1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
I'm a little upset at Sony. As huge of a proponent they are towards firewire (I-Link) they don't have it on these two models!!!!! They have it on the low level RDR-VD6 (VHS) and the GX7, why not on these.

I love the Sony looks but I need a firewire connection. Right now I'm looking at the Panasonic E100H.

Troy

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
What is the advantage of firewire? DV or D8 are not the same format as what the DVD recorders use, so it has to be converted to MPEG4", is it?, anyway.

Do you really lose that much with an S video or composite connection from a high res camcorder?

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Giga,

The DVD recorders use MPEG2 to record to DVD, it's the DVD standard.

Quote:
Do you really lose that much with an S video or composite connection from a high res camcorder?
Yes you do, plus you have to go though the whole D/A - A/D conversion with S-video and composite before it writes to DVD. With firewire it's lossless and straight digital so you get much better quality.

From a convenience perspective, you transfer digtal audio and video via firewire on one cable whereas you'd have to have analog audio and analog video, two seperate cables otherwise.

Thirdly, when editing, you can control the DV camcorder via the DVD recorder to quickly eliminate scenes you don't need.

Troy

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
Geez what a gaffe. Why does Sony even question why their sales are down in areas. They always seem to make a few boneheaded decisions in every catagory. I agree..I didn't buy a Minidv to go analog in.

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Quote:
Yes you do, plus you have to go though the whole D/A - A/D conversion with S-video and composite before it writes to DVD. With firewire it's lossless and straight digital so you get much better quality.
Not exactly lossless, it still has to convert DV avi (which is a compressed video format) to MPEG 2, so even though this is conducted in the digital domain, there are losses and quality hits associated with converting and re-encoding from one lossy format (DV) to another more highly compressed lossy format (mpeg2).

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
VFerrari,

Quote:
With firewire it's lossless and straight digital so you get much better quality.
My quote above was in terms of the actual transfer process which is a lossless digital transfer straight to the DVD recorder. I figured we all knew it would have to go through the MPEG2 conversion which would account for a very, very slight loss.

If you did s-video/composite, you've already lost a lot of detail with the first D/A conversion, then the second A/D prior to the MPEG2 conversion, then the MPEG2 conversion. So with analog connections, the loss is much, much greater and probably more noticeable.

In comparision to composite (yuck!) or s-video, the firewire connection is at least 3 steps above in terms of video and audio quality, which was the line of questioning. I didn't imply that the actual process from camcorder to burned DVD is lossless.

Troy

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Quote:
If you did s-video/composite, you've already lost a lot of detail with the first D/A conversion, then the second A/D prior to the MPEG2 conversion, then the MPEG2 conversion. So with analog connections, the loss is much, much greater and probably more noticeable.
My practical (though admittedly subjective) experience with the Panny HS2 is that any loss or difference in PQ between analog in (s-video) and firewire in using a digital 8 source is not visibly noticeable (instrumentation may tell another story). I think you may be overemphasizing the impact of the A/D conversion steps on signal degradation. In any event, I use the firewire connection because of the auto device control features and, yes, because I only have to hook up one cable (convenience).

·
Registered
654 Posts
I would have to agree based on my experience with the E80. While there may be greater potential for degradation with the extra D/A-A/D conversions, this doesn't seem to be much of a problem in my experience.

The bandwidth of the analog signal (s-video in this case) is easily capable of transmitting the full fidelity of the relatively low res signal. So you should be able to mantain quality if you have decent D/A and A/D on either side of the analog signal cable. (the E80 and my Sony DV cam seem to do pretty well here) Cable-quality is also more critical for analog, as it is NOT forgiving of noise, as digital tends to be.

If you have the Firewire option, by all means use it, but you can still get acceptable quality without it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.