AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about returning the Bose system I just got, I feel that I could have bought something that performs a lot better for the price I paid. I am looking to find the best 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound speakers for under $2,000. I do not know very much about the different brands and series out there. I would also need an amplifier for it.

It would be for a bed room right now but when I get my own house the system would be in my living room. I also watch a lot of movies and I listen to music a lot.

Let me know what you guys think!

·
Registered
19,833 Posts
You can do better - Check over at www.crutchfield.com and look at the

Definitive ProCinema 1000 system - good for music also. Then go over

to www.ac4l.com and check the Marantz and Onkyo refurbish receivers.

This will get you started.

Another choice - Go to www.bostonacoustics.com and click on Shop Boston -

then click on refurbish products. Move down to the E40 speakers - you can

get 5 or 7 of these. Then go to www.hsuresearch.com and look at the VTF-1

or VTF-2 subwoofer. I prefer this above the Definitive.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't know if I am right about this or not but I am thinking that floor standing speakers for the front would be the best for me. I think they would be the best for listening to music.

I was looking at the CF-50 5.1 from Energy. They are 1,850 msrp and I am sure I could find them cheaper. I have no clue how well they perform though.

I found a Onkyo Tx-Sr608. I think it would be a good since it has hdmi 1.4. I just don't know if it will work well with the Energy speakers.

I don't care about size. I just want a good sound. :p

Thanks for all the help so far!

·
Registered
19,833 Posts
Need to know the size of your room - towers will work if they are

good towers. The Energy RC line gets good reviews - and they are

harder to find now. Also, you need a center channel that will voice

match the front channels. The Onkyo 608 can work for you.

What is your total budget for the 5.1 speakers?

·
Registered
19,833 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by twisternhra /forum/post/19550057

My room is 12.5 x 12.5 (feet). I found the Onkyo 608 for $300. So I guess I will have about 1,700 to spend on all of the speakers.

In a room your size, bookshelves can be good for you. Go to
www.onecall.com and look at the NHT Classic Two speakers

for the front, and the Absolute Zero for surrounds. Then the

Classic Two center, for center channel. Then over to Hsu for

a good sub. NHT has new subs also.

Some people put towers in that size room - however, they may

be a little over bearing for that size. Your choice.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
I'd recommend listenting to PSB's Image line, era D5 or D4, Paradigm's SE, Monitor Audio's RX and there will be other interesting choices at the stores that sell these.

I don't have sub or receiver suggestions.

Ron

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
For bedroom/new place system and your budget I'm thinking bookshelves and a subwoofer:

Three Ascend CMT-340 SE bookshelves up front, a pair HTM-200 for surrounds (save money with b-stock ), factory refurbished Onkyo TX-SR707 receiver, and Hsu VTF-3 MK3 subwoofer and you're at $2000 plus some shipping charges for a system that you can be proud of for many years. The only weakness is the receiver isn't 3D ready.

A second option is going with the nicer Ascend Sierra-1 bookshelves and Sierra-1 center instead of the 340s (cherry b-stock to save money), the same surrounds and receiver, and a less expensive ($200) subwoofer for now. That puts you just slightly over budget. The downside is that you'd want to upgrade to a better sub when you move out.

A third option if you have room for towers is the OneCall Deal on Boston Acoustic VR3 towers and a VRC center, CS26 bookshelves as surrounds, and the receiver and sub from the first suggestion. Again you won't be outgrowing the speakers or sub for many years.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by sholling
For bedroom/new place system and your budget I'm thinking bookshelves and a subwoofer:

Three Ascend CMT-340 SE bookshelves up front, a pair HTM-200 for surrounds (save money with b-stock ), factory refurbished Onkyo TX-SR707 receiver, and Hsu VTF-3 MK3 subwoofer and you're at $2000 plus some shipping charges for a system that you can be proud of for many years. The only weakness is the receiver isn't 3D ready.

A second option is going with the nicer Ascend Sierra-1 bookshelves and Sierra-1 center instead of the 340s (cherry b-stock to save money), the same surrounds and receiver, and a less expensive ($200) subwoofer for now. That puts you just slightly over budget. The downside is that you'd want to upgrade to a better sub when you move out.

