AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Based on reviews here and elsewhere online I bought a new NXG BAS 12" sub to replace a Klipsch sub that I think was blown. The Klipsch had a creak sound like crickets when the bass hit hard. The Klipsch didn't buzz or hum all the time. It just creaked when it hit hard.
Anyway, when I plugged the NXG into the LFE audio cable it had a constant loud buzz. If I unplug the LFE audio cable it goes away. I thought it might be my Monster LFE sub cable. So, I tried a different audio cable and it buzzed the same. I thought it might be my receiver (Yamaha RXV2500). So, I tried the sub on a different receiver in a different room. It also buzzes when I plug the LFE cable in but the buzz is not quite as loud.
Thinking it was the sub I contacted Amazon about returning it. But, I then read online that if the sub buzzes when you plug the LFE cable in it is a ground loop issue. The suggestion was to get a directional or grounded audio cable for the sub. If that's all I need I'd hate to return a perfectly good sub.
The old Klipsch didn't buzz when I plugged the LFE cable in. The NXG buzzes on two different systems with different wall outlets and different audio cables. So, my thinking is it's a bad sub. I haven't seen any other reviews of this sub with the same issue. Could it be that both of my systems have a ground loop issue? I'm also wondering about the Klipsch. Would a ground loop issue not buzz when the LFE cable is plugged in but cause a sound like crickets inside the sub when the bass hits hard?
I thought about just getting one of the directional audio cables I saw suggested online. Does anyone think that would work? I really don't want to start disconnecting things from the two receivers as both have a lot connected to them (Cable, TV, other components, etc.) and one is really hard to get to. I appreciate any opinions or suggestions.
Thank you​

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
What Klipsch sub did you hear the creaking sound from? If it was the sub-12 or sub-10, it was the feet. I also heard that type of sound from my first sub-12 and it's the plastic feet vibrating against the cabinet. At first I thought it was something actually vibrating inside the cabinet. I took the foot off the corner the sound was coming from, put some black electrical tape on the corner to prevent the plastic leg from contact with the cabinet corner, then the squeak/creak was gone.

As for the NXG sub, do you have the sub plugged into the same outlet as the receiver? If the buzzing only happens when you plug in the sub cable, you might have a bad RCA jack on the sub.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mix Master thanks for the reply. The NXG was plugged into a completely separate wall outlet on both of the receivers I tried. I also tried plugging it into a power strip. It only buzzes when I plug the audio (LFE) cable that's connected to the receiver into the sub. If the sub is on and I unplug the LFE audio cable the buzzing stops.
On the Klipsch it was the down firing 10" but I don't have the model #. I actually put rubber feet on it and I tried the sub tipped over on it's side and it still made the same cricket sound. I'm sure it wasn't the feet. One of my kids did put a hot wheels toy car in the port in the back. But, I opened up the sub and got it out and it still had the cricket sound. I also replaced the woofer itself with another woofer thinking the woofer was bad and it made the cricket sound even worse with the different woofer.
I think you're right about the bad RCA plug on the NXG. I also noticed that the volume and frequency knobs on the NXG don't turn smoothly at all. There are great reviews about the NXG but it seems pretty cheap to me. Maybe it sounds good but I can't tell because of the buzzing. I'm not sure if I want to try to return it for a new one or just get something else.

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
I had the NXG sub and it's a solid performer for the price, but it is a very generic sub. Not even sure what amp they use, but it's probably just a generic one from China.

Downfiring 10'' you have sounds like the sub-10. You might try removing all the feet from the klipsch sub, then sit it upside down and try it out. What you are describing sounds just like what I encountered and it ended up being the feet making the creaking sound when low bass was being produced.

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
I found a hum when I turned the gain up on my Hsu VTF2 that someone else reported ... it went away when I plugged the sub into the same UPS/power strip that the amp was plugged into. Might try that.

Also, I wouldn't turn the sub up > 50% of the gain (mine's 30%), let the AVR boost the line level if needed.

// Posted from Tapatalk 3.2.1 for iOS - later versions are pfft //

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks again or the replies. I checked for the Radio Shack part and it's no longer available. I definitely would have tried that for $12. This noise isn't really a hum it's a loud buzz and turning the sub up or down makes no difference. Does that sound like a ground loop issue?
On the Klipsch I actually pulled the woofer out and ran it with the woofer sitting outside of the cabinet and it still had the cricket sound when the bass hit. The sound was coming directly from the woofer. I had another 10" woofer laying around and tried it and had the cricket sound even louder. So, it wasn't the feet on the cabinet. Could that be a ground loop issue too?
Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts