AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There was an old speaker system in the commons area (eating, hanging out, etc..) that was just not loud enough and burned out (not to mention the bad sound).

This time there is a budget of $8k to build a system for movies, music, and presentations.

I have been given the duty of putting it together.

The computer has been upgraded and can play blu-ray at full quality through HDMI or from its analog outputs.

In this case, would it be better to go for 2-channel with really good quality or more channels for surround? The system will be used for half music, half everything else.

The reason I am here is because I was thinking about building a subwoofer for really awesome bass.

The room is well-designed when it comes to acoustics.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
What size is the room, is the budget for just audio, and how loud do you want it? Also any size restrictions on the speakers/sub(s)? This will help us to help you in making a better decision.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonnash /forum/post/18177502

What size is the room?

Can you show some pics?

dbl

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

This is a similar image to our own commons area, except it is themed black (walls, doors, tables are black) and the tables are nicer. There are also about half the tables. It is also acoustically treated. Rather than brick pillars, it has a wall with a screen on it. There are doors that lead to the next room, which is a computer room, where the computer/equipment for the commons can be housed in the corner.

The picture isn't ultra similar, but it is close enough to give you the idea.

The space restrictions aren't really there. There is a lot of space.

A lot of the time it won't be ear-splitting, but there are times when it will make sense to turn it up enough to make everyone really feel the bass. The tables are often cleared out for dancing etc.. That will make good use of the system.

I hope that is enough information.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts