Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Pardon me.

The previous link will not take you to the correct page unless you are a dealer. I was unaware of that. Here is the info listed on the web page:

Inteset - Denzel

Arguably the most advanced home theater system on the market, the Denzel TP400-S component will stun any audience. Finally, a system that lets you browse the Internet while watching and recording High Definition TV. Coupled with your premium sound system and wide screen digital display, you'll have your friends and family drooling with envy.

If you're thinking of investing in a new DLP or plasma display, the Denzel Home Theater system is a perfect complement. This high-end system converges nearly all entertainment components into one unit and works in concert with your receiver and display to produce the ultimate home theater experience.

specifications | accessories | locate dealer

Cable Ready TV Tuner - 125 channel cable ready TV tuner , PVR, pause live TV

HDTV Receiver - HDTV broadcasts via terrestrial antenna or cable/DSS pass-through

Record HDTV - record TV/HDTV programs, plus simple one-click record scheduling

LCD/DLP/Plasma Digital Display - supports LCD, DLP, or plasma screens with DVI inputs

Studio Quality HiFi Sound - Up to 7.1 channel surround sound

MSRP: $6,495

·
Registered
20,517 Posts
I didn't have any problem getting to the product's page and I'm not a dealer. Awfully expensive Home Theater PC.

What does it mean by "recording via cable/DSS pass-through"?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for giving the correct link. It does seem expensive, however if it is an HTPC that can also record and archive HDTV off cable and DSS then the price is much more justified. Looks like I'll have to call my rep and get more info. I was just wondering if anyone came across this baby at CEDIA.

·
Registered
20,517 Posts
A $1000 Zenith box will ship soon--it's a PVR which will record HDTV OTA and from unscrambled QAM cable, with a 1394 connection for archiving to D-VHS tape. The cable SOs should start deploying HD PVRs soon--the first ones probably won't allow archiving, but there should be some CableCARD equiped ones which will record scrambled HDTV and allow archiving of most of it to tape within 6 or 7 months, which you can buy. JVC should ship a DISH Network HD PVR with a 1394 output for archiving to tape soon.

Why piss away this kind of cash? Unless, of course, it also has superb DVD scaling/de-interlacing or something.

I also don't see where it says that it records HDTV from cable or DSS. In most cases, that would require hacking cable conditional access, and it would always be required for satellite. I would check this out very carefully.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Quote:
Unless, of course, it also has superb DVD scaling/de-interlacing or something.
Even if it had Faroudja's latest and greatest, I couldn't see anyone paying that much for something that you can get for under a grand like Mike stated. The problem is whether or not those dealers they cater to are 'in-the-know' on what else is out there. Their loss if they aren't.

Oh, it lets you surf the net while doing all of the above...that's where the other $5000 come into play! :)

Troy

·
Registered
3 Posts
I think the box is more than what you say here. I talked with Inteset and found that they are doing a web promotion and Denzel is selling for $5100. It is mouch more than a typical HTPC. Here is some detail I received from them:

* HDTV Tuner and Record Capability (OTA)

* Massive Media Storage - Audio/Video Jukebox (750GBs for 100's of full quality DVD's, 1000's of CD's)

* 7.1 Channel Surround Sound and Mulizone Audio Distribution

* Video Distribution (DVD's, Recorded TV, other)

* DVI Support for DLP, LCD, and Plasma Displays

* Record/Pause Live TV

* TiVo Series2 Media Server Compatibility

* Internet

* Bi-directional Remote Control Support (no line-of-sight issues)

I looked at a similar system from CellarCinema but Denzel is a better value overall.

·
Registered
20,517 Posts
Huh? Items, 1 and 6 are available with any $300 HD tuner card, and you can add item 5 to said tuner (the MyHD DVI daughter card) for another $90. You can buy 3 250GB ATA drives for about $600. You can Item 8, "Internet", is non-sequitir: it would be hard to buy a PC, HT or otherwise, not equiped for immediate connection to the Internet. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that any Windows PC on your LAN would be "TiVo Series2 Media Server Compatible". Every HTPC that I know of plays DVDs and recorded television--I don't know what's meant by other.

You got me with the "Bi-direction Remote Control Support" and "7.1 Channel Surround Sound and Mulizone Audio Distribution". Those wouldn't be worth an extra $1500-$2000 to me, but to each his own. ;)

No doubt, this is a very elegant, top shelf HTPC and it might be worth $5000 to the right buyers.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Your points are well taken. I sent Inteset support to this thread and this is their response...

- HD: WD2500JB (Western Digital/8mb cache) go from 250-300 each retail

- Runs a TiVo Series2 Server background app where TiVo will automatically see play lists and music files on the system (no special TiVo setup is needed)

- Gigabit Lan

- Quite PC: CPU-20dBA, Mobo-20dBA, Video-Heatpipe(nofan), PWS-(18.6 dBA)

- All software and hardware have been heavily quality tested and work seamlessly together

- Free lifetime phone/email support

Inteset also said they are working on an interface that allows you to control the system with a wireless Pocket PC or any other computer on the network. It's a free upgrade that will be ready this quarter.

It is a bit expensive, but I'm considering buying one of these so I don't need to go through the effort of build/trouble shooting. That's worth some extra bucks to me, plus their support seems responsive. They have a return policy too, but there's a restocking fee.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
That case looks like a coolermaster case.
http://www.coolermasterusa.com/Product.aspx?ID=18 for example.

Coolermaster case = $150

3x250GB hdd = $600 as someone said

P4 3C Ghz = $350

Decent MicroATX board (for example http://tw.giga-byte.com/MotherBoard/...8IPE1000MK.htm ) = $180 (or less)

512MB / 1GB ddr400 = $70 * 2

Exotic quiet cooling system = $300 (tops)

Exotic 7.1ch audio board(?) = $200 (tops)

Firewire card for HDTV = $10

HDTV OTA tuner card = $300

Geforce FX 5200 without an annoying fan = $80

Windows XP Pro = $199

Total: ~$2300 without OS, ~$2500 with.

I guess the rest goes into setup of the software / tivo license / remote control / marketing department.

Questions about Denzel box:

1. is the gigabit chip using CSA bus?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.