AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got my new development workstation all set up and in use now. It is definitely not a petite flower by any means. Its big and kind hulking looking, though oddy quite empty inside. I guess this is to maximize air volume for cooling reasons.

Its a dual 1.7Ghz Xeon PIV machine based on the i860 chip set, with dual channel RDRAM, dual PCI busses 2 64 bit/66Mhz slots and 2 32bit slots), 64 bit dual channel Ultra-160 SCSI controller (Adaptec), two 15K RPM 8MB cache 18GB Ultra-160 SCSI drives (and one 10K 18GB one as a backup/temp drive), dual monitor Radeon VE, 400Mhz FSB (actually a 100Mhz that is quad pumped so 4 transfers per bus cycle), plus the other usual stuff.

Needless to say its a wee step up from the previous 733 Dell Dimension :) The big advantage to me is that it now builds my CQC system well over twice as fast, but the system remains completely responsive to do other work at the same time. Before, I was pegging the CPU at ever link step, and running about 70% or so just during the compile steps. The machine was sluggish during those builds to say the least. Now it feels like nothing else is even going on while a build is active. It takes about 40% CPU (which is a cumulative measure of both CPUs) on average during the builds, so there's plenty left over for other things.

Its actually way faster than my server now, which is a dual 800Mhz PIII. But the server doesn't get nearly that much abuse and just provides domain controller services for my 4 machine network, has the DAT tape backup machine in it, and hosts SQL Server 2000 for development purposes.

I haven't tried putting a software DVD player on it yet, and its not intended to be an HTPC. So I don't know how it would do in that role, and there's no guarantee that it would be any better than the machine I replaced, though the high speed FSB might help some. But for development purposes, with the huge and piggy Visual Studio .net, it throws that stuff around like a TRex.

There isn't an Adaptec specific driver for the SCSI board yet, under XP that is. So I'm not sure if I'll get any more I/O performance once I get one or not, since I'm not sure how good the built in XP driver is. They have one out in beta form now, but I'm not about to put a beta driver on my development machine.

One less than ideal thing is that they do some sort of OEMing of the Radeon card, so you can't just download the latest drivers from ATI because they claim they aren't compatible with that board. I might just replace it with another Radeon or Geforce I have laying around.

It has both USB and Firewire ports. Once nicety is that it has USB and Firewire ports both on the back and on the front behind a little door. So its easy to just plug a digital camera in on the fly and then remove it.

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Hi Dean:

___You already know my thoughts on the duallies ;) In any case, as far as that Radeon driver problem, look up Ashley’s single post addition to a long thread about Radeon’s where I was bitching at Stephen Orr in regards to the OEM “Powered by ATI†vs. “Built by ATI†driver installations. Both Kei and I have been flashing the OEM’s to Retail for quite some time now to cure this problem. In any case, Ashley gave us a clue as to how to cure this problem with the OEM 7500’s. I can report success using the technique on not only an OEM “Powered by ATI†Radeon 7500 but also an “LE†that was not compatible with the 6025’s under XP Pro. This is a lot less risky than flashing the BIOS’s for sure … If you cannot find it directly, I will for you if need be as the fix is nothing more than 2 minutes worth of work depending on what card and driver you are using …

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.

___ [email protected]

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That particular thread doesn't seem to be wanting to jump up and find me, so could you point me at it?

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Dean,

I believe the basic approach was to find the PCI Vendor entry in the driver INF, and remove the subvendor portion of the string. If you can't find the original post and are unsure exactly what to change you might want to ask for more details on the PowerStrip forum, where you're more likely to get a response from Ashley.

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Hi Dean:

___Here it is on the third page of this thread entitled ATI 8500 gamma . That Ashley sure does know these VC’s nuances, doesn’t he ;)

___In my case, I extracted the contents of ATI’s 3276’s and copied/paste the contents into the same extracted 6025’s inf ID strings. Worked like a charm on that stubborn non-ATI “LE†under XP Pro.

___Enjoy

___Wayne R. Gerdes

___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.

___ [email protected]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.