1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Receiver: Onkyo HT-RC160

Speakers: Klipsch Quintet 3

Sub: Polk PSW505

I'm not sure exactly what's going on. I just unboxed a BRAND NEW PSW505 and hooked it up to my system with an RCA cable going from my receiver's "Subwoofer Out" to the Sub's "LFE" in put. After getting it set up, i removed the grill in the front to take the foam out - while doing so the Sub gave a low pop as i found out the RCA cable wasn't able to form a solid connection to the sub (it was a Monster cable [i know - i got it from my b-i-l] that had some kind of special end piece that has been loosened and is no longer effective - i didn't realize it).

I didn't figure it was a big deal - so i turned it off (the receiver actually was still off) and finished getting the foam from behind the grill. I then turned it back on, popped in a movie... and nothing.

I then went to the speaker settings page from my receiver - and when it went through the speakers i got nothing from the sub.

This is frustrating as i just got this to replace a Klipsch Sub-10 that was doing the EXACT SAME THING. But i gave the Sub-10 to a buddy to figure out what was wrong with it, and he couldn't - so i know in that case the sub was out. Is this a sub problem? Is this a receiver problem? Did i blow the amp the one time that metal touched the LFE in and it made that noise? Do i need to send this back to Newegg? I'm pulling my hair out in frustration as this was supposed to be an easy install.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

Chris

EDIT: Ok - i went into the speaker setup page where you can manually change their db ratings (which is where i was before and figured i had nothing with the sub). It turns out if i put the sub all the way up to +12 db, i can get a very low rumble from the sub. If i change the volume knob on the back of the sub all the way to max, then it gives me some bass in the movie. It's not anywhere what i was expecting, and doesn't compare at ALL with the Klipsch Sub-10 i had before - but there IS something coming out. So is this defective in some way? Is there a problem with the setup? What do you guys think? - and sorry - it won't let me edit the thread title.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Do you have your other speakers set to small in the reciever settings? If not try that.

Also what do you have the crossover set to on the reciever and on the back of the sub? You will want to ensure the reciever is set to 80hz or higher for the Sub (LFE channel) and if the Sub itself has a crossover in the back, set it to off.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Did the Polk 505 subwoofer originally work and then stop working? Did your friend clearly establish that the Polk subwoofer is not working properly?

monoprice.com has inexpensive cables. If you are in a hurry, you can try Radio Shack, Walmart, or Home Depot.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunga99 /forum/post/18314312

Do you have your other speakers set to small in the reciever settings? If not try that.

Also what do you have the crossover set to on the reciever and on the back of the sub? You will want to ensure the reciever is set to 80hz or higher for the Sub (LFE channel) and if the Sub itself has a crossover in the back, set it to off.

Receivers are small set to 80hz crossover, and i put the sub at 100hz crossover. Here's my ignorance for the sub - it has a low pass dial, which is default at 90, and it has a phase switch which is set to 180, are either of these the same as crossover? Should i put the low pass at 0? I'm sure there's a thread here somewhere that explains it - but figured you could give an easy answer.

As far as cables - i have RCA cables coming out of my ears around here - so i have a replacement.

·
Registered
22,521 Posts
Take a CD player and plug either channel directly into the sub's line-level input. Be sure to have the sub's volume turned down. If you get audio, then the sub is OK.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes /forum/post/18314535

Take a CD player and plug either channel directly into the sub's line-level input. Be sure to have the sub's volume turned down. If you get audio, then the sub is OK.

Does this work with using audio out for a DVD player? I actually don't have a separate CD player.

·
Registered
22,521 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by candjhuntley /forum/post/18314920

Does this work with using audio out for a DVD player? I actually don't have a separate CD player.

Any line-level input is fine. Just be sure the crossover is set to max value.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin /forum/post/18324136

Great, so what did you do to correct the problem?

Ha - i'm not really sure. Perhaps there's a warm-up period i was not aware of? Basically, i went back to the receiver in frustration and in the db settings screen of the setup, i tried again - this time i could barely hear a faint rumble coming from the sub when i put the db setting on max - so i bumped up the volume on the back of the sub and was able to hear it a little - but not nearly what i was hoping for.

Well - i decided to try again with the movie, and i could somewhat hear bass i wasn't hearing before the first time i tried. Then in another scene, it seemed like it was there full force - i actually had to turn down the volume on the back of the sub and adjust the settings menu a little bit (i.e. lower it). I'm not sure what sparked it to work, but i'm glad it did. I know it's not what i was hoping for, but perhaps with some tweaking i can get it to where i like it.

Thanks!

·
Registered
9,437 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by candjhuntley /forum/post/18327943

Ha - i'm not really sure. Perhaps there's a warm-up period i was not aware of? Basically, i went back to the receiver in frustration and in the db settings screen of the setup, i tried again - this time i could barely hear a faint rumble coming from the sub when i put the db setting on max - so i bumped up the volume on the back of the sub and was able to hear it a little - but not nearly what i was hoping for.

Well - i decided to try again with the movie, and i could somewhat hear bass i wasn't hearing before the first time i tried. Then in another scene, it seemed like it was there full force - i actually had to turn down the volume on the back of the sub and adjust the settings menu a little bit (i.e. lower it). I'm not sure what sparked it to work, but i'm glad it did. I know it's not what i was hoping for, but perhaps with some tweaking i can get it to where i like it.

Thanks!
Quote:
Receivers are small set to 80hz crossover, and i put the sub at 100hz crossover. Here's my ignorance for the sub - it has a low pass dial, which is default at 90, and it has a phase switch which is set to 180, are either of these the same as crossover? Should i put the low pass at 0? I'm sure there's a thread here somewhere that explains it - but figured you could give an easy answer.

Phase to "0"

Low Pass to "120"

Power to "ON" (change to "Auto" after running Audyssey)

Volume to 10 o'clock or half

Run Audyssey 2EQ Auto Setup

Subwoofer to "Yes"

Speakers to "Small"

Crossover Freq. to "80"

LPF of LFE to "120"

·
Registered
5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin /forum/post/18316620

If a iPod is available connected it to the subwoofer using a (Y) 3.5 mm to 2 Male RCA cable.

I'm having a similar problem with my PSW505. Low sound output with a subwoofer cable connected between my Yamaha RX-V663 receiver's Subwoofer PRE-OUT output and one of my sub's LINE-IN input.

I've used a (Y) 3.5mm to 2 male RCA cable to connect my laptop's headphone output to the sub's LINE-IN input and it thumps. I also tested the subwoofer cable by connecting it to one of the RCA connections on the (Y) cable and thumps.

When I say "thumps" I mean it makes bass as normal.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
First try a new cable from your Yamaha receiver to your subwoofer. You can get subwoofer cables at monoprice.com, Radio Shack, HD, or Walmart.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts