AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello, i'm new to home theater systems and due for an upgrade. i'm looking for a new receiver and i need it to last me for a LONG time...have no idea where to start. i know i want 7.1 surround sound/hdmi/.... don't know what else

·
Registered
22,119 Posts
^^^

how about starting with a budget?

second, you need to give us a bit more information other than "i don't know what i want"...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes sorry, the budget it below $1000 since i'm also looking into speakers as well..i'm doing research now...i don't really care about 3D and what else should i be looking into??? thank you

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
You may want to look at receivers to see what they offer. Some differences among receivers to consider -

* More money has a loose correlation to more power; Not every step up in price means more power even if the specs say so (Which is why I compare weights, cabinet sizes and power consumption to try to get an idea of which models in a line have the same power supply)

* Room correction varies a lot; Some think Audyssey is best. MCACC and YPAO from Pio and Yamaha seem to allow more user customization

* Some receivers offer useful processing features such as Dolby Volume that other receivers do not offer

* Almost any receiver will now offer four HDMI inputs and decoding for all Blu-ray audio, but only the latest models fully support 3D

* Some receivers offer better video processing than others; In my experience this better VP does not really translate into real world improvements

* Some people like network capability on their receiver; Arguably, there may be better solutions outside of a receivers; Game consoles, Tivo, and even TVs now may have easier to use implementations

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thank you!...im going to post some pictures of my basement to get a better idea when i get a chance. Things i plan to run from the receiver will be my TV,PS3, projector and my boxee box. i don't know if i should do 5.1 or 7.1 it's all in the air for now..will post pics and dimension soon thanks again

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.