AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I had a look at this new Sony LCD projector (new to Australia that is)(spec's at www.sony.com.au.)

In a light controled room with a viewing distance of approx. 12 feet, projected onto a white wall with a 6 foot wide picture, the image didn't look too bad. There was of course screen door, although not that bad from 12 feet back. Blacks were OK - I got the sales rep to play the opening of Lost in Space to get a feel for the black level. To my untrained eye the black level looked on par with the 10HT playing in the next room (on a much larger screen).

The projector was fed PAL interlaced signal from a low-end Sony DVD player (no PAL progressive players yet).

From the spec's -

. the projector has 3 LCD panels, 1 lens;

. LCD pannels: 1,440,00 pixels (400,000 pixels a 3)

. 1.2 times zooms lens;

. 120 W UHP lamp (2,000 hours I'm told by the sales rep);

. Coverage 40 to 150 inches diagonal;

. Resolution: Video 600 tv lines, RGB: 800 x 600 pixels native resolution;

. Acceptable video signals: composite, s-video, 15k component, progressive component;

. video in (conposite): RCA Connector

. video in: Y/C (s-video): mini DIN 4-pin connector;

. PJ multi-in: 32 pin multi connector (composite, s-video, 15k component, RGB signals);

. memory stick slot x 1 for JPEG image playback.

. Also has vertical and horizontal keystone correction.

I didn't get the lumens or contrast spec's and cannot find it on the web at this stage, although I would guess roughly about 800 lumens and 400:1 contast (at a stretch).

Do you think this would be a reasonable projector for interlaced DVD play-back, bearing in mind that the 10HT is around $13,000 OZ and the model I have detailed above retails for $6,000 OZ. For comparison the LT150 is around $8,000 OZ, NEC VT 540 - $7,500 OZ, LP-350 - $7,600 OZ, LT 155 $8,600 OZ.

With high def digital TV in Australia still a long way from soughting itself out, I was hoping to get into a reasonably priced projector to keep me entertained for the next few years.

Any opinions are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I had a look at it too on the weekend. Colours seemed very rich, but the screendoor was quite noticable and anytime text came up, it seems very blocky, but in fairness, it should have been set up closer to the wall (no screen setup).

Should point out that you can get the nec vt540 for $6k just a half block down the street http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Todd

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Nickoff:
Do you think this would be a reasonable projector for interlaced DVD play-back, bearing in mind that the 10HT is around $13,000 OZ and the model I have detailed above retails for $6,000 OZ. For comparison the LT150 is around $8,000 OZ, NEC VT 540 - $7,500 OZ, LP-350 - $7,600 OZ, LT 155 $8,600 OZ.
Go for the Infocus LP-350.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
TotallyODD

Where did you see the VT 540 "half a block down the street"?? Do you knwo anywhere else I can get to see a DLP set up and running??

·
Registered
218 Posts
Douglas HiFi on Murray St has a "special" on the vt540 for 6k, but you can also find it on estore for the same price. They had one in a week or so ago and they are arranging to get it back so I can have a look.

Daniel is the guy there that seems to handle the front projectors, pop in and arrange to have a look (and another models you may want to have a look at).

As far as dlp goes, Surround Sounds in Nedlands has one running, but not I'm sure on the model. SimplyHiFi in Subi had an older svga Dwin setup, but they were getting an xga model in to demo, but I'm not sure if it was going to be permanently on display. They also had a Panamorph demo running off the Dwin (the reason I popped in to have a look) but again, I'm not sure how long they will have it.

Todd

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Todd

Thanks for the tip. I was in Douglas yesterday looking at the Marantz SR19 on speacial for $2999 but I didn't notice any projectors set up, other than the crt job downstairs.

With the Sony, were you able to determine if it had true 16:9 playback or was it letterboxed? The sales rep I spoke to at the Sony store didn't seem to know.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Douglas have got a toshiba setup in the same room (ceiling mounted and at the very back) but have told me they can get just about any model in to demo. They just set it up on the box covering the crt, so its hardly an ideal setup.

The sony is a 4:3 projector, so it would letterboxed to achieve 16:9 and above.

Todd

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Todd

Cheers and thanks for the advice. Do you recall the Tosh model and price?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tod

The Tosh on display is around $14,000 !!! Way over my budget. I have also booked in with Douglas HiFi to have a look at the vt540. Might see you there.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Hey Nick

Did you arrange to see the vt540 or 440? Because today they told me the distributor was out of stock (for the 540) and they couldn't any in to demo for several weeks. But they had a group of people in to see the 440 next Wednesday.

Todd

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I did ask to see the 540. I spoke to Patricia and when she wrote my name down I also saw your name on the same sheet of paper. They have not contacted me about the 440 and next Wednesday is no good for me anyway with work. How does the 440 compare to the 540, is it a lower model? I will have to search the forum and find out.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Quote:

As far as dlp goes, Surround Sounds in Nedlands has one running, but not

I'm sure on the model. SimplyHiFi in Subi had an older svga Dwin setup, but

they were getting an xga model in to demo, but I'm not sure if it was going

to be permanently on display. They also had a Panamorph demo running

off the Dwin (the reason I popped in to have a look) but again, I'm not sure

how long they will have it.

Todd
Todd just a correction in that Dwin do not make a SVGA. They only have an XGA called the Transvision which has its own outboard scaler. If it was SVGA it must have been something else.

see: www.dwin.com

DavidW

[This message has been edited by David Wallis (edited 09-06-2001).]

·
Registered
218 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by David Wallis:
Todd just a correction in that Dwin do not make a SVGA. They only have an XGA called the Transvision which has its own outboard scaler. If it was SVGA it must have been something else.

see: www.dwin.com

DavidW

[This message has been edited by David Wallis (edited 09-06-2001).]
Yep (smacks self on head). I meant Dreamvision. The panamorph, which I went to have a look at, is distributed by the same company as the dwin here (and which was also going to demoed), so that is how I must have gotten the two confused.

Thanks

Todd

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Being SVGA I assume it would look something like the new Sony which, as you have mentioned earlier, does have quite a noticable pixel structure (went and looked at it again).

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Another question Todd. Have you ever seen the LT-150 that everyone on this site seems to rave about? Would would like to see one in operation and see if I'm suseptable to rainbows.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Havent seen the 150.

On the dlps I have seen, I have noticed rainbows on some, but I find when I am looking for them, I see them, when just concetrating on the movie, I forget all about them.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.