AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I'm very new to all this DIY stuff, seems like a cross between rocket science and black magic? Anyway I digress... We are about to employ an architect, knock over an old home we purchased (conveniently only 200m from where we live now (in Australia)), and build a new home. My wife is very supportive of my desire for a home theatre, providing she cant see it, hear it, and I don't spend any money on it. Coming up with a solution that meets this brief I've found to be quite challenging. Anyway, as a dedicated room has also been forbidden (she IS a fantastic wife, really...), I need to fit the theatre into our lounge room.

I'm planning on using Triad inwall Silver LCR for front 3 channels, and maybe inwall bronze or silver for surrounds, possibly also looking at putting in height speakers for Atmos (inwall satellites maybe?). Anyway, my issue is how to get great bass in the room without spending a fortune on subs. I currently have an SVS SB12-NSD on a suspended wooden/carpet floor which performs exceptionally well for what it is, but now I want something more. I will need to hide the subs in the custom joinery that will also hold the AVR, Bluray etc, so size is a limitation as it needs to be appropriate for the room. I was planning on 2 enclosures to even out the bass, but have no idea what i should look at trying to build (12", 15" don't think 18" will fit?). I want sealed subs as I like listening to music and watching movies. Any suggestions would be very helpful. Oh, i'm not very 'handy' however have a mate who is a carpenter so I plan on buying him a case of beer and watching him work on any cabinetry required :) Or alternatively, could I build the custom joinery so that each end forms the sub cabinets?

·
Registered
778 Posts
Hi everyone,

I'm very new to all this DIY stuff, seems like a cross between rocket science and black magic?
A sealed sub is just a airtight box with air volume that suits the speaker and a hole in it that the speaker goes in. You need two wires and a connector or a inbox amplifier.

Figuring out the box volume is based on the speaker and the amount of damping you want (lots of damping = thinner sound, less damping = more ringing/ distortion/ fuller sound)

A basic program called WINisd can be used to figure out how big the box should be for a desired tonal quality.

That's about it. Well... for a sealed sub. :)

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A sealed sub is just a airtight box with air volume that suits the speaker and a hole in it that the speaker goes in. You need two wires and a connector or a inbox amplifier.

Figuring out the box volume is based on the speaker and the amount of damping you want (lots of damping = thinner sound, less damping = more ringing/ distortion/ fuller sound)

A basic program called WINisd can be used to figure out how big the box should be for a desired tonal quality.

That's about it. Well... for a sealed sub. :)
Will check out WINisd, is there much of a learning curve with it?

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
A little. What gets most people is inputting T/S parameters, as WinISD does some mathematical consistency checking on the numbers, and gives errors when the measured numbers don't match its consistency checks EXACTLY. The trick is to let WinISD auto-calculate as many of the parameters as possible. I input Qes, Qms, Fs, Vas, Mms, Re, Le if it's available, Xmax, Pe, and make sure Znom is correct. Tab through the page, and WinISD will fill in the blanks automatically.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Rather than trying to hide the subs in the wall, have you thought about building them into some end tables or an ottoman? The woodworking/finishing is a bit more complicated, but if you have a friend willing to help it's not all that bad. Check out my build thread below for some details on my End-Tables. Best of luck.

·
Registered
12,039 Posts
You don't need an attic.
You can build a false wall, it only takes 1ft, but it's recommend 2ft of depth.
Usually the front wall where the projector screen is mounting is chosen.

It hides the front, center and left speakers as well.

In-wall also hides the surrounds and all wiring.
The projector and electronics are usually placed in the back side of the theater behind glass (because of fan noise and heat.)

a dedicated room has also been forbidden (she IS a fantastic wife, really...)
Tell her that her walk-in shoe room is forbidden then... and futhermore she can't use YOUR side of the closet either, and NO her-his sinks will be built. LOL! LOL! LOL!
Ah nevermind... she will tell you to sleep on the sofa (permanently!)

It's so sad that you are building a new custom house and can't even do it properly.

Tell her that your tastes in music have now changed, and that you will now be listening to: "I'm a barbie girl remuxed with 1hr Obama speeches, a 60hz sinewave, with intermissions of elevator jazz, old country music, followed by dubstep with lots of swearwords and death metal grunts in it.", on repeat, at high volume.
and for a movie selection: 2 men and 1 cup.
(A perfect choice for any family room.)
LOL!

Attachments

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
My wife is very supportive of my desire for a home theatre, providing she cant see it, hear it, and I don't spend any money on it. Coming up with a solution that meets this brief I've found to be quite challenging.
This is a hard thing for me to understand, but I guess it is what it is.

Go get some of her favorite dance music and set up some speakers in the living room, even if you hate the music. Turn it up a bit and leave the room for a few minutes. If you come back and she's dancing, join in no matter how painful it is for you.

"It would be nice if we could do this more often.......but we need a better place than the living room"

If that doesn't work, be supportive of her oversized closet and beauty room, providing you can't see it, smell it, or spend any money on it. :D :D

·
Registered
130 Posts
My wife is very supportive of my desire for a home theatre, providing she cant see it, hear it, and I don't spend any money on it. Coming up with a solution that meets this brief I've found to be quite challenging.

Can't see it - Do not let her go into the room or build a secret door to hide it.

Can't Hear it - Perfect, this gives you the opportunity to buy some kick a$$ headphones that she can wear in order to listen to something else. (you get to use them to)

Don't spend money on it - Simple solution. Write your friend a check for the cost of the system. Have him buy it. That way you are just making a donation to a friend, and not spending money on a home theater.

Let me know if you need any more life advice, I am here all day.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Rather than trying to hide the subs in the wall, have you thought about building them into some end tables or an ottoman? The woodworking/finishing is a bit more complicated, but if you have a friend willing to help it's not all that bad. Check out my build thread below for some details on my End-Tables. Best of luck.
Very nice, like the idea a lot, will give it serious consideration!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You don't need an attic.
You can build a false wall, it only takes 1ft, but it's recommend 2ft of depth.
Usually the front wall where the projector screen is mounting is chosen.

It hides the front, center and left speakers as well.

In-wall also hides the surrounds and all wiring.
The projector and electronics are usually placed in the back side of the theater behind glass (because of fan noise and heat.)

Tell her that her walk-in shoe room is forbidden then... and futhermore she can't use YOUR side of the closet either, and NO her-his sinks will be built. LOL! LOL! LOL!
Ah nevermind... she will tell you to sleep on the sofa (permanently!)

It's so sad that you are building a new custom house and can't even do it properly.

Tell her that your tastes in music have now changed, and that you will now be listening to: "I'm a barbie girl remuxed with 1hr Obama speeches, a 60hz sinewave, with intermissions of elevator jazz, old country music, followed by dubstep with lots of swearwords and death metal grunts in it.", on repeat, at high volume.
and for a movie selection: 2 men and 1 cup.
(A perfect choice for any family room.)
LOL!
It sounds like you have some experience in the wife department :) I think I would be sleeping on the couch ha ha. The false wall could work well I think, when you say it should be at least 2 ft is that simply for easier access or is that to allow the IB to work more efficiently? If I could mount all speakers into the wall (could I mount JTR 228HT's like that??) and create an IB and DIY build some cheap subs that would be absolutely perfect :) Love your room by the way! Where is your projector, cant even see it in that photo?

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This is a hard thing for me to understand, but I guess it is what it is.

Go get some of her favorite dance music and set up some speakers in the living room, even if you hate the music. Turn it up a bit and leave the room for a few minutes. If you come back and she's dancing, join in no matter how painful it is for you.

"It would be nice if we could do this more often.......but we need a better place than the living room"

If that doesn't work, be supportive of her oversized closet and beauty room, providing you can't see it, smell it, or spend any money on it. :D :D
I'd better work on my dance moves :)

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Can't see it - Do not let her go into the room or build a secret door to hide it.

Can't Hear it - Perfect, this gives you the opportunity to buy some kick a$$ headphones that she can wear in order to listen to something else. (you get to use them to)

Don't spend money on it - Simple solution. Write your friend a check for the cost of the system. Have him buy it. That way you are just making a donation to a friend, and not spending money on a home theater.

Let me know if you need any more life advice, I am here all day.
This made me laugh...a lot.

·
Registered
5,969 Posts
...My wife is very supportive of my desire for a home theatre, providing she cant see it, hear it, and I don't spend any money on it. ...a dedicated room has also been forbidden...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts