AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been slowly building my HTPC for a while now. One limiting factor is I have been waiting for the Sony DRU 500A dvd burner. Basically I heard about it a few months ago. Was waiting for it to come out and that time has come. Has anyone tried it out yet? It's big advantage is that it supports all the major DVD formats DVD +R/RW and DVD -R/RW. I havn't seen many articles on it so I can't point you all to a link only thing I found (other than sites selling the drive is at):

http://www.dvdplusrw.org/pc/leaflets/sony_dru500a.pdf

Looks promising...what does everyone think?

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Everything I've read shows the Sony to be a good drive. I personally don't think being both + and - compatible is that big a deal which is why I just picked up a Pioneer. One thing to pay close attention to is what software is included.

Good luck with whatever drive you get.

·
Registered
554 Posts
The Pioneer has front air vents - a consideration if they wil be blocked off by some custom aluminum HTPC case.

OTOH the Pioneer is an HTPC friendly drive with slow media rotational speed and quiet fans for when playing DVD-Video

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies and the link. Excelent point about the noise. Has anyone heard how loud this drive is. I am not as concerend about noise while buring just while playing.

·
Registered
253 Posts
mine seems pretty quiet and quite reliable. much better than the previous sony +r/+rw i had.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I was considering this drive, but the negative comments on the cnet site (link above) really makes me think I should wait. I want a good solid software package with whatever drive I get, and the bundled package's reviews are less than stellar.

It does sound like the hardware itself is pretty decent. --Karl

·
Registered
343 Posts
I have been using the DRU-500A for about 3 weeks now. This is a great burner but if you were testing it out using the garbage software that is bundled with it you'd think it was a piece of crap. The latest Nero and the latest Easy CD Creator work fabulous with it. Every piece of software that came included in the bundle I have since uninstalled. Some of it was so bad it would keep booting my machine!

Regards,

Kirby

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.