AVS Forum banner

121 - 140 of 302 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
I just got back from Best Buy to check out the 65 inch model. I noticed with the TV off or between scenes the screen is very glossy. Almost like a mirror. Anyone with a 65 inch have the same type screen.
I thought it was supposed to be semi-gloss.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I just got back from Best Buy to check out the 65 inch model. I noticed with the TV off or between scenes the screen is very glossy. Almost like a mirror. Anyone with a 65 inch have the same type screen.
I thought it was supposed to be semi-gloss.
Every IPS panel is like that, the 55" is less glossy but nowhere near matte (nor is any tv really).

Can you give us the settings that gave you these black levels?
It would be nice to use standard settings to show off black levels indeed. The 65" posted before his clearly had much longer exposure, and given long enough exposure you can make any VA panel LCD look the same :eek: (especially off-angle).
I found these settings on Rtings but my own camera can't use them exactly: ISO-200, 2" and F4.0, 6500K white balance. ISO 100 and 1" supposedly should be the same as ISO 200 2" but I don't have the slightest clue when it comes to photography settings/numbers :D.

edit: but of course you meant picture settings on his tv I just realized :angel:

·
Registered
263 Posts
I got the 65x810c since October. Have had no issues at all and we have to watch it from off angles and.no matter where we sit it looks great. Couldn't be happier with the set.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would like to give my two cents worth.

I was on the market on Black Friday to replace my 46 inch Sony KDL-46W4100 that I bought in 2008 with any TV that I thought looked good and was inexpensive. It needs to be noted that before Black Friday I didn't know much about the new technology that was out there and had no clue about 4K televisions. At 5am on Black Friday, I was at the local Navy Exchange shaking my head at all of the choices between HDTVs and 4K televisions while dodging all of the customers who were frantically making purchases for Christmas. I was totally unprepared for the process of finding a new television so I left the building empty handed.

After that debacle, I decided to make a concentrated effort to find a new 4K television that fitted my needs. I traveled to Wal-Mart, Target, Best Buy and HH Gregg. I became very knowledgeable thanks to customer service reps as well as reading websites like rtings.com, Amazon.com, Bestbuy.com and CNET. I read forums (to include this one). I even made a spreadsheet with the TVs I wanted, the prices, the specs and where to buy them for the best price. After 13 days of intense analysis of several different televisions spanning several different brands, I decided to get the Sony XBR55X810C. The specs looked good on paper, it was highly rated on rtings.com, Best Buy and Amazon and was at a price point I was comfortable with at the Navy Exchange ($979).

I brought it home and connected it with my Denon AVR-S710W receiver, Sony Blu Ray Player, DirecTV and PS3. I did the updates and when everything was completed and I turned everything on. The television picture looked okay, but not quite what I was expecting. I fiddled around with the custom settings provided by rtings.com and wasn't thrilled with the dim picture. By reading the forum postings, I knew that the broadcast picture off of DirecTV is not supposed to look as good as 4K, but for some reason my older HDTV had a better picture than the new 4K television. I watched a couple of Blu Ray movies which upscaled to 4K (300 and Star Wars Episode III). The picture looked much better. I played the 4K content of of Youtube and the picture looked sharp. Then over the weekend I tried to watch an NFL game broadcast over DirecTV and I found myself activating the live football mode to get the colors to pop out on the teams' jerseys. I never had to do that with the older television. Not to mention that unless I sit directly in front of the television, the color would fade or become distorted thanks to the VA panel. Everybody says that you cant get the true verdict of a televisions performance at the retail store. The television was given a chance, but I just wasn't happy with what I was going through.

Then...something great happened. The Navy Exchange was selling the 65 inch 810c for $1300 and with a scratch off coupon which revealed at 10% discount, I was able to get the TV out the door for $1170. After returning the 55 inch model and getting my money back, I only had to pay $190 extra. Despite knowing that the VA panel has better contrast and that the IPS panel was going to lack in that area, I decided that it was worth the risk. Once I got it home and hooked everything up, I was much happier. For some reason, the colors didn't look so faded out of the box. There is still some tweaking to do with the picture settings, but it just looks better overall. Not to mention that the viewing angle is much better. The distortion is not nearly as bad as the VA panel. Yes, the contrast isn't as great as the 55 inch model, but I am used to an older HDTV which didn't have the contrast that today's models have. It still produces an excellent picture. This television doesn't have some of the bleed through other customers have and overall the picture looks really good. Especially with 4k Streaming off of Youtube and with Blu Ray upscaling.

Would I like to have a higher end Sony or Samsung? Sure I would! Are do they have better picture quality? Sure they do! But I cant afford them. I based my decision as the best mixture of television viewing, movie watching and playing games all at a good price point. The 810c series has good overall scores on everything to include jutter free viewing for movies, low lag times for playing video games, good viewing angle and high contrast ratio even though the 65 inch IPS panel is not as good. The XBR65X810c has all of the necessary hardware to keep is current with the 4K trend for years to come. It is a quality television at a good price.

To those of you who are on the fence about buying this model, do your homework and don't be afraid to try one out at the store and bring one home. If you don't like the picture quality, that is what receipts are for. Turn it back in and get something different. At least you will have the piece of mind that you tried the TV you and gave it a chance. But if you have done your homework and take a little time to set things up right, you will find that this is a great television that will perform well in any task you give it.

·
Registered
549 Posts
What is the "wide mode full" bug a few people are complaining about on Amazon? Has it been resolved in the latest firmware. I'm thinking about purchasing this tv today after nearly a month of going back on forth on which model is the best for me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
What is the "wide mode full" bug a few people are complaining about on Amazon? Has it been resolved in the latest firmware. I'm thinking about purchasing this tv today after nearly a month of going back on forth on which model is the best for me.
I am new here, but yes it was fixed in a recent update confirmed by a few on this forum in another thread. :D

·
Registered
752 Posts

I was on the market on Black Friday to replace my 46 inch Sony KDL-46W4100 that I bought in 2008 with any TV that I thought looked good and was inexpensive. It needs to be noted that before Black Friday I didn't know much about the new technology that was out there and had no clue about 4K televisions. At 5am on Black Friday, I was at the local Navy Exchange shaking my head at all of the choices between HDTVs and 4K televisions while dodging all of the customers who were frantically making purchases for Christmas. I was totally unprepared for the process of finding a new television so I left the building empty handed.

After that debacle, I decided to make a concentrated effort to find a new 4K television that fitted my needs. I traveled to Wal-Mart, Target, Best Buy and HH Gregg. I became very knowledgeable thanks to customer service reps as well as reading websites like rtings.com, Amazon.com, Bestbuy.com and CNET. I read forums (to include this one). I even made a spreadsheet with the TVs I wanted, the prices, the specs and where to buy them for the best price. After 13 days of intense analysis of several different televisions spanning several different brands, I decided to get the Sony XBR55X810C. The specs looked good on paper, it was highly rated on rtings.com, Best Buy and Amazon and was at a price point I was comfortable with at the Navy Exchange ($979).

I brought it home and connected it with my Denon AVR-S710W receiver, Sony Blu Ray Player, DirecTV and PS3. I did the updates and when everything was completed and I turned everything on. The television picture looked okay, but not quite what I was expecting. I fiddled around with the custom settings provided by rtings.com and wasn't thrilled with the dim picture. By reading the forum postings, I knew that the broadcast picture off of DirecTV is not supposed to look as good as 4K, but for some reason my older HDTV had a better picture than the new 4K television. I watched a couple of Blu Ray movies which upscaled to 4K (300 and Star Wars Episode III). The picture looked much better. I played the 4K content of of Youtube and the picture looked sharp. Then over the weekend I tried to watch an NFL game broadcast over DirecTV and I found myself activating the live football mode to get the colors to pop out on the teams' jerseys. I never had to do that with the older television. Not to mention that unless I sit directly in front of the television, the color would fade or become distorted thanks to the VA panel. Everybody says that you cant get the true verdict of a televisions performance at the retail store. The television was given a chance, but I just wasn't happy with what I was going through.

Then...something great happened. The Navy Exchange was selling the 65 inch 810c for $1300 and with a scratch off coupon which revealed at 10% discount, I was able to get the TV out the door for $1170. After returning the 55 inch model and getting my money back, I only had to pay $190 extra. Despite knowing that the VA panel has better contrast and that the IPS panel was going to lack in that area, I decided that it was worth the risk. Once I got it home and hooked everything up, I was much happier. For some reason, the colors didn't look so faded out of the box. There is still some tweaking to do with the picture settings, but it just looks better overall. Not to mention that the viewing angle is much better. The distortion is not nearly as bad as the VA panel. Yes, the contrast isn't as great as the 55 inch model, but I am used to an older HDTV which didn't have the contrast that today's models have. It still produces an excellent picture. This television doesn't have some of the bleed through other customers have and overall the picture looks really good. Especially with 4k Streaming off of Youtube and with Blu Ray upscaling.

Would I like to have a higher end Sony or Samsung? Sure I would! Are do they have better picture quality? Sure they do! But I cant afford them. I based my decision as the best mixture of television viewing, movie watching and playing games all at a good price point. The 810c series has good overall scores on everything to include jutter free viewing for movies, low lag times for playing video games, good viewing angle and high contrast ratio even though the 65 inch IPS panel is not as good. The XBR65X810c has all of the necessary hardware to keep is current with the 4K trend for years to come. It is a quality television at a good price.

To those of you who are on the fence about buying this model, do your homework and don't be afraid to try one out at the store and bring one home. If you don't like the picture quality, that is what receipts are for. Turn it back in and get something different. At least you will have the piece of mind that you tried the TV you and gave it a chance. But if you have done your homework and take a little time to set things up right, you will find that this is a great television that will perform well in any task you give it.
Almost pulled the trigger on the NEX deal for the 65X810C. Instead I got 65X850C for 1700 out the door. I'm not going to accept delivery till after CES2016 to see if it is going to be compartible with final UHD standards.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts

I got the X810 55" VA panel to replace a made-in-2002 Sony 32" CRT with a failing power supply. I'm glad I got the VA panel which, as rtings.com reports, has a decent contrast ratio. Compared with the CRT or my JVC projector it is just acceptable, but affordable compared to OLED which I almost got but thought better of due to cost, primarily. If one doesn't go beyond about 10 degrees off viewing angle, the 810 55" is all right. But beyond, say, 20 degrees, colors desaturate markedly while luminance or lightness doesn't, resulting in a washed out picture. So, it's a great "sweet spot" set, but really not good if your audience or you will be seated much off angle.

Also, do not leave the light sensor on. It will really dim the picture if there's any light present in your viewing room and, even at night with no lights on, I think it dims too much.

I've had no issues with comcast hd or other source upscaling poorly, and the apps work OK. I like that part of the set. Haven't used USB.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Just got this tv.

I have noticed that the colors in the edges of the tv are not uniform at all.

Is this light bleed?

Thoughts?
What settings were you using when that picture was taken? Mine has a bit of a band/bleed on the right edge but doesn't seem to be anywhere near as large as yours. I will try to take a picture next time I am on that screen.

·
Registered
28 Posts
What settings were you using when that picture was taken? Mine has a bid of a band/bleed on the right edge but doesn't seem to be anywhere near as large as yours. I will try to take a picture next time I am on that screen.
Pretty close to stock settings. The TV is in "Game Mode" and I lowered the brightness settings to reduce the bleed, but that is about it.

I have attached two additional photos that I took yesterday that really show the problem.

I am really disappointed in the TV.

Attachments

·
Registered
549 Posts
Pretty close to stock settings. The TV is in "Game Mode" and I lowered the brightness settings to reduce the bleed, but that is about it.

I have attached two additional photos that I took yesterday that really show the problem.

You might have just got unlucky then. Did you buy it from somewhere that you can easily make an exchange?

