AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys its been about a week now i have had my plasma. i love it.. im not sure if its my room or the tv but if i leave it on standard or cinema the picture is extremely dark to me. If i put it on vivid and lower the contrast to about 50-55 it seems very nice and bright. The tv only has probly about 25 hours on it. but it seems very dark on any default setting except vivid... My concern is will this ruin my plasma over time? what settings should i leave it on for now until its broken in and still get a nice bright picture? Its extrememly dark to me like i said if not in vivid or custom with high contrast.... Also is it ok to watch widescreen in vivid mode with such a new tv? Thanks!

·
Registered
808 Posts
My question is why didn't you buy an LCD over a PLASMA if your gonna run it in Vivid? Plasma's are known for having the most accurate picture....your using yours in the most unaccurate setting....you could of saved money and got a cheaper LCD and ran that in VIVID and got the same effect.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i went through alot of lcd's and led's before settling on this plasma... the answer is every lcd and led i returned has light bleeding and flashlighting and the black levels were not to my liking. i think the plasma in vivid looks nice in my room. its all personal preferrance i suppose man... i just need to know why standard mode looks very dark and is it bad to run vivid mode out the box without breaking it in for the panny st30. what settings should i use out the box and still get a bright picture.

·
Premium Member
18,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogard85 /forum/post/20797915

hi guys its been about a week now i have had my plasma. i love it.. im not sure if its my room or the tv but if i leave it on standard or cinema the picture is extremely dark to me. If i put it on vivid and lower the contrast to about 50-55 it seems very nice and bright. The tv only has probly about 25 hours on it. but it seems very dark on any default setting except vivid... My concern is will this ruin my plasma over time? what settings should i leave it on for now until its broken in and still get a nice bright picture? Its extrememly dark to me like i said if not in vivid or custom with high contrast.... Also is it ok to watch widescreen in vivid mode with such a new tv? Thanks!

Standard mode is an energy-saving mode and is useless. Cinema mode is for watching movies in a dark room. Both are kinda dim. Vivid is very inaccurate and nobody uses Vivid in their home. Curious why you didn't try Custom mode?

Try CUSTOM mode instead - it's a much brighter mode than Standard or Cinema. In Custom mode, try setting your Contast at around 80-90, Brightness at about 50, and Color about 45 or so and tweak things from there and see how you like it. Custom mode also makes the additional Pro Settings menu available which enables you to also set the Screen Brightness higher too (the other modes don't do this). I think Custom mode will solve your problems.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters /forum/post/20797972

Standard and Cinema are kinda dim. Vivid is very inaccurate and nobody uses Vivid in their home.

Try CUSTOM mode instead, and maybe set your Contast at around 80-90, Brightness at about 50, and Color about 45 or so and tweak things from there and see how you like it. Custom mode also makes the additional Pro Settings menu available where you can set the Screen Brightness higher too. I think this will solve your problems.

is it bad to run your contrast at 80ish and brightness at 50ish right out the box without breaking in? thats my main concern... i plan to watch widescreen blurays soon and just dont want any issues... do u have the same tv as me? what settings did you use right out the box and are those the same settings you are using currently? Thanks man for the information!

·
Premium Member
18,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogard85 /forum/post/20797986

is it bad to run your contrast at 80ish and brightness at 50ish right out the box without breaking in? thats my main concern...

No it's not bad for the TV. Break-in is not necessary and doesn't really do anything to protect the panel, but the old wives tales still persist. The only thing you might want to do is limit the amount of logos and tickers etc for the first few hundred hours if you're paranoid about it.

Quote:
i plan to watch widescreen blurays soon and just dont want any issues... do u have the same tv as me? what settings did you use right out the box and are those the same settings you are using currently? Thanks man for the information!

No i have older models (2009, 2007, 2005), but i ran all of those at higher contrast settings right out of the box and 2/4/6 years later i have no issues whatsoever. I have also set up over a dozen Panasonic plasmas for other people over the years and used higher contrast settings on those and the ones i've gone back to visit later had no issues or problems either.

Just set the TV so it looks good to you and use it normally. It won't hurt it.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
As Randy said, you cannot hurt the set.

Those settings are there for you to tinker with. If that is not enough for you to feel comfortable, know that Panasonic Plasmas are hand down the best Plasma when it comes to image retention, its virtually nonexistent. On top of that, the set has a built in Auto Brightness Limiter that prevents the set from being over-driven. This is not a user option that can be disabled, so you are safe.

Turn that bad boy up and enjoy!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters /forum/post/20798186

No it's not bad for the TV. Break-in is not necessary and doesn't really do anything to protect the panel, but the old wives tales still persist. The only thing you might want to do is limit the amount of logos and tickers etc for the first few hundred hours if you're paranoid about it.

No i have older models (2009, 2007, 2005), but i ran all of those at higher contrast settings right out of the box and 2/4/6 years later i have no issues whatsoever. I have also set up over a dozen Panasonic plasmas for other people over the years and used higher contrast settings on those and the ones i've gone back to visit later had no issues or problems either.

Just set the TV so it looks good to you and use it normally. It won't hurt it.

thanks for all the responses from you man... i feel alot better about this... i will use custom settings and tune it to your recommendations. im not gonna run those break in slideshows or anything like that i just dont have the patience for that crap. i think the st30 looks amazing when it comes to picture quality and brightness.. i went through countless tvs before settling on this one. i got the 50" for 1160.00 with a free 3d blu ray player from bestbuy... i think that was a steal. my last question is, is it safe to watch widescreen blu rays on this set considering how new it is? im sure it is but i wanna confirm before i buy all the box sets i crave.... and since widescreen is native for most blu rays i would like confirmation... Thanks again for all the help man... youre a saint =)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwolf4k /forum/post/20798351

As Randy said, you cannot hurt the set.

Those settings are there for you to tinker with. If that is not enough for you to feel comfortable, know that Panasonic Plasmas are hand down the best Plasma when it comes to image retention, its virtually nonexistent. On top of that, the set has a built in Auto Brightness Limiter that prevents the set from being over-driven. This is not a user option that can be disabled, so you are safe.

Turn that bad boy up and enjoy!

hahaha this forum is very helpful and you guys are great! thanks for the all info... youre right if the settings are there then they must not be harmful.... thats enough for me not to worry... its just it took me a long time to decide what model i want, now that i made the decision like everyone else i want the best and longest life i can get from her.

·
Registered
272 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogard85 /forum/post/20798454

hahaha this forum is very helpful and you guys are great! thanks for the all info... youre right if the settings are there then they must not be harmful.... thats enough for me not to worry... its just it took me a long time to decide what model i want, now that i made the decision like everyone else i want the best and longest life i can get from her.

Try using Custom mode with the screen brightness option set on high. I was able to get a plenty bright picture on my sister's set with that which looks quite good ( although the flesh tones are tough to dial in). It will look much much better than Vivid.

·
Registered
272 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogard85 /forum/post/20798544

thanks man! i will try tonight and let u know what i settled on....

It should look really good. I think as I recall I had contrast around 75, brightness 54, color 44 , color temperature on warm 2 , and gamma on 2.2.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
last question... sorry lol... it came with a 3d blu ray player... DMPBDT110 i was wondering if i should just sell it since i have a ps3 that plays 3d blu ray already.... and make some money back.... is there a picture quality difference when using ps3 vs DMPBDT110 or is it all the same crap. thanks!

·
Registered
272 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogard85 /forum/post/20798627

last question... sorry lol... it came with a 3d blu ray player... DMPBDT110 i was wondering if i should just sell it since i have a ps3 that plays 3d blu ray already.... and make some money back.... is there a picture quality difference when using ps3 vs DMPBDT110 or is it all the same crap. thanks!

I'm not familiar with the player they gave you but I do know the PS3 is one of the best blu ray players out there.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumba /forum/post/20798676

I'm not familiar with the player they gave you but I do know the PS3 is one of the best blu ray players out there.

thanks man! im gonna sell it.. havent even opened it yet.. comes with free 3d avatar as well...

·
Registered
198 Posts
I have been using custom mode since i got my plasmas. I didn't break either of them in with slides, i was just careful. I like a brighter picture also. I set my contrast at 79, brightness at 58. I set the GAMMA in pro settings to 2.2, color temperature to NORMAL and the panel brightness to high. Its not what calibrators would like, but i'm watching the set and i dont care for the picture if its too dim. I don't touch VIVID or STANDARD mode. I use THX at the default settings when i play video games.

I have seen mild image retention, but it doesnt stay on the set for long. I would probably run blurays in ZOOM mode to eliminate the black bars until the panel has about 150 hours on it and also limit watching static logos for long periods.. again only for the first 150 hours.

Just set it how you like it and leave it. The plasma paranoia from some people will drive u crazy. I have 2 of the 2010 models, i set the Pixel Orbiter to PERIODIC and to 1 MINUTE. Not sure if the ST30 if you can set the minutes.

Stick with CUSTOM mode and i think you will be happy, enjoy the set and stop worrying.. Just be careful for first little while.

Mike

·
Registered
809 Posts
the DMPBDT110 is a great blu-ray player keep it use it for moives and use the ps3 for games. before i went with custom settings i was useing standard which was ok. now iam on custosm brightness 79 contrast 55 color 49 and use warm 2...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts