AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I just replaced an old 5.1 HTIB surround sound system with new B&W separates (684 series, minus the sub) and I'm trying to find a suitable subwoofer, to complete the set. If you have any suggestions, I would really appreciate the help.

My room is about 7.5ft (H) x 12.5ft (W) x 22ft (L) and adjacent to a smaller open room.

I have a budget of about $700-800, performance & quality are key, but it would be great to have a nice looking sub in either matte/gloss black, as well. I would be comfortable with up to a 20" (H) sub (includes feet). Also, I primarily use this system for Home Theater (movies, television & gaming), but I would also use this for music at times. Movies: 40%, Television: 40%, Gaming: 10%, Music: 10%) I don't typically blast movies/music, unless the wife is away from the house or she and my daughter are asleep... and even then, I don't go crazy. I love clear/crisp sound, but I truly enjoy low bass in sci-fi/action packed movies and music.

I've been reading the forum and taking a look around at different sites/companies, and I've found a few that interest me.

The first one I saw was the Emotiva Ultra 12 (via an Audioholics review), but I read here that the lows weren't as impressive as some other brands. I started looking at Epik Empire, Elemental Designs A5-350, and HSU Research VTF-15H. Any others that might have better value at a similar or better price?

Thanks again for taking a look and for any suggestions you can lend me.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Ninja go for the HSU at that price. It can hit very hard around 30hz and up. It is huge, almost as big as the SVS PB 13 Ultra (which I own) but near half the price. It has a flat frequency response and quite the advanced processor. If you need to go higher than your price range then go for the SVS PB 12 plus.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice, thanks guys. I really appreciate the help. I'll look into all of your suggestions and see what works best.

If I did do dual subs, what would you suggest for room placement, for proper equalization? Right now, my current sub is on the left side of the room, about 3ft from the front wall (where the tv is), and a few inches from the left wall. Would the 2nd one just be on the right side, same position?

Right now, my room is hard-wired for 7.1 surround, with the sub in front-left. My daughter also uses the room as her play-room (meaning, baby toys everywhere), so I'm kind of limited to placement, so best option for me would probably be 1 sub, but I'm willing to work it out, if it's within reason.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by putox1051 /forum/post/20826840

Dual Emotiva Ultra 12s would be perfect for your room. Do you really need response below 20Hz? Try 'em out, with a 30 day return policy. I think you'll be very happy.

Hey Putox,

Thanks for your input & suggestion.

I'm not sure if I'd need response below 20Hz, really - but the more range, the better, right? The only thing I've experienced with a lower response, would have been in the movie theater, since my current sub can't compare, even to the cheapest high-end subs. What I would love to get, is the lowest response possible, without distortion. I want to hear the deep bassy tones in good sci-fi/fantasy/action movies, like LOTR, Star Wars, Star Trek, Matrix, U-571, Saving Private Ryan, 300, 5th Element, etc... and of course, games with a lot of the same action, effects & music.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1 /forum/post/20826768

I would look into a dual sub setup. Having a sub in separate locations will help equalize the in room response, and reduce localization issues. A couple of these Dayton Audio C1500K 15" Powered Subwoofer Kits should work well in your room under budget.

Honestly, never thought subs/speakers were available in kits. It's interesting how many things come in kits, these days... cars, boats, speakers. Crazy.

Definitely an interesting idea. Do you have any of these? Can you attest to the quality/performance?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Jay & Jonny, you've been very helpful. Since I posted my first query, I've delved deeper into the subs that I was thinking about... and I'm deciding to go with Dayton Audio C1500k. The price & reported performance are too good to pass up. I'm going to start with one to see how it does. I'm thinking it should be fine, but if not... they're certainly affordable.

Again, thanks for your input/help. Can't wait to get my hands on this sucker.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.