AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to figure out where I would get the most performance for my buck. Would I benefit more from upgrading the receiver or upgrading the speakers....

I currently have the Sony STR DG820, which is decent, but everyone says Sony receivers suck. I was considering the Pioneer VSX-919AH-K as an upgrade.

As far as speakers, I currently have, as my fronts and center, the Yamaha NS7390 and NS3290....I was thinking of upgrading to the Polk Monitor 50s and Polk CS10 Center.

I'm just trying to see where my $400 would be better spent...Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

NS3290 Center Channel specs:

TYPE Two way, 3-speaker, acoustic suspension, magnetically shielded center channel loudspeaker.

DRIVER COMPLEMENT Dual 4" cone woofers

7/8" balanced dome tweeter

INPUT POWER 60 watts nominal, 180 watts music power

FREQUENCY RESPONSE 70 Hz-22kHz

SENSITIVITY 90dB/2.83v/1m

IMPEDANCE 6Ω

Polk Center CS10 Specs:

# Mid/Woofer: 2 - 5.25-inch diameter bi-laminate organic fiber cone

# Tweeter: 1 - 1-inch diameter silk dome dynamic balance

# Overall frequency response: 53-25KHz

# Nominal impedance: 8 ohms

# Recommended amplifier power: 20-125 w/channel

# Efficiency: 91 dB

# Crossover: 2500 Hz, 2nd order

CROSSOVER FREQUENCY 7kHz

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yamaha 7390 Tower specs:

TYPE Three way, bass-reflex, magnetically shielded, floor type.

DRIVER COMPLEMENT 6 1/2" cone woofer

4" cone midrange

7/8" balanced dome tweeter

INPUT POWER 60 watts nominal, 220 watts music power

FREQUENCY RESPONSE 38 Hz-27kHz

SENSITIVITY 86dB/2.83v/1m

IMPEDANCE 8Ω

CROSSOVER FREQUENCIES 4kHz, 6kHz

Polk Monitor 50 specs:

Mid/Woofer 2 - 5-1/4" Diameter (13.34cm)

Dynamic Balance Bi-laminate composite cone driver, magnetically shielded

Tweeter 1 - 1" Diameter (2.54cm)

Dynamic Balance Silk/polymer composite dome, magnetically shielded

Electrical

Overall Frequency Response 42Hz - 25kHz

Lower -3dB Limit 57Hz

Upper -3dB Limit 24kHz

Nominal Impedance 8 ohms

Recommended Amplifier Power 20 - 150 w/channel

Efficiency 89 dB

Crossover 2.3kHz, second order high and low pass

Inputs Dual (bi-amp) 5-way binding posts

· Registered
689 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by runback22 /forum/post/18121782

I am trying to figure out where I would get the most performance for my buck. Would I benefit more from upgrading the receiver or upgrading the speakers....

I currently have the Sony STR DG820, which is decent, but everyone says Sony receivers suck. I was considering the Pioneer VSX-919AH-K as an upgrade.

If you like the sound you get from the Sony and aren't driving it into clipping (hearing distortion), then it's probably fine. Doubt you would hear an audible difference between the two.

Can't comment on the speakers but unless you have a chance to hear them side-by-side with a true A/B comparison, you will never really know if one sounds "better" than the other. The specs are mostly meaningless for comparing speakers. The sensitivity ratings suggest that Polk towers would be a little louder with the same amplifier input.

· Registered
22,124 Posts
starting questions:

"what are you hoping to accomplish?"

"what do you perceive the weaknesses of your existing system to be?"

aggie is correct... generally speaking, speakers are the first option...

however, you do need to make sure that you are really "improving" over what you have now...

what do you have for a sub?

· Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would like to have more depth and clarity to my sound. The Polk center sounded incredible at Best Buy and seemed to have much more depth to its sound than my center. If I were to pick that up, I would have to get new fronts because that center would simply overpower the fronts.

As far as my receiver, I'm not completely happy with the rear and side surrounds. I find that for some reason, my side surround speakers and rear surrounds have a wide gap in volume level, even in multi stereo mode. I have to set the volume level on my sides at +10(highest setting) and leave my rear surrounds at 0 for them to have an equal volume level. Honestly, another big reason is perception. Sony receivers dont have the best reputation, although the 820 did get some good reviews, but I just feel like I'm missing out.

· Registered
872 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flickhtguru /forum/post/18122007

$400 isn't a lot of money. I would either build your system in steps or wait til you have more money.

I agree. You can easily spend $400 just on a center channel like a Paradigm.

You can get better clarity and detail just with better speaker wires. My favorite is 10 ga romex but it's nearly impossible to bend and work with. Anti-cables are 12 ga and much easier to work with but they are $10 ft per pair. Very cheap compared to other high-end wires. Go to lowes or home depot and see what gauge romex is fairly easy to bend (12, 14, or 16). This is well worth the $25-$30 for 25 ft to see what difference it will make. If it works you can spend the $400 on nice BIC, HSU, or eD sub.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.