AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone I'm looking for a new sub but am overwhelmed in making a decision. Don't laugh at my setup because I'm only 19 amend this is what I have acquired in the past few years.

Receiver- Yamaha rxv 863

Center- Martin Logan encore tf

Towers- polk audio rti1000

Surrounds- klipsch dipole reflecting

Subwoofer- paradigm ps1200

Room size- 10x10 but eventually moving out and expanding

I currently have saved up about $850 and was looking to purchase a new subwoofer. I have looked at the definitive technology supercube 4000 and the velodyne minivee. Which one of these is better and are there any other suggestions. Thank you

·
Registered
5,049 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckubs  /t/1510043/new-subwoofer-850-limit#post_24166518

Hello everyone I'm looking for a new sub but am overwhelmed in making a decision. Don't laugh at my setup because I'm only 19 amend this is what I have acquired in the past few years.

Receiver- Yamaha rxv 863

Center- Martin Logan encore tf

Towers- polk audio rti1000

Surrounds- klipsch dipole reflecting

Subwoofer- paradigm ps1200

I currently have saved up about $850 and was looking to purchase a new subwoofer. I have looked at the definitive technology supercube 4000 and the velodyne minivee. Which one of these is better and are there any other suggestions. Thank you

Oh no with $850 you can do a lot better than a supercube. Check out SVS PB12, Hsu VTF3 Mk?, Outlaw audio LFM-1 EX, and the Power Sound Audio XS15 or XV15.

·
Registered
437 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin  /t/1510043/new-subwoofer-850-limit#post_24166597

Oh no with $850 you can do a lot better than a supercube. Check out SVS PB12, Hsu VTF3 Mk?, Outlaw audio LFM-1 EX, and the Power Sound Audio XS15 or XV15.

+1

I was going to recommend dual subwoofers but I would focus on getting the best you can for $850 and add a second one later if you move into a bigger space. SVS will be releasing new subwoofers that should be in your price range in the coming days. I would stick with the major ID (internet direct) companies for they will provide you with the best bang for your buck.

HSU, SVS, Rythmik, Outlaw, PSA,

·
Banned
8,303 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckubs  /t/1510043/new-subwoofer-850-limit/0_100#post_24166518

At nineteen......
Congrats on your audio efforts. Very nice.

With a $850.00 budget, my recommendation, buy a SVS PB-1000 today and later, after installing the single subwoofer and you've had a chance to save up a bit more, buy a second PB-1000. Installing two subs on opposite walls will go a long way in bringing the bass alive in the room.

If insisting on going with one subwoofer today, go with a PSA XV15 and call it good until time that you want more.

Hope the above helps.

-

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
I agree with the others, SVS, HSU, PSA, or Outlaw will do nicely. One additional option would be a Rythmik 12" which would do fine in that room.

·
Banned
8,303 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnatalli  /t/1510043/new-subwoofer-850-limit/0_100#post_24167981

One additional option would be a Rythmik 12" which would do fine in that room.

+1

The Rythmik LV12R, very nice. Use the extra monies to get a measuring microphone and a sound meter. With those two tools in hand, one can download, install and get a freeware copy of REW, up and running so one can measure and dial in the interaction of the subwoofer with the acoustics of the listening venue.

·
Registered
75" Samsung Q80R QLED, Denon AVR3300, Revel F36, C25, W263, FV15HP x 2, ATV4K, Sony Blu Ray, Harmony
8,818 Posts

10x10 room. BIC F12, $200.   Not 100% sure how low your paradigm goes or how old it is.  Shouldnt take much sub for that tiny room.  Put the rest in savings for when you need it or can use it.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My goal is to shake the house down so I'm most likely going for either the svs or the hsu. Thanks for all the help everyone

·
Registered
3,007 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckubs  /t/1510043/new-subwoofer-850-limit#post_24168571

My goal is to shake the house down so I'm most likely going for either the svs or the hsu. Thanks for all the help everyone

If output is your main goal, go with the PSA XV15.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
is the PSA XV15 really that much better? I want loudness but I also do not want to give up clarity in the bass itself

·
Banned
8,744 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckubs  /t/1510043/new-subwoofer-850-limit#post_24171367

is the PSA XV15 really that much better? I want loudness but I also do not want to give up clarity in the bass itself

It's can probably get a tad louder than the Hsu VTF3 and significantly louder than the PB12 NSD, but if you push it that hard it loses a great deal of accuracy. My preference would be the VTF3 between the three.

·
Registered
75" Samsung Q80R QLED, Denon AVR3300, Revel F36, C25, W263, FV15HP x 2, ATV4K, Sony Blu Ray, Harmony
8,818 Posts

I agree with shady somewhat.  If you are looking for max output, my choice would be between the VTF3 and XV15.  For the cleanest, most linear, accurate sub, PB12-NSD, although it does give up substantial output above 30 Hz.

To put this in perspective though, I just purchased the PB12-NSD.  I was somewhat concerned that its max output was lower than those two options.  In my 17'x16.5' x 9' room with several openings to other rooms, my Yamaha RXV-375 amp runs out of steam before the limiter lights up on the sub, even on bass heavy(electronica) music, running the sub a few ticks hot.

Perhaps for movies with gobs of low frequency effects it would be taxed more.  But on music, my system runs out of steam before the sub does.

Update....SVS just announced the new PB2000(1/7/14) for 799.  It may have as much max output as the above two choices now, it did bump the amp from 400/800 to 500/1100.

·
Banned
8,744 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear123  /t/1510043/new-subwoofer-850-limit#post_24171908

I agree with shady somewhat.  If you are looking for max output, my choice would be between the VTF3 and XV15.  For the cleanest, most linear, accurate sub, SB12-NSD, although it does give up substantial output above 30 Hz.

To put this in perspective though, I just purchased the PB12-NSD.  I was somewhat concerned that its max output was lower than those two options.  In my 17'x16.5' x 9' room with several openings to other rooms, my Yamaha RXV-375 amp runs out of steam before the limiter lights up on the sub, even on bass heavy(electronica) music, running the sub a few ticks hot.

Perhaps for movies with gobs of low frequency effects it would be taxed more.  But on music, my system runs out of steam before the sub does.

The SB12 is not bad for the size, but most of these other subs are a lot more linear and cleaner. Look at the distortion and compression graphs for the SB12, that is the penalty you pay for its small size. Compare that to the PB12 NSD distortion and compression charts. If you can handle the size of a larger sub go for one.

·
Registered
8,818 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ  /t/1510043/new-subwoofer-850-limit#post_24172073

The SB12 is not bad for the size, but most of these other subs are a lot more linear and cleaner. Look at the distortion and compression graphs for the SB12, that is the penalty you pay for its small size. Compare that to the PB12 NSD distortion and compression charts. If you can handle the size of a larger sub go for one.
Typo, i meant PB12, going back to edit my post.(Actually PB2000 as of now)

·
Registered
1,641 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckubs  /t/1510043/new-subwoofer-850-limit#post_24166518

Don't laugh at my setup because I'm only 19 amend this is what I have acquired in the past few years.

Like you, I got into this hobby when I was pretty young (not that I'm exactly old now). I promise you, this is a much more impressive setup then I had at 19. As far as your question, I'm in a similar place looking for a sub in that price range. I will tell you, this far I really like what I've reading about the PSA XV15. That thing sounds like a whole lot of sub for the money.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I agree but I'm still hesitant to pull the trigger I'm so nervous to choose one. like im dedicated on getting the best sub I can for the money and there are so many great candidates

·
Registered
13,398 Posts
You won't be disappointed with any of the subs recommended above....just DO IT!!

·
Registered
8,818 Posts

Check out the new SVS PB2000 that just came out today as well.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
you think the svs pb2000 would be at a disadvantage compared to the others because it is sealed?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts