AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was running my 5.1 system with the .1 going to the front l and r channels and sounded pretty good. i recently did a diy sub project, and wanting to feel the bass, i tuned the box down to about 20hz. now that the .1 is going to the sub, it seems like im missing mid bass. the low end is great, but audio in the 100hz range is lacking it seems.

my solution, is set the AV amp back to running the .1 to the front l and r channels to get the mid bass back, and using the front l/r preamp outputs, run that to a crossover, then to the sub (the sub output is disabled when running the .1 to the front l/r speakers)

any problems with this? or should i be approaching the problem a differnt way?

· Registered
1,011 Posts
Where's your xover set on the AVR? What's the upper limit on the sub? How's it roll off? Do you have any equipment to take scans?

· Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ive been playing with the crossover, and tried the full range available to me (80-200hz i believe i can adjust), and currently have it set to 120hz. the problem seems to be the higher end of the LF channel (.1) are not being fully heard from the sub. the sub is incredible once the frequency get below about 80hz. here is the graph i used to design the sub box.

it has a design frequency of 20.61hz and a volume of 206L and is ported.

the only thing i have to measure is a sound level meter, nothing any more specialized.

· Registered
985 Posts
Lower your crossover in your AVR. What kind of amp powers your sub? Does it have a lowpass filter on it?

· Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHD21 /forum/post/15413129

Lower your crossover in your AVR. What kind of amp powers your sub? Does it have a lowpass filter on it?

its an old yamaha m-80 running the sub, no low pass filter. if i use a low pass filter on it though, dont i loose part of the LF channel? (assuming im using the sub pre amp out as i am now)

· Registered
985 Posts
What is the crossover in your receiver set to now?

· Registered
985 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorac /forum/post/15460144

down to 80hz right now.

If you're still missing the midbass its something else.

Your AVR is sending everything under 80hz to your sub. So everything 80hz + is going to your mains like it was before you had a sub. So if you're still missing around the 100hz mark there's something else going on. Do you have a pic of your setup?

· Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHD21 /forum/post/15460408

If you're still missing the midbass its something else.

Your AVR is sending everything under 80hz to your sub. So everything 80hz + is going to your mains like it was before you had a sub. So if you're still missing around the 100hz mark there's something else going on. Do you have a pic of your setup?

as i understand it the cutoff doesnt affect the .1 channel? in my setup, it wouldnt affect the front left and right either, as they are full range (and set as such on the amp) the cutoff only affects the channels for the satalites and center.

i can get some pics, anything in particular you would like to see?

i have checked the phase, and have that set right.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.