BTW do you have any idea what the default brightness level is? The reset picture option doesn't seem to change anything on the main page. Like I said I'll take a picture of mine later so you can compare when I get the chance.

·
Registered
28 Posts
You might have just got unlucky then. Did you buy it from somewhere that you can easily make an exchange?

BTW do you have any idea what the default brightness level is? The reset picture option doesn't seem to change anything on the main page. Like I said I'll take a picture of mine later so you can compare when I get the chance.
I have requested a replacement from Amazon, they will send me an exchange unit in a little over 3 weeks :( . Hopefully it is just bad luck, I don't want to go through the return process again.

I can't recall the default brightness setting (25? maybe) but I believe mine is set at about "15" or so.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I have requested a replacement from Amazon, they will send me an exchange unit in a little over 3 weeks :( . Hopefully it is just bad luck, I don't want to go through the return process again.

I can't recall the default brightness setting (25? maybe) but I believe mine is set at about "15" or so.
You know it is hard to compare with our cameras. Photos tend to make the problem look worse than it is but after further examination mine seems to have it in the same areas as yours but not as bad. At least with Amazon you should be able to look at the new one with the tv you have side by side. I got mine from Best Buy so with the holiday return period I have about 3 1/2 weeks to exchange it. I will keep an eye on the right border in case it gets worse with use. Some people claim you can improve clouding by rubbing and applying pressure to the area with a microfiber cloth. As you are getting a new tv anyway you could try that just for the heck of it lol. If your new set looks perfect I may consider swapping mine if it starts to bug me. Right now I only really notice it on screens that I am testing with. The default brightness is actually 30, if you lower it to 20 or 15 which is probably a better value anyway I don't see the bleed at all.

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts

I have the EXACT same problem as you. The bad news is... the problem persisted with a replacement. The only difference is the glow doesn't go as far into the center as the last, but still the exact problem.

A staff member over at Rtings told me it varies in intensity between sets, but the entire model line has the issue. If true sounds like I might as well "give up" and try to get my money back. I'm skeptical if the store (Electronic Express) will comply tho, as I bought the TV over a month ago and had done a replacement with them a week ago.

What I don't understand about it is how it varies. On my desktop, which is a solid black background, there is no side glow. Yet if I play a video or open certain websites, there is. I can even minimize and hover the video over my desktop; desktop is perfectly black and the video has the glow. Movies have the glow, and it seems to varies in the scenes when playing video games.

Just what is this? Shouldn't the glow just always be there?

I have my brightness low, on 5. However I did notice that changing the Black Level from 50 down to 30 really cuts down on the issue when watching movies and stuff... but that results in the blacks getting crushed.

·
Registered
549 Posts

I have the EXACT same problem as you. The bad news is... the problem persisted with a replacement. The only difference is the glow doesn't go as far into the center as the last, but still the exact problem.

A staff member over at Rtings told me it varies in intensity between sets, but the entire model line has the issue. If true sounds like I might as well "give up" and try to get my money back. I'm skeptical if the store (Electronic Express) will comply tho, as I bought the TV over a month ago and had done a replacement with them a week ago.
Hey guys I ended up replacing my set after finding during certain content types the bleed/glow was far worse than I thought. I've been playing with my new one since Saturday night and it is perfect so there is hope. Compare the new pictures to the ones in my previous post. The original was probably better than some but the small amount of bleed it had on the right side was really noticeable in dark scenes and with certain colors.

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
As much as I love the TV for everything but the bleed... I'm changing to something completely different. After going through two and them having the same problems I'm not going to keep pushing it, especially as the store can eventually refuse to stop letting me exchange. Now the hunt is on for what other TV I should get.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I read rtings review, and the TV looks good but I'm concerned about the extremely dark corners that they mention.

For folks in this thread that have the TV - is this an issue for your TV or perhaps was it a defect on the tv rtings got?
It does have dark corners but its not something that stands out while watching movies or playing ps4. I mostly see it on the home page of the tv

121 - 140 of 302 Posts