A third option if you have room for towers is the OneCall Deal on Boston Acoustic VR3 towers and a VRC center, CS26 bookshelves as surrounds, and the receiver and sub from the first suggestion. Again you won't be outgrowing the speakers or sub for many years.
I am thinking about going with the third option just because I am thinking about having a nice theatre room when I move out, so I want something that would be a lot more powerful.

There is a way to control the sound of each channel on the Onkyo TX-SR707 right?

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twisternhra
I am thinking about going with the third option just because I am thinking about having a nice theatre room when I move out, so I want something that would be a lot more powerful.

There is a way to control the sound of each channel on the Onkyo TX-SR707 right?
The older 707 is a bit more sophisticated (but lacks 3D) than the newer 608 and 707's Audyssey MultiEQ will automatically (when you run setup) set relative speaker levels and EQ for the room. You can then go into the menus and change anything that you like. The only thing you'll need to watch for with any of these speakers (and any other rear ported speaker) is that the ports need room to breath. In a small room like that the easiest way to adjust for tight spaces is to set the crossover so high that the port isn't doing any work. 80hz should do the trick but do still try to give them 18 inches or so behind them and at least 2 feet to the nearest side wall - that's when they will sound best. The 707 should drive the heck out of those VR3s. Just keep in mind that they are huge.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by sholling
The older 707 is a bit more sophisticated (but lacks 3D) than the newer 608 and 707's Audyssey MultiEQ will automatically (when you run setup) set relative speaker levels and EQ for the room. You can then go into the menus and change anything that you like. The only thing you'll need to watch for with any of these speakers (and any other rear ported speaker) is that the ports need room to breath. In a small room like that the easiest way to adjust for tight spaces is to set the crossover so high that the port isn't doing any work. 80hz should do the trick but do still try to give them 18 inches or so behind them and at least 2 feet to the nearest side wall - that's when they will sound best. The 707 should drive the heck out of those VR3s. Just keep in mind that they are huge.
I guess the only other thing is that I have no clue how everything will be hooked up yet. Will I have to set the crossovers for each speaker? Also is there anything else I would need besides speaker wire and two stands?

·
Registered
241 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by twisternhra /forum/post/19551723

I guess the only other thing is that I have no clue how everything will be hooked up yet. Will I have to set the crossovers for each speaker? Also is there anything else I would need besides speaker wire and two stands?

Hooking up your system will be pretty easy. Just follow what the receiver's manual tell you. I read this link about setting up home theater. Very useful, especially for beginners:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=824554

·
Registered
1,512 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by twisternhra /forum/post/19551723

Save money and buy your subwoofer cable and speaker wire from monoprice.com and then connect according to the simple instructions in the receiver's manual. Then run the receiver's auto setup using the included microphone. It will detect the speakers and sub and make a best guess at crossover points. Once that finishes you can leave it alone or tweak the settings.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just got everything in today except for the front speakers. I am very surprised at the size of the subwoofer. I have no clue where I am going to put it.I guess I should have checked the dimensions before I ordered it. Its about the size of a night stand.

I'll let you all know when I get everything hooked up.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Everything is all setup and so far I am loving the whole system! The subwoofer is amazing.

I set all of the crossovers to 80hz and after testing different settings that seems like the best one.

I just want to say thanks to everyone that helped me with my decision!

·
Registered
1,512 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by twisternhra /forum/post/19600010

Everything is all setup and so far I am loving the whole system! The subwoofer is amazing.

I set all of the crossovers to 80hz and after testing different settings that seems like the best one.

I just want to say thanks to everyone that helped me with my decision!

It's worth tripping over a really good subwoofer.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sholling /forum/post/19600209

It's worth tripping over a really good subwoofer.

Well definitely know why you recommended it now. I barley even have it turned up and the bass still fills the whole room.

I spent 200 dollars more then the Bose system and this system can go a lot louder and will still have amazing quality.

What do people usually set the crossover on their center speaker and surrounds?

·
Registered
1,512 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by twisternhra /forum/post/19600279

Well definitely know why you recommended it now. I barley even have it turned up and the bass still fills the whole room.

I spent 200 dollars more then the Bose system and this system can go a lot louder and will still have amazing quality.

What do people usually set the crossover on their center speaker and surrounds?

80hz should be fine for the crossover. The reason that I suggested that beast of a sub is you said you'd be moving to larger quarters soon and won't soon outgrow that one. It should be fill anything up to a 4000cuft (or a bit over) space fine. Now go rent War of the Worlds.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts