AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I called Samsung today to ask them if they knew when the SIR-T160 was due out. The lady said that she had no information on the 160, but she did show a 165.

I verified that this was the correct box and sure enough it looks like what was once called the 160 is now the 165.

She didn't have much info on it other than it will have both DirecTV and OTA capability. Not scheduled release date was known.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Well, that is interesting. Samsung press release claimed 3 new boxes, the SIR-T151 which is the cheap OTA Box at $399 MSRP. The SIR-T160 which is the D*/OTA with no Firewire at $699 MSRP. And the SIR-T165 which is the OTA box with Firewire $699 MSRP.

Both OTA only boxes were due out in June, and the D*/OTA was due out in July or Aug.

If the T160 is now the T165, the what would the T165 be? It would be interesting to know as the (old) T165 OTA only is due out first.

-----------------------------Dave

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It might be that the 165 really is the 165 and a 160 will, eventually, come out. Maybe she just didn't have any info on it yet.

All I know for sure is that when I asked if this STB is both DirecTV and OTA she said that yes it was. She also mentioned that she had a model number 151 (OTA only).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Does anyone know what will change between the SIR-T150 and the SIR-T151, if anything? The SIR-T150 is $399 after rebate now.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dstarlin
I believe the 150 has an extra set of component outputs, and also a neat pass through, however I could be wrong. This was reported from twice at:
http://www.tvinsite.com/twice/index....ndustryid=1093

-----------Dave
The 150 has both VGA (i.e. RGBHV HD-15) and Component outputs. I'd bet that the 151 doesn't have the VGA. The pass-through that the 150 has is the RF antenna so you can daisy chain it with a VCR. Sounds as if that's gone in the 151.

The very end of the article mentions that they are now using a Broadcom demodulator chip instead of a proprietary chip, claiming that reception is improved.

- Chris

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.