AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Experience with the new so-called "second generation" HD set-top boxes seems to indicate that, other than the Advanced Program Guide, they are really no better than the venerable first generation RCA DTC-100.

I believe it is wrong to consider these new STBs from Toshiba, Mitsubishi, Hughes, Sony, etc. as second generation boxes. They were designed about a year to eighteen months ago with the parts that were available then. They should have hit the market back then but were held up for over year because of APG guide and copy protection issues. The fact that they have come out in the last few months does not make them "new" - just very, very late.

I would call them late 1st generation boxes. None of them contain any of the newest generation 8VSB chips that are available now - the chips had not been developed when the hardware design was frozen 12-18 months ago. Although they made firmware changes to these units while they were being held up, the hardware is still old. So why should they be called second generation units? The real second generation STBs have not been released yet.

One could also argue that the original Panasonic and Mitsubishi STBs were the first generation, and that the DTC-100 and the recently released units are second generation. Following that logic it would be the third generation units we are waiting for.

·
Registered
5,331 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Yeringto:
One could also argue that the original Panasonic and Mitsubishi STBs were the first generation, and that the DTC-100 and the recently released units are second generation. Following that logic it would be the third generation units we are waiting for.
Correct. We are waiting on third generation products. The NxtWave NXT2001 chip should be available soon. It will take time for it to show up in product.

------------------

Wendell

Technical Services Supervisor

MAETV

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Yeringto

In a way I would have to agree with your statement.

Although I did just purchase a OTA only Pioneer SH-D505

High Definition Television Tuner and this indeed is a second

generation with the 8VSB chips and cable tv support, as well as

Operating Software Upgrade Service Port and an Upgrade Port for Future Applications.
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/Pi...22,200,00.html

I compared the OTA menu speed of this with my DTC and this

is so much faster to lock and bring the channels in.

It's just to bad I only have a few local OTA's here

in the Minneapolis area to play with.

I have had a chance to use the Panasonic TU-DST51.

This is a nice OTA unit.

As well as the Mitsubishi OTA HD-1080 (1st Gen)

I have played with the New Hughes and Sony STB's and

can not see what makes these any better then the DTC.

Yes the dtc has a clunky menu, but once your locked

you can watch tv, not like these new units of today.

It seems more people are spending their time fighting with

them or returning/exchanging them to the place of purchase.

With all these problem STB's out there,

Remember do not reward the manufacture's with your future purchases so fast with the release of their next models.

Make them work and wait for your hard earned cash, like we all had to wait over these last 18 months for the NEW/OLD LATE stb's that are bug filled.

People need to slow down when these new models come out.

What's the worse thing that will happen?

You will read of any bugs in the forums.

I'd rather read about them prior to my purchase.

If sales are slow on the release of a new line, the prices

WILL be cut to generate sales and you save some money.

[This message has been edited by Diode1 (edited 04-25-2001).]

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Engine-Ear:
Diode1,

Sounds like "words to live by!" I had not seen the Pioneer before your post. Is there any "cable 8VSB" HDTV delivery going on in the US? I was aware of TW in Houston delivering HDTV via cable, but I was under the impression that the carrier technology was not 8VSB?
Not here that I'm aware of in Minnesota,

I have not had the time to check the cable systems out

around the U.S.

At this point just using for OTA.

Pioneer has a new box that is on it's way

HDD/BS Digital Tuner SH-DTR1000

It will have a 60 gig hard drive to record.

Here's a link to some info:
http://www.pioneer.co.jp/press/release79.html

Let's hope it comes to the U.S. soon.

[This message has been edited by Diode1 (edited 04-25-2001).]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.