AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

I am just starting to build a new house, and have a meeting with the LV/HT company tomorrow that my builder is contracted with... part of the building phase is to run speaker wire/hdmi/cat5 and projector screens if wanted, and for the most part at cost from what I can find.

Long story short, I decided I want to do an Atmos 7.1.2 setup, but I am having some heartache over one small detail: The rear surround speakers.

Here is my floorplan in my livingroom, and my temporary HT bed until I can finish my basement and HT setup, which will come after doing vinyl fence and a yard, so it's going to be quite a while till that is done.

hxxp://i.imgur.com/aIwfWnC.png

I am going to go with the following

Two Tower Speakers and Center Channel on the front wall
Side speakers are going to be in wall as well to hide speakers
Two ceiling speakers placed for Atmos

I just have no idea what to do, or what would be an optimal solution for my rear speakers without making them look obvious or ugly

To help give a better understanding of what I am doing:

Running an in ceiling / hidden projector screen, trying to hide all of my speakers and equipment unless I want to watch a movie.

Obviously sound quality > aesthetics, but I want a compromise between both.

Any creative idea's would be extremely helpful!

Or should I just bag all of this and go with a 3.1 ML system?

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
You could skip the side speakers and use them as surrounds or go with surrounds in the ceiling. How do you plan to deal with Auro? It's a competing format and it's not compatible with the atmos layout.

In terms of hiding it, it's new construction. Do in wall speakers. It will look slick.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
How do you plan to deal with Auro? It's a competing format and it's not compatible with the atmos layout.
Auro claims to be able to "up-mix" Atmos...which is good because there's no Auro content. Very little Atmos. And DTS :X was just unveiled. Late to the party generally means you don't win.

It's too early for any of this. Wire is cheap, though. Install wire to every potential speaker position even if it's never used, still cheaper than running it later. Start with 5.1/7.1 and wait to see which, if any, 3D audio format survives the next few years.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
That's a very good point. Make sure the builders use in wall rated wire and off you go. I've put speakers in a ceiling and I'm jealous that someone would get to do it with new construction. It's just a pain to do when the place is already done.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts