AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I am in need of a little help, since the Rotel issue last year, detailed here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...highlight=1098

I ditched the unit and bought a cheap HK AVR254 to tide me over for a while.

Well I had a tragic moment a few weeks back now. I popped in a couple of my reference disks (SW: EP1 and Matrix) and my heart broke...

The sound was so lacking I pulled out the disc and almost wept.

That brought me to the harsh reality that I need another preamp that is comperable to the RSP-1098 from Rotel.

I have a $3000 budget in mind, could stretch a smidge more if I need to. I need somthing that has HDMI switching as I have 2 sources that are HDMI.

I have been out of the HT market for a long time (since I bought the 1098, 6 years ago almost) so I know a lot has changed, and I would like you help in narrowing down options.

My usage is about 90% movies, TV and video games. Don't listen to too much music, but do like to crank some acoustic tunes from time to time.

Any and all help would be appreciated.

Gear I am hooking up to:

RSP - 1095

RSP - 1090

HTPC Clone

PS3

Xbox 360

Wii

Sanyo z4 (upgrading to the z4000 soon)

· Registered
398 Posts
What speakers are you using? Your amps and source equipment look good! Is the "honeymoon" period over with your HK 254 (8 months ago you were "loving" it!!!)? If you must get a new pre-pro, you might want to consider the Integra DHC 9.9 ($2000 MSRP).

· Registered
2,281 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cofn42 /forum/post/16855296

Hi All,

I am in need of a little help, since the Rotel issue last year, detailed here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...highlight=1098

I ditched the unit and bought a cheap HK AVR254 to tide me over for a while.

Well I had a tragic moment a few weeks back now. I popped in a couple of my reference disks (SW: EP1 and Matrix) and my heart broke...

The sound was so lacking I pulled out the disc and almost wept.

That brought me to the harsh reality that I need another preamp that is comperable to the RSP-1098 from Rotel.

I have a $3000 budget in mind, could stretch a smidge more if I need to. I need somthing that has HDMI switching as I have 2 sources that are HDMI.

I have been out of the HT market for a long time (since I bought the 1098, 6 years ago almost) so I know a lot has changed, and I would like you help in narrowing down options.

My usage is about 90% movies, TV and video games. Don't listen to too much music, but do like to crank some acoustic tunes from time to time.

Any and all help would be appreciated.

Gear I am hooking up to:

RSP - 1095

RSP - 1090

HTPC Clone

PS3

Xbox 360

Wii

Sanyo z4 (upgrading to the z4000 soon)

upcoming parasound c3 and nad models look promising...

· Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIRSQUARED /forum/post/16856927

What speakers are you using? Your amps and source equipment look good! Is the "honeymoon" period over with your HK 254 (8 months ago you were "loving" it!!!)? If you must get a new pre-pro, you might want to consider the Integra DHC 9.9 ($2000 MSRP).

Speakers are all DefTech from about 7 years ago. To be honest it has been so long I could not even begin to recall what they are called.

They are all bipolar. Think the fronts may have been 2000's 12" powered sub built in, 3000 center channel with power 10" sub"

Rears and surrounds are bipol as well, with built dual 6.5" powered subs.

The honeymoon ended fast I know.

I think some of it spawned from the fact that I had a problematic receiver for 4 months, I was just so friggin happy to have sound that worked for more than 10 mins at a time if I was lucky.

In all fairness I was gamin really heavy at the time, and I must admit, the 254 sounds fantastic for games. Just movies really lack that oomph and clarity I used to have with the 1098.

Every ping of a bullet hitting the floor in The Matrix lobby scene was gone, and replaced by muddy gunshots. Really depressing when you know how good it has been.

I will definately check out the Integra right now.

I have been cruising the forum here, and have come across the Cary and the Onkyo pre/pro as well. I will be looking into those too possibly.

I also had a recommendation to check out Anthem (which Ilike cuz they are Canadian) but haven't seen much yet.

· Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman /forum/post/16856961

Sure it's not all in your head?

I only wish.... The shine is off the diamond, but I was not expecting a long term investment in the HK-254, how can a $600 receiver compare to a $4000 pre/pro.

Simply.. it cannot.

· Registered
2,281 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cofn42 /forum/post/16858861

Speakers are all DefTech from about 7 years ago. To be honest it has been so long I could not even begin to recall what they are called.

They are all bipolar. Think the fronts may have been 2000's 12" powered sub built in, 3000 center channel with power 10" sub"

Rears and surrounds are bipol as well, with built dual 6.5" powered subs.

The honeymoon ended fast I know.

I think some of it spawned from the fact that I had a problematic receiver for 4 months, I was just so friggin happy to have sound that worked for more than 10 mins at a time if I was lucky.

In all fairness I was gamin really heavy at the time, and I must admit, the 254 sounds fantastic for games. Just movies really lack that oomph and clarity I used to have with the 1098.

Every ping of a bullet hitting the floor in The Matrix lobby scene was gone, and replaced by muddy gunshots. Really depressing when you know how good it has been.

I will definately check out the Integra right now.

I have been cruising the forum here, and have come across the Cary and the Onkyo pre/pro as well. I will be looking into those too possibly.

I also had a recommendation to check out Anthem (which Ilike cuz they are Canadian) but haven't seen much yet.

check the cary 11 thread before u buy it!

· Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denophile /forum/post/16858913

check the cary 11 thread before u buy it!

Wow, just wow... Glad I read that....

If I wanted another problematic receiver I would fire up the 1098 again....

Think I will be avoiding the Cary, which is for the best, my ex-wife was named Carey, she was nothing but trouble as well. hahaha

· Registered
2,281 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cofn42 /forum/post/16859029

Wow, just wow... Glad I read that....

If I wanted another problematic receiver I would fire up the 1098 again....

Think I will be avoiding the Cary, which is for the best, my ex-wife was named Carey, she was nothing but trouble as well. hahaha

2 good reasons then.. i hope they get their isues worked out soon--cary is otherwise a great company--this ssp seems to be aberrantly complicated at the moment.

· Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denophile /forum/post/16859097

2 good reasons then.. i hope they get their isues worked out soon--cary is otherwise a great company--this ssp seems to be aberrantly complicated at the moment.

It is sad that it has so many issues, from what I saw I really liked the minimalized input side of things.

I am not looking for 1001 connections, I have 4 pieces of equipment to hook up for sources, I have no need for 99% of the connections on a lot of the pre/pro's I am seeing.

The oldest input I have is component, and that is for the damned Wii, which may move out of the theater and into the living room, I really do not see the need for composite and s-video connects any more, especially in the high end gear, most of us have moved onto the digital world, for video at least.

Also not a Radio fan at all, it is unfortunate that so many systems also have a tuner. I found a real increase in sonic performance with the 1098 and it's lack of a tuner. But it seems everything out there has on built in as well.

Such is life I guess, I just hope whatever unit I choose lasts me another 5+ years.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.