AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a new Sony KDE 42xs955. I am considering a cable card for use with it. The cable company tells me that the communication with the car is one way so I lose PPV, Tivo capability and the on screen TV listings. I also have a DVR/DVD (Panny) thwt has on screen TV guide downloading and recording capability. This currently works with analog cable. I would think that if I run the cable directly into the DVR and then to the TV (with the cable card) I should be able to at least record the analog signal using the on screen TV guide coming into the DVR. However I am not sure. Also in order to utilize the dual screen capablity will in need to use a splitter to input the cable signal into the TV (it looks like it has two different cable inputs)?

Anybody have any ideas or input.

Thx

·
Super Moderator
21,527 Posts
Cablecards can provide better PQ than an external stb but the current generation one way card has limited functionality: the cablecos hate them because they can not sell PPV (although I heard you can still order PPV by phone) and because very few cards have been deployed and there are lots of problems getting them to work

your idea of using the DVR guide sounds interesting but I have no idea how you could hook it up

Cards are cheap: little or no monthly charge but there is a mandatory installation fee: you might want to give it a try

·
Registered
65 Posts
Depends on your cable company. Brighthouse is reasonable. Comcast is a rip off for the cable card. They want $50 per card for install. 15$ per month for the first card (same as a stb) and 6$ per month for additional cards. They make you want to go to satellite. (Those are actual quoted prices from comcast customer service)

·
Premium Member
18,319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by perfect5storm
Depends on your cable company. Brighthouse is reasonable. Comcast is a rip off for the cable card. They want $50 per card for install. 15$ per month for the first card (same as a stb) and 6$ per month for additional cards. They make you want to go to satellite. (Those are actual quoted prices from comcast customer service).
Wow Comcast sux! I guess i'm lucky with TWC - they didn't charge me to install the card and it would have been only $1.75 per month but i only had it for a few weeks then returned it. I had been willing to keep it but i really only got it to see what it's like and to compare the picture quality to my cable DVRs and regular HD cable box i normally use in another room.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got the card today. Nothing working on the digital or premium services. Analog ok. The tech is coming back tomorrow. Already the cable company has made at least 5 pitches for a box. Can see this shaping up as a problem

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.