AVS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Looking at getting the Polk Audio PSW111 (currently on sale) to go with my Klipsch HD300 speakers.

The lowest frequency for the Klipsch HD300 is 150Hz. 

I have the receiver set for 160Hz (skips from 120 to 160).

However, this subwoofer only goes down to 120Hz crossover.

How would I adjust it so that it could work and not leave a gap?

·
Registered
362 Posts
If you want to use this sub and are connecting it to the "sub out" on the receiver. Just turn the knob all the way clockwise to the LFE position. This should essentially bypass the built in crossover and allow the sub to reach up to your sats.

·
Registered
18,022 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TA86  /t/1522162/new-subwoofer-crossover-help#post_24471513

Looking at getting the Polk Audio PSW111 (currently on sale) to go with my Klipsch HD300 speakers.

The lowest frequency for the Klipsch HD300 is 150Hz. 

I have the receiver set for 160Hz (skips from 120 to 160).

However, this subwoofer only goes down to 120Hz crossover.

How would I adjust it so that it could work and not leave a gap?
You cant. You either need a sub that will go higher or speakers that will go lower. Thats one of the problems with mini sat speakers and budget subwoofers. Sorry.

The best you can do is follow the above post and set the receiver crossover at 160.

Also unless youre getting a fantastic deal on the 111 you can do better for your money.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Oh snap there is an LFE...okay answers that.

For those who know about this Subwoofer and/or Speaker system, would this help balance my crossover and create a more balanced mid-low transition?

Klipsch HD300

Satellites: .75 tweeter / 2.5" woofer - 150Hz +20khz

Current Sub: 6" 80Watt - 40Hz-240Hz

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

What would you recommend?

·
Registered
362 Posts
Why can't he use it? With the crossover disabled (LFE setting) It should easily reach up into the region of the sats. Even the specs (not necessarily any more accurate that the Klipsch specs) say it reaches up that high. Not that is going to be a huge upgrade, but he has a boxed sub sat system.

·
Registered
18,022 Posts
Originally he said the sub only goes down to 120. Then he said it goes up to 240.

For 2 channel music a xover of 160 may be helpful depending on his AVR and how he sets it up. With 5.1 the LFE signal (.1) only goes up to 120. So regardless of how high he sets the crossover he will be missing out on atleast 120-150 depending on how real the specs are for the speakers and sub. Thats just the sacrifice you make by getting speakers that will not go below 120. The best way to make sure youre not missing any of the frequency range is to get speakers that can realistically do 80. Then you can choose a crossover between 80 and 120 according to what sounds best.

·
Banned
15,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TA86  /t/1522162/new-subwoofer-crossover-help#post_24471655

Satellites using at least four inch drivers. Anything smaller and you either have to run the sub well up into the directional frequencies or you will have a hole between where the sub stops and satellites begin.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice  /t/1522162/new-subwoofer-crossover-help/0_100#post_24472015

Quote:
Originally Posted by TA86  /t/1522162/new-subwoofer-crossover-help#post_24471655

Satellites using at least four inch drivers. Anything smaller and you either have to run the sub well up into the directional frequencies or you will have a hole between where the sub stops and satellites begin.

I would recommend going with at least 5" drivers.  I would suggest getting something that can go down low enough to use the THX recommended crossover point of 80 Hz.

·
Banned
15,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack D Ripper  /t/1522162/new-subwoofer-crossover-help#post_24478231

I would recommend going with at least 5" drivers.  I would suggest getting something that can go down low enough to use the THX recommended crossover point of 80 Hz.
I use fours. Twenty four of them.

·
Registered
18,022 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice  /t/1522162/new-subwoofer-crossover-help#post_24479240

Which makes a good point. Theres more to it than the size of the drivers. Multiple 4s in say a decent quality tower should be able to reliably hit 80. But a cheap 6.5" bookshelf may not.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007  /t/1522162/new-subwoofer-crossover-help/0_100#post_24479429

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice  /t/1522162/new-subwoofer-crossover-help#post_24479240

Which makes a good point. Theres more to it than the size of the drivers. Multiple 4s in say a decent quality tower should be able to reliably hit 80. But a cheap 6.5" bookshelf may not.

Enough 3" drivers could do it, too.  Or even 1" drivers, if there were a crazy number of them.  In general, though, people have one woofer in mind in such matters, and if one means some other number of them, one should mention that.  Really, this brings us back to the idea that one should select the speakers based on performance, not how the performance is achieved.  I recommend getting speakers that go low enough to be able to use a crossover of 80 Hz, which means the -3dB point of the bass end of the frequency response should probably be around 60 Hz or so, or lower.  If this is achieved with one woofer, it is generally going to be 5" or bigger, though there might be a few speakers that are exceptions to that general rule.

·
Registered
18,022 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack D Ripper  /t/1522162/new-subwoofer-crossover-help#post_24479728

Enough 3" drivers could do it, too.  Or even 1" drivers, if there were a crazy number of them.  In general, though, people have one woofer in mind in such matters, and if one means some other number of them, one should mention that.  Really, this brings us back to the idea that one should select the speakers based on performance, not how the performance is achieved.  I recommend getting speakers that go low enough to be able to use a crossover of 80 Hz, which means the -3dB point of the bass end of the frequency response should probably be around 60 Hz or so, or lower.  If this is achieved with one woofer, it is generally going to be 5" or bigger, though there might be a few speakers that are exceptions to that general rule.
+1

·
Banned
15,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmedreda  /t/1522162/new-subwoofer-crossover-help#post_24481164

Is that 24 per speaker?
Eight each L/R, six in the center, just one in the rears. And before you ask, the rears are 1/6th the distance from the LP as the L/C/R, so they just don't need more than one to match the L/C/R levels at the LP.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts