AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Very interesting. Any opinions on the reliability of the price projection, it seems like a large drop in price for improved technology? I wonder if the price projection is a street price rather than retail. That would seem reasonable. I don't want to get my hopes up and then get disappointed.

It looks like this one may actually be capable of 720p as well!!

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
I would guess that those are MSRP estimates, and if the actual MSRP is different, I would expect it to be lower (I think the original MSRP estimate on the 34XBR800 was 2800 or so, competition is a wonderful thing). A finer grill should make for a nice improvement ... I wouldn't expect native 720p display support though. "More dots, better image" is easily marketable. "Native 720p display" is, unfortunately, lost on alot of buyers.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by gdgeisler
Very interesting. Any opinions on the reliability of the price projection, it seems like a large drop in price for improved technology? I
The new set is listed there at $2800, the 34XBR800 listed at $2500.

Looks like improved resolution, but at increased price.

Supposed to hit the street in July. Will be tempting, but I will stay with my 34XBR800. Who knows what will show up in the future.

Phil

·
Registered
421 Posts
I was having a hard time getting the page to load (server load problems). So here is the text (and attached image - image of the kv30xbr910):

SONY DEVELOPS HIGHER RESOLUTION FD TRINITRON WEGA TVS FOR PREMIUM CRT PICTURE PERFORMANCE

30- and 34-inch Widescreen Models With New Super Fine Pitch CRT Deliver Ultimate High Definition Viewing Experience

LAS VEGAS (CES, Booth #N109), Jan. 8, 2003 - The Trinitron® XBR® television legacy carries on as Sony Electronics today announced two new XBR series widescreen FD Trinitron WEGA® models with advanced picture technologies for reproducing the highest quality picture resolution ever on a CRT-based television.

The two new Hi-Scan 1080i models, the KV-34XBR910 and KV-30XBR910, incorporate a proprietary Super Fine Pitch CRT, optimized for displaying high definition video content when paired with a HD receiver, recreating unparalleled picture images.

"The best got even better. Sony's legacy of television innovation continues, with the new XBR models, offering breathtaking picture clarity never before seen on a CRT television," said Tim Baxter, senior vice president of marketing for Sony Electronics' Visual Network Products Division. "Sony has incorporated its most advanced picture technologies in the new models for discerning home theater enthusiasts seeking an optimized high-definition picture display. These new models will set a new standard in picture performance in the CRT television category and raise the already legendary status of XBR TVs to a new level."

Super Fine Pitch CRT

Created especially for displaying high resolution pictures like high-definition broadcast, the new Super Fine Pitch CRT features the proprietary Super Fine Pitch Aperture Grill with 65 percent increased number of vertical "slits," which improve image resolution, for crisp, brilliant, highest picture quality reproduction from corner to corner.

Together with a new electron gun and high intensity luminescent phosphor, the Super Fine Pitch CRT delivers exceptional picture performance. The improvement is immediately noticeable, with no visible vertical lines on the screen and higher resolution to all corners.

Powerful Convenience Features

Expanding upon last year's Memory Stick® media functionality, the new KV-34XBR910 includes MPEG1 file playback, in addition to viewing JPEG images. Viewers can now watch their favorite video files recorded onto the Memory Stick media directly on the new widescreen set1.

For the best digital connection, the KV-34-XBR910 incorporates a Digital Visual Interface (DVI-HDTV) connection that enables copy-protected, high-definition video content to be delivered to the unit from a DVI/HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection) compatible set-top box, such as Sony's new SAT-HD200 HD/DIRECTV receiver.

In addition, the new model features an Anti-Reflective Coating screen that minimizes glare for an even more enjoyable home theater experience.

Sony Breaks Ground In The Widescreen Category

Responding to an increased demand for widescreen Hi-Scan® television sets, the KV-30XBR910 represents Sony's first widescreen XBR model in the 30-inch screen size. Incorporating all the enhanced performance technologies and convenience features found in the KV-34XBR910, the new 30-inch model also incorporates the Super Fine Pitch CRT, delivering outstanding picture quality from corner to corner.

The KV-34XBR910 and KV30XBR910 WEGA TVs will be available in July for about $2,800 and $2,200, respectively.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by HuskerHarley
New Sony KV-34/30XBR910
This numbering makes me wonder what happened to the XBR900 :)

65% more vertical slots. Sounds like a big improvement, for close up viewing. But I have to get within 5 ft to see the XBR800 slots, so likely this makes no practical difference at 7 ft or so.

But I'm sure the XBR910 will be at least an incremental improvement. And there are usually unpublished improvements, those which fix some unadmitted past design flaw -- though I see little of that in the XBR800 series.

Its planned release in July will create a dilemma for anyone who has been planning to buy a 34XBR800 soon. Plus 34XBR800 prices are likely to drop between now and July.

Phil

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
I think the KV-34xbr800 + stand is a work of art. This new set, in my opinion, looks TERRIBLE. Even with improved resolution, I would rather have my KV-34xbr800 over that new set any day.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Does it appear from the picture that you must use the Sony stand?

·
Registered
421 Posts
Cliff, there is a picture of it w/o the stand on Sony's site.

xfactor and phil, you both have xbr800's don't you. art is in the eye of the beholder, or holder :) .

I love January, CES and Detroit Autoshow. All kinds of new toys announced.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jcblack
Cliff, there is a picture of it w/o the stand on Sony's site. xfactor and phil, you both have xbr800's don't you. art is in the eye of the beholder, or holder :) .
Don't hang the art comment on me. To me the best "art" a TV can provide is a good picture. And I have yet to see a 910 in operation :)

Phil

·
Registered
171 Posts
The best thing about the announcement of this new set is that it will drive the price of the XBR800 down, especially once the 910 actually hits shelves.

This is great news for those of us who are planning to purchase an XBR800 this summer. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Cliff Sprungl
Does it appear from the picture that you must use the Sony stand?
I was wondering the same thing. If you look at the picture of the tv without the stand, it looks like the two sides of it hang down more than the rest of the bottom. I don't know how it would sit on a flat surface.

·
Registered
56 Posts
From Sony's press release:

"Expanding upon last year's Memory Stick® media functionality, the new KV-34XBR910 includes MPEG1 file playback, in addition to viewing JPEG images. Viewers can now watch their favorite video files recorded onto the Memory Stick media directly on the new widescreen set1."

----------

1. It doesn't appear that the 34XBR910 is compatible with the new Memory Stick Pro - but can probably handle the new Memory Stick Select ... does anybody know for sure?

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Quote:
This new set, in my opinion, looks TERRIBLE
I would MUCH rather have a black frame around my set while watching TV ... biggest complaint about the Sony is all that silver is too distracting when the TV is on (even if it looks nice when the TV is off). Good move, Sony, going to black.

·
Registered
240 Posts
The news release boasts about an increase of 65% in the number of slits in the aperature grill. Can we assume that there is also a 65% increase in the number of phosphor triplets on the screen?

If so, this would seem to imply a 65% increase in the number of horizontal pixels above the 34XBR800. I measured about 800 triplets horizontally on my 34XBR800. The rule of thumb seems to be 1 pixel per 2/3 of a triplet, or 1200 pixels for the 34XBR800. A 65% increase would suggest about 1980 pixels for the 34XBR910 - that's full 1080i horizontal resolution, better than today's plasmas - stuck at around 1600 pixels.

What about the video bandwith? Has it been increased above the 34XBR800's 30Mhz. to do justice to the new CRT?

And lastly, as the pitch of the new aperture grill begins to approach the same as computer monitors, has there been some sacrifice in total light output compared to 34XBR800?

·
Registered
748 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dt_dc
I would MUCH rather have a black frame around my set while watching TV ... biggest complaint about the Sony is all that silver is too distracting when the TV is on (even if it looks nice when the TV is off). Good move, Sony, going to black.
I really like the looks of the 34XBR800, sitting in my living room in my modified stereo cabinet. I even like the silver look of it. And I really find the picture on good source material to be excellent.

But, that said, I think Sony did a good thing with the design of the XBR910. Lots of potential buyers want the black look. And, from looking at the jpegs on line, I do not think it will need the Sony stand; looks to me like it will sit just fine on a flat surface.

Not that I will be running out to buy one in July or whenever: I suspect that the added resolution will not matter at my 7-8 ft viewing distance (and it is hard to imagine sitting 4 ft from a 34" direct view set!). My next set will likely be a "really big" one and *not* CRT RPTV, at a time when much more of the content is HD or at least digital -- say in about five years. Until then, the 34XBR800 will serve me well and provide plenty of "wow" factor for HD broadcast and DVDs.

Phil

·
Registered
421 Posts
I wonder if this will be more capable as a computer monitor than the 800? less overscan and higher res? who knows. just a thought.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jcblack
I wonder if this will be more capable as a computer monitor than the 800? less overscan and higher res?
If you sit close enough (less than 4-5 ft), the added resolution could definitely be a plus. But, not into using a TV as a monitor nor as a video game display, I'm speculating.

There seems no reason to assume the XBR910s will have less out-of-the-box overscan. And that can be adjusted in the Service Menu, anyway.

Phil

·
Registered
15 Posts
Finally Sony is coming out with a 30inches HDTV. That's the only size that can fit in my setup. I wonder what are going to be the actual physical dimensions of the 30inches set. Anybody knows?

1 - 20 of 95 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.