AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 363 Posts

·
Registered
8,360 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraine /forum/post/17005019

SONY will present one, of his new projector at the IFA SHOW 2009 in Berlin, the VPL-VW 85

http://www.cinetson.org/phpBB3/proje...0.html#p488934

Here some specs :

100000:1 Contrast with D.I.

20 DB

Bravo engine 2

800 Lumens

Pannels alignment

2 Triggers

Horizontal and vertical motorized lens shift

Price TBE : 8000 euros

Cool - thanks! So VW80 60k:1 and VW85 100k:1. Native CR for the VW80 was measured around 11k:1. So I'd hope for 18k:1 or 19k:1 for the VW85. Still not a match for the native CR of the JVC HD750. But getting nearer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraine /forum/post/17005019

P.S. : A second one is also expected

Do you mean the HW10 replacement? Or do you mean a model above the VW85?

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
SONY will present two new projectors on the occasion of a press conference on September 2nd, 2009 in BERLIN. I still ignore which one but I hope and wait for the VPL-VW 300 or for the HW 20.

·
Registered
23,188 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi /forum/post/17005320

Cool - thanks! So VW80 60k:1 and VW85 100k:1. Native CR for the VW80 was measured around 11k:1. So I'd hope for 18k:1 or 19k:1 for the VW85. Still not a match for the native CR of the JVC HD750. But getting nearer.

I could get 100k:1 dynamic with my VW80 through the service menu, but it was a big multiplier and still preferred the RS20's contrast ratio. I hope that Sony has upped native on/off CR a reasonable amount and didn't get there mostly with a bigger multiplier instead.

I wonder what companies like Panasonic will do after they speced 60k:1 last year and movie modes (not the Dynamic mode with color problems) were more like 2k:1 native on/off CR and 6k:1 dynamic on/off CR. That is, if they up their real on/off CRs 60-70% will they also claim 100k:1 on/off CR?

--Darin

·
Registered
21,464 Posts
My info is the native is up and the DI has not been made more aggressive. but only time willtell. If I say more, Jason would have to shoot me. man that guy can hit a bulls eye a mile away while riding a surf board.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
 http://www.eisa.eu/awards

Quote:
Seeing is believing' says Sony, and that has never been more true than with the new BRAVIA VPL-VW85. Using three latest generation SXRD panels with 1920x1080 pixels each, it produces smooth and crisp High Definition images. In conjunction with a revised dynamic iris control, these deliver a stunning in-picture contrast, resulting in lifelike and rich images of previously-unseen depth and clarity. Sony's unique Motionflow algorithm offers the right mode of motion compensation for every source material and viewer's taste, including the option to insert black frames for a really cinema-like presentation. The combination of all these technologies results in a picture performance that sets new standards in the home theatre experience.

·
Registered
285 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich /forum/post/17005610

My info is the native is up and the DI has not been made more aggressive. but only time willtell.

Reading through all the threads/available info a new/improved/revised iris does get mentioned so it may not all be native gain and if that's the case not much reason to upgrade from a VW80 especially if pricing info is correct at nearly twice what some of us paid for the VW80.

·
Premium Member
16,979 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraine /forum/post/17005390

I hope and wait for the VPL-VW 300.

There has been rumor somethings coming this year or next. I hope its this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Tripp /forum/post/17006668

not much reason to upgrade from a VW80 especially if pricing info is correct at nearly twice what some of us paid for the VW80.

If Sony still enforces the Sure Policy that will keep its price right up there with the new high end JVC

which will native over 100,000:1

It will be interesting to see which ends up with higher ANSI.

·
Registered
8,360 Posts
The VW80 started with an MSRP of about 6500 Euros, IIRC. So it seems that the VW85 will simply replace the VW80 at a roughly similar MSRP. That would make a lot of sense, of course. Here in Europe the VW70 never existed. So I'm not sure what this all means for you US guys...

·
Registered
5,668 Posts
If model numbers are any guide, I would not expect this to be much improved over the vw80. Previous Sony models have always been round numbers: vw40, vw50, vw60, vw70 and vw 80.

Now it may be that Sony sees that it is getting close to vw100 (which has already been taken) and is slowing down the progression because of that but from model numbers alone, the jump from a vw80 to a vw85 should not be very big.

This is the lowest form of analysis, of course.

·
Registered
21,464 Posts
Duh. They are running out of numbers. So. To make the numbering system last, they chose 85, leaving 90 and 95 available for future years.. I have been given a release to disclose this very valuable information.

As I reported in February, the US MSRP will be $8000, this is consistent with subtracting VAT from the Euros and applying the exchange rate. Things can always change.

·
Registered
5,668 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich /forum/post/17007964

Duh. They are running out of numbers.

In case you don't know, you can't run out of numbers. They go on forever.

Why not a vpl-vw800? That number signals something. From 80 to 85 sounds like an incremental improvement. Again, this is not a sophisticated analysis but that is exactly why it may be predictive with the corporate small thinkers who market these products.

1 - 20 of 363 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.