AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
7,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a new issue that's cropped up, and can't put my finger on it.

Server:

WHS1, AMD X4, 4GB, 120GB 7200 boot, 5+TB of storage, GB NIC

NIC is manually configured for gigabit/full

HTPC:

Win7 32, P 5300, ATI 5450, 2GB RAM, 7200 RPM 160GB boot, GB NIC

NIC is manually configured for gigabit/full

Server never shows any signs of stress at all. RAM usage never over 2 GB, processor hovers around 30% while streaming, NIC never goes over 12%.

HTPC looks good too, low CPU, low NIC, etc.

Stuttering only occurs when streaming BD, whether from folder view or from .MKV. These are all rips from my own discs, nothing downloaded. I have tried both rips with full DTS-MA and just plain DTS. The stuttering seems to only occur when there is complex audio going on, whether loud sound effects or lots of music. Thing is, all was well for a long time but now it's just started doing this recently. I don't think this coincided with my upgrade to CCC 10.11, but it's possible. I should mention I have the same Shark 007 codecs I've been using for months, no upgrades have been done. Although it may be a placebo effect, it seemed like rebooting the WHS had a positive effect, in that it happens less often than before.

This is really irritating mainly because the new server had a high WAF until this all started.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Do you have ReClock installed? If not, it may be worth a try.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
If the 5450 is outputting to a receiver...

In Control Panel | Sound, under your active digital device, set the speaker configuration to stereo.

On the Audio TAB of the Settings Application,

passthrough should be selected on the rightside and

the speaker config on the left side should be set to 'Same as input'.

·
Registered
7,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No reclock.

It is connected to a VSX-1020-K, directly with HDMI. Will this still send DTS-MA, etc. to the receiver after I make these changes?

I appreciate it, I'll give this a shot tonight.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
As far as Windows is concerned, any digital audio signal being sent to an external device for decoding is perceived as 'stereo' by Windows. This doesnt apply to a player with its own speaker configuration. Media Center has its own speaker setup which is separate from Windows speaker setup, and should be configured to your actual speaker count.

Whenever you use a digital device to decode audio signals, the speaker configuration in my software should always be set to 'Same as input'.

·
Registered
7,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you very much, I hope this is my solution!!
I gotta get the wife happy with the setup again! I did catch her using it last night with no issues or complaints (DVDs seem to stream fine, I've put her exercise DVDs all on the server), so there is hope!

·
Registered
7,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK, the only difference was your app was set to 2.0 instead of "same as input". I have no idea how that default got changed, I didn't change it. Unfortunately I won't be able to test tonight, but given the default digital was already Stereo, and the one change to "same as input" do you think that'll have any effect?

·
Registered
7,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK, looking at CPU-Z right now. I correct myself, I have a 5200 not a 5300.

Core Speed holding steady at 1200 right on the dot. I've been watching it for a couple of minutes and it has not moved. I have not changed any BIOS settings. ESIT is still on at this point.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ
OK, the only difference was your app was set to 2.0 instead of "same as input".
That was most likely the problem right there.

Also open the settings application without admin privileges and setup the audio tab again

Openning the app as an Admin is a different user from openning the app without admin rights.

The audio tab can maintain settings from a multitude of users on the same system.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ /forum/post/19651704

The HTPC always logs in as the same user, will that matter?
Most things in the Settings Application require administrative privileges to execute.
Audio is the execption. When you rightclick the settings application shortcut and choose 'Run as administrator' you have just invoked a different user other than the user currently logged in to Windows.

The Audio TAB can maintain literally hundreds of users. The Administrator (Run as administrator) is one user, and openning the settings application without using administrative rights is a different user.

If you choose to disable UAC its anyones guess what setting is for what user or whether or not the setting is even applied at all.

·
Registered
7,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you VERY MUCH for that link! I still haven't had the time to test the changes I made to the Shark settings, but I'm not against trying any known fixes in the meantime. I can set the thing to run while I'm at work and shut off before I get home.

·
Registered
7,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Unfortunately the problem still exists. Changing to Same as Input in both the local user and the Administrator helped a bit, but it's still stuttering in areas where there is a bunch of music. I also changed the drive extender to be turned off during movie watching.

Here's an example. Last night we watched Despicable Me from the server. 720p MKV, since I've found I can rip animated shows at 720p and still be satisfied with the quality. Audio was DTS, not DTS-MA. The movie stuttered in 3 places during the movie. By far the worst area was toward the end when all the little yellow guys are dancing disco and bring Gru on-stage. It stutters a little just as he starts dancing, then when he goes up the scissor lift, it starts stuttering to the point of pausing for a brief moment. This continues until the music stops.

I looked at performance monitor on both the server and the HTPC. Server is doing nothing. It's pretty much sitting idle. HTPC during this scene is working a bit, processor goes up to between 40% and 60%, memory hangs at 850mb in use.

·
Registered
344 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ /forum/post/19663404

Unfortunately the problem still exists...

I forgot to ask; "How are your server and HTPC connected?".

Here's why I ask; link.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts