AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The WSR site has the following news link posted today.

http://news.com.com/2100-1033-902606.html?tag=fd_top

So my question is will this STB have a firewire (IEEE 1394) connection? My area is supposed to get Comcast HD later this year. I'll subscribe in a pair of seconds if the interface box comes with firewire output vis-a-vis the componet outputs up until now on Comcast's HD STB.

I don't expect anyone on this forum to know the answer, but I'd welcome any suggestions on where to get more information.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I believe the Comcast plan is to use 2 boxes, the 2000 with the hd200 add on box to start, and then move to the 5000 after a short while. This is based on the following quote:

"Initially, subscribers will require a separate set-top box to receive HDTV signals, but the equipment will eventually become integrated into Comcast digital cable service set-top boxes, Williams said"

The quote is from http://detnews.com/2002/technology/0...c01-441136.htm .

The Philly folks which have HDTV already use the 2000/hdd200 arrangement. The new stbs which are single box units will probably 5000 series boxes, some with PVR/hard drives, all with IEEE1394.

----------Dave

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So the firewire output could feed a like input to an HD VCR (like the JVC 30K) and/or an HDTV display w/o need for a separate set-top receiver. I hope the Motorola unit that will be supplied to new Comcast customers in the 4th quarter will be the firewire unit (5000 as you say).

·
Registered
210 Posts
I do too. I live in Michigan where they plan to bring it out at the same time. One thing, if you visit the Motorola site, they have some good information on the 5000, and do mention the IEEE ports as "Optional". I hope Comcast doesn't short change us on the new boxes.

-----------Dave

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dave,

If Comcast doesn't sell or rent the right model, I would just tell Comcast that I'll provide my own box, and then buy it directly from Motorola or a middle man.

Could you please post here the URL of the Motorola 5000 web page?

Thanks for the valuable info.

- Darrell

·
Registered
210 Posts
The link to the Motorola DCT5000 is:
http://gicout50.gic.gi.com/databases...1?OpenDocument

I believe that the 5000 is compatable with 2000 networks, so I would be interested in getting a 5000 to if I could go around comcast like that. How/where would you get your box?

-------Dave

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,754 Posts
I don't think you'll be able to buy an stb from Motorola, or anyone else, that will be work in the way you expect. The cableco will not allow it to be sold to you, especially if it had capability they did not want you to have.

Either they'll offer it or you're out of luck.

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ken and Dave,

Thanks for the info. Let's hope Comcast offers it. I have the impression that Comcast, at least, is interested in staying competitive with DirectTV. My hunch is that both will offer a firewire interface before too long. We'll just have to wait and see.

- Darrell

·
Registered
251 Posts
I do not quite understand all this talk (and expense) about HD cable STB.

I currently receive 1080i HD signals from AT&T cable over a standard cable channel via 8-VBS, the same way is it broadcast over the air.

There is NO cable box at all. Just connect the cable feed to your STB antenna input. Then tune to the cable channels carring the HD signal. In fact, if you send it to the cable box first, the signal does NOT get thru.

Are they trying to make money on us once again?

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by gmichael
Are they trying to make money on us once again?
Yep.

All justified by better channel efficiency with 256QAM. But we know what THE MAN is up do don't we? ;)

- Mike

·
Registered
210 Posts
AT&T cable is being a bit nicer than Comcast. Comcast encodes all their HD signals, which requires a sidecar box, in this case the HDD200 to the DCT2000 Standard box. When Comcast goes down to one box, the signal will be encoded, but the box will have the capability to decode and display by itself.

---------------------------------------------Dave

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Whoa,

Hopefully TW will update to the 5000 as well with the 1394 option installed. That would be most excellent!

Does this do 8VSB? Nothing listed in the options that I could see.

Troy

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
If you follow the "Product Catalog" link at the bottom of that page and go to "Addressable Terminals" and look at the DCT5000 specs there you will see that there is no 8VSB decode. 64/256QAM only.

However, it is cool to see that they have 2 tuners plus DOCSIS cable modem (which uses a third tuner) and internal IDE for HDD to provide PVR function. They don't say anything about PVR software, but it does look like a powerful platform. Now that I think about it though, the cable modem can only be for internal function, not computer connectivity because there is no computer interface except the optional firewire.

- Mike

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
ATSC in this case applies to QAM64 and QAM256 which is used in Cable TV. 8VSB is used right now just to pass off air signal by some cable companies. It will be phased out pretty soon with QAM256 which allows them to put 2 HD channels in space of one.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Yeah, thats probably right. I wasn't quite sure, I just new it did HDTV.

Mike, as for connection to a computer, it lists an Ethernet port at the bottom of the first link. Perhaps this could act as a conduit for High speed connection to a computer?

-----------------Dave

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
You're right. I just didn't notice it way down at the bottom. Come to think of it, you could use the USB for cable modem to computer too. Pretty big brain fart on my part. :D

Quote:
INTERFACES
  • RF, baseband (video, L/R audio) ports
  • Audio loop through connectors
  • IR blaster port
  • Switched accessory outlet
  • PCMCIA Type II card interface connector (for renewable security)
  • Front smart card interface connector (e-commerce)
  • Internal IDE hard drive controller interface
  • A/V input ports
  • S-video output
  • S/PDIF-Dolby Digital® audio interface
  • USB port (dual-connector interface)
  • Remote control/IR keyboard interface
  • 10Base-T Ethernet port (RJ-45 connector)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.