AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently gave away these old BOSE bookshelf speakers and in the market for something better. I know BOSE isn't all the great! lol I'm currently running a Yamaha HTR-5550 receiver (not a HDMI receiver) and a Yamaha YST- SW160 sub. So I would like a great sounding center, left, and right setup. I primarily watch a lot of movies and TV (mostly sci-fi stuff) with the occasional ps3 video games. Budget is $500-1000. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
Ascend acoustics cmt340s across the front stage would be one choice. In your price range, you could look at focal, wharfdale, EMPtek, etc, to name a few! All way better than Bose...

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
I suggest a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 speakers, with the 10CS center speaker.

Check Music Direct for prices, but it should be well under $1000; maybe $700 or so.

Those are excellent speakers for the money.

For more details, look at the Stereophile website for a detailed review and lab tests on them.

Another excellent choice would be the Monitor Audio BX-2 speakers with the BX center; that will run just under $800.

Either one will be a 300% upgrade from the Bose speakers; you will be pleased.

If you need stands, I suggest the Sanus Steel Foundations stands.

Many stands are flimsy wood affairs that do not provide the rigid support speakers need to work properly. Good stands make a big difference in performance.

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
Ascend Acoustic and EMPtek are ID only...which is one of the reason why there are "not so expensive"! However, that means you cannot demo them at a store. "In home" is the only demo that matters anyway, so you just have to budget for return shipping. Best case scenario, find two speakers that fit you bill, on paper and do an overlapping demo...do an extensive A/B comparison, then send the loser back. Both AA and EMP have 30 day in home trials, but you will have to play return shipping cost! I will let commsysman speak to his recommends!

·
Registered
16,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk  /t/1525416/new-speaker-upgrade-to-what-help#post_24561275

Ascend Acoustic and EMPtek are ID only...which is one of the reason why there are "not so expensive"! However, that means you cannot demo them at a store. "In home" is the only demo that matters anyway, so you just have to budget for return shipping. Best case scenario, find two speakers that fit you bill, on paper and do an overlapping demo...do an extensive A/B comparison, then send the loser back. Both AA and EMP have 30 day in home trials, but you will have to play return shipping cost! I will let commsysman speak to his recommends!

+1

These are great speaker choices and are better values than you can typically get in store.

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
I'll also recommend NHT Classic Two, and HTD Level Three, both companies offer 30 days trials, but they do pay return shipping. These, along with Ascend and EMP, all are great options and offer incredible value.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts