AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm an audio noob and just got a nice surround sound system. Denon 4311 and full set of Definitive speakers and subwoofer. 3 days after install when system was on a Tivo menu and there should have been silence I heard some crackling sounds coming from the subwoofer. These sounds went away, then came back later. Should I be concerned? Is there a simple way to "reboot" the sub to get rid of it short of pulling out the power cord.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
The crackling can sometimes be due to a failing electrolytic capacitor in the subwoofer. If that is the situation, then it will slowly get worse until complete failure.

It should not be happening with a new subwoofer.

·
Registered
89 Posts
or you can try a can of dust in and around the vol/xover knob

·
Registered
12,417 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yomamaflorida /forum/post/19645177

I'm an audio noob and just got a nice surround sound system. Denon 4311 and full set of Definitive speakers and subwoofer. 3 days after install when system was on a Tivo menu and there should have been silence I heard some crackling sounds coming from the subwoofer. These sounds went away, then came back later. Should I be concerned? Is there a simple way to "reboot" the sub to get rid of it short of pulling out the power cord.

If you hear the sound again, quickly hit the mute button on the remote to see if that does anything. If not, then see if turning the sub's volume control all the way down helps--or if that changes it at all (louder/softer). The idea is to see if the noise is being fed into the sub or generated internally. Once you isolate where it originates, we can better speculate how to deal with it.

·
Banned
3,811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by totalimmortal363
Don't def tech amps make a slight crackle sound when then turn on? Mine do. Hard to hear but I can catch it from time to time
they shouldn't. you could either have a bad cable, bad connection, crimped cable etc...or it could be in your pre/pro/receiver as well. change cables and see what happens. if it's in the speakers themselves then they will make the noise even when nothing is playing but they have power. same for the sub.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts