AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just joining the community... Any help is appreciated!
I setup my first 5.1 system recently and I have been pulling my hair out trying to be happy with my purchases. I upgraded from a Logitech Z263 2.1 system to the system spec'd below and just cannot get the bass to 'punch' enough.
While anything above ~60hz sounds MUCH better with new setup, the bass is disappointing for my music preferences. I can get plenty of boomy power with new system, but in terms of quick punches (drum kick, rap/edm beats) the new system cannot match the nearly 10 year old logitechs...

Current system specs:
  • Dayton Audio Mk442T Fronts
  • Dayton Audio C452-AIR Center
  • Dayton Audio Sub-1200
  • Rears (not important to this)
  • Yamaha RX-V385 Receiver

The logitech setup was in the exact same room with sub and speaker placement in the same place.

I believe the problem is in the receiver. I have hooked the logitech sub up to the yamaha receiver (although theyre meant to be direct hookup to pc) and the logitech sub ends up sounding similar to dayton sub as well. plenty of raw power holding low freqs but seems like no power on the kicks/spikes that accentuate a beat.

I have done the following:
  • Set impedance to 6ohm (lowest yamaha will go)
  • YPAO setup w/ sub gain at various stages. Sub internal crossover set to max.
  • Modified front speakers to 'small'
  • Tried wiring the sub through the L/R speaker out instead of LFE out
  • Did a sub crawl just to check. No real improvement.
  • Played with every setting I could find... crossover/db level/no eq/etc

Any advice from somebody more seasoned than me? Sounds crazy that I was just spoiled with the logitech punch... Cannot believe that is the answer. But I'm also struggling to believe that a different receiver is the answer as well.

Thanks for any help

·
Registered
341 Posts
Firstly, if your subwoofer sounds 'boomy', then you have it set incorrectly. Subwoofers should be felt, rather than heard. Make sure you use the LFE output on your receiver and ensure that it's plugged into the line in (RCA) input, on the back of the subwoofer. The reviews for this subwoofer look pretty good, so there is no reason you shouldn't be getting decent bass out of it. Try setting your subwoofer crossover to the standard 80 Hz setting and set the gain to the top-centre position, for a start. Ensure that you have the phase setting at '0'. And, don't forget, a lot of music doesn't have a lot of LFE data encoded on it, so you may not get as much bass as you'd like. That snappy, punchy bass, often comes from your mains, the subwoofer just gives you that extra low frequency punch. Maybe if you tried setting your mains to large, with all of the above adjustments, you may notice a difference. I'm sure others will give you some advice as well. Good luck.

·
Registered
262 Posts
It just seems like you're not conditioned to know what music sounds like through a 5.1 movie system. Most people don't even use their sub for music, they let the front speakers handle the bass. In my system for example, I don't need the sub on, I have floor standers that are plenty boomy enough, but I do use my sub for music because it has a music mode and I can tell the subtle difference, but it is subtle. The bass from the sub is very lowkey and soft behind everything else, that's how your sub should sound. It isn't going to sound like a car system because it's not getting that low LFE signal like movies send. I listen to a lot of EDM and even that stuff isn't much below 50hz if ever because most people don't even run speakers that go that low. My sub cut off is 80hz. If you want it "boomy" then you need to max out your sub volume as high as you think sounds good for music, but this is gonna be terrible when you watch movies. I can replicate the same on my system but don't because I prefer one level for everything.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
To me it seems the OP is looking for more kick/punch which is not what the subwoofer does. Its further up in the frequency range so is mostly by the main speakers.(think this is mentioned above also)
You might play around a bit with upper bass and lower mids manual EQ and see if it hits the spot.(if you can do that with your AVR)
Your logitech system probably has quite a lot of artificially added punch to sound punchy and fun but far from accurate while your new system is made more for accuracy. It takes some getting used to, and may not be to your liking so try a bit of EQ to make it sound more like what you are used to. What you prefer with your music may not work as well with movies.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for the detailed responses.

Mark - I have tried what you outlined, the tweaking does make a subtle difference, but it is subtle.

I think discspinner and Leeliemix have nearly hit it. the logitechs, built more for gaming i think will have much more artificial 'punch'. I do appreciate the sound accuracy in the new system but sometimes its just not as fun haha. Will try playing with EQ settings this evening. I didnt want to mess with YPAO EQ too much but I should be able to create another setting.

Thanks all

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
You should also read up on what setting the AVR to a lower than 8ohm setting actually does, not necessarily directly related though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts