AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like some advice/recommendations to replace my speaker set up. I currently have a 7.1 system and two very good sub woofers. The subwoofers will stay. I am very happy there. My buget is $3,000 - $4,000.

I want to continue the 7.1 setup. I live in a small city about 4-5 hours away from any place I could go to listen to decent speakers. So your advice and reviews really do matter in this case.

My room is 13ft x 22ft.

My usage is predominately Home Theater and Gaming 98% of the time. Music 2%.

I really would consider any and all options from big companies to ID.

Thanks in advance for your time and consideration.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlikealight /forum/post/18305540

I would like some advice/recommendations to replace my speaker set up. I currently have a 7.1 system and two very good sub woofers. The subwoofers will stay. I am very happy there.

I want to continue the 7.1 setup. I live in a small city about 4-5 hours away from any place I could go to listen to decent speakers. So your advice and reviews really do matter in this case.

My room is 13ft x 22ft.

My usage is predominately Home Theater and Gaming 98% of the time. Music 2%.

I really would consider any and all options from big companies to ID.

Thanks in advance for your time and consideration.

We need a little more info first. Do you have a budget you'd like to stay under? Is your room a living area that you share with a significant other and family or is it a dedicated room? If yes, do you need the speakers to have a certain amount of aesthetic appeal or be of a certain size? If it's a dedicated room do you have an acoustically transparent screen?

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
What speakers do you have now? What do you like/dislike about their sound? What speakers have you heard that you liked besides what you own?

These questions may help us lead you to brands that may suite your tastes. I would also really try to get out and demo something besides what you currently have. Where do you live? Some members may be close and allow you to come to their house and test their gear out. We may also find a dealer closer to you than you think. Living far from a major city doesn't mean a dealer hasn't set up shop around your house, even if it is an hour drive or so. IMO a few hours in the car is worth the trouble to find a speaker setup you will love instead of just like.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ahh! My mistake. Originally when I was making this post I had the budget. When editing that was deleted.

My budget is $3,000 - $4,000.

My apologies.

The room is my man cave. Looks are way down on the list of importance. Full size speakers for the fronts. A good Center Channel is a must and mountable/bookshelf surrounds.

I live in South Dakota.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyrnes /forum/post/18305792

What speakers do you have now? What do you like/dislike about their sound? What speakers have you heard that you liked besides what you own?

These questions may help us lead you to brands that may suite your tastes. I would also really try to get out and demo something besides what you currently have. Where do you live? Some members may be close and allow you to come to their house and test their gear out. We may also find a dealer closer to you than you think. Living far from a major city doesn't mean a dealer hasn't set up shop around your house, even if it is an hour drive or so. IMO a few hours in the car is worth the trouble to find a speaker setup you will love instead of just like.

I have ID speakers now and a pair of nice subs. I have been happy with the speakers I have. I bought them w/o hearing them prior. I suppose I could drive to Minneapolis but it would not help me narrow things down. It could make it worse. I tend to find things outside my budget and convince myself I need those
. Some recommendations on where to start for a new set would really help.

When we had a Store with nicer gear in town I liked about everything. Honestly I am not an incredibly picky listener. Just looking for a really good "WoW" Home Theater experience.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlikealight /forum/post/18305837

Ahh! My mistake. Originally when I was making this post I had the budget. When editing that was deleted.

My budget is $3,000 - $4,000.

My apologies.

The room is my man cave. Looks are way down on the list of importance. Full size speakers for the fronts. A good Center Channel is a must and mountable/bookshelf surrounds.

I live in South Dakota.

Do you have an acoustically transparent screen or plasma/lcd? The reason I ask is if you do have an at screen then I'd suggest some of the jbl cinema arrays like this but if you don't have an at screen then it's not possible because they're just too big. One other thing I forgot to ask. In your room, how far back do you sit from your display? The cinema arrays require a minimum distance of I think 11' and if you face the long side of your room that would be pushing it. If you can accommodate these they would certainly provide a WOW experience and the model I linked is actually pretty cheap.

If you'd prefer more traditional speakers I'd say to use jtr triple 8s for your lcr and some jbl 8340s for your surrounds(you may find that only two are necessary). This will come out to right around $3600 if you go with 5.1 or $4200 if you decide you'd like to stay with 7.1. This would also provide a wow experience and be much more manageable.

Also, klipsch has a thx series that is very highly regarded for ht so you could take a look at that. The retail price for it is very high but I've seen plenty of deals online at much cheaper. I noticed in another thread that someone found a deal on a 7.1 set for $4000.

As others have said, it is important to listen to speakers before purchasing if at all possible. Though it seems that people's tastes in speakers are less of an issue for ht than for music.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmryan821 /forum/post/18305995

Do you have an acoustically transparent screen or plasma/lcd? The reason I ask is if you do have an at screen then I'd suggest some of the jbl cinema arrays like this but if you don't have an at screen then it's not possible because they're just too big. One other thing I forgot to ask. In your room, how far back do you sit from your display? The cinema arrays require a minimum distance of I think 11' and if you face the long side of your room that would be pushing it. If you can accommodate these they would certainly provide a WOW experience and the model I linked is actually pretty cheap.

If you'd prefer more traditional speakers I'd say to use jtr triple 8s for your lcr and some jbl 8340s for your surrounds(you may find that only two are necessary). This will come out to right around $3600 if you go with 5.1 or $4200 if you decide you'd like to stay with 7.1. This would also provide a wow experience and be much more manageable.

Also, klipsch has a thx series that is very highly regarded for ht so you could take a look at that. The retail price for it is very high but I've seen plenty of deals online at much cheaper. I noticed in another thread that someone found a deal on a 7.1 set for $4000.

As others have said, it is important to listen to speakers before purchasing if at all possible. Though it seems that people's tastes in speakers are less of an issue for ht than for music.

Thanks for the detailed reply. No AT screen. I have a 100" screen mounted at one end. Then on a side wall I have a 55" LCD LED that swings out for gaming but goes back flat against the wall when it's time for movies on the big screen. The Klipsch I was planing on checking. I would not have thought of jtr or JBL. I'll do a little digging and check them out.

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
You definitely need to check out Emotiva at that price range. They are getting rave reviews.

http://emotiva.com/

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I've done a lot of research for my next upgrade for a 100% HT room.....from what I researched, it seems it'll come down to JTR speakers or Klipsch THX Ultra2....leaning more towards the JTR speakers. Now, I'll just need to audition these two to see which one I like better.

·
Registered
559 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by calnbs /forum/post/18309173

I've done a lot of research for my next upgrade for a 100% HT room.....from what I researched, it seems it'll come down to JTR speakers or Klipsch THX Ultra2....leaning more towards the JTR speakers. Now, I'll just need to audition these two to see which one I like better.

Having owned both and compared them side-by-side, definitely go JTR T12.

·
The Village Idiot
9,738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyng_fool /forum/post/18306490

You definitely need to check out Emotiva at that price range. They are getting rave reviews.

http://emotiva.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by outlikealight /forum/post/18309118

Do you have any experience with these?

I've owned every speaker Emotiva make - from the large ERTs to the ERM-1s which they no longer make - a mistake I think. The ERM-1s are the pick of the litter IMO. I just sold mine but I'd have kept them if I could sell my Infinity Interlude IL40s for anything approaching reasonable. They are 9 years old and still play very well. I use them in the bedroom 2 channel setup.

The ERTs are not much more than an ERM-1 with a pair of 8" woofers grafted on IMO. A pair of ERM-1s and a decent sub or two and you have the ERTs. If you like big speakers the ERTs are the ones to get.

The best in their lineup - and would be my pick if I were buying their speakers is the 6.2s for LR and 6.3 for center - and either 2 or 4 of the ERD-1s for surrounds. Mate these with a good sub (or 2) and you have a very good sounding system. You'll need a stout AVR - or better yet an external amp - these are 4 ohm speakers.

The ERD-1s are very good - they just don't match up with my current speakers- Infinity Cascades in a 5.0 setup - with 3 subs.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts