AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
 Very interesting article . 1080p would be fantastic if manufacturers start making RPTVs that support it. The article seems to suggest some high-end/plasma displays already support 1080p.

·
Premium Member
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, M&K S-125, S-80, MX-90, Windows Media Center 4K HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,623 Posts
Plasma won't support 1080p, at least without down-converting, but many high end graphics grade projectors will.

------------------

"better living thru modern expensive electronics"

tm

·
Registered
6,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
True. With Hollywood resisting 720p & 1080i for fear of movie piracy, they probably will not support 1080p.

[This message has been edited by Brajesh (edited 05-01-2001).]

·
Registered
195 Posts
the article says that these boxes upconvert to 1080p (along with many other formats)

hence

a) what you can display is obviously a function of your display device

b) it isn't up to hollywood, they're scaling whatever hollywood will allow to be broadcast
http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

peteg

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Ross:
How much value would this be if the SOURCE signal is not 1080p?
It's not necessary for the source signal to be 1080p. It's very easy for a high end scaler (i.e. Faroudja 5000) to deinterlace 1080i and output a 1080p picture out of this world (similar to how a progressive DVD player outputs 480p). The question is, how well can this new box do it? Can it come anywhere close to the 5000? Faroudja's propietary deinterlacing and scaling algorithms are the state of the art, that's why a 5000 costs 25k.

------------------

Vic Ruiz
STOP HDCP/DFAST/5C

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
1080p has a retrace time spec that very few display devices can meet. As far as I know only a few 9" CRT FPTVs are capable of handling a 1080p signal, not to mention capable of fully displaying it: Sony G90; Electrohome 9500 (and Vidikron Vision One clone); Barco 1209s (and Runco clone).

·
Registered
195 Posts
Unfortunately, the article doesn't mention anything about doing an inverse telecine process on 1080i signals. That would be the perfect feature. Then all these HD movies broadcast in 1080i could be output as 1080p, with no funny interpolation algorithms, just a straight recovery of the original film frames (in the digital domain, just like the best progressive DVD players).

------------------

- Jeff

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.