AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all long time reader first time poster. I was hoping if anyone can help me here. Im looking to get a subwoofer to pair with my bowers and wilkins m1 satellite speakers. Its a 5.1 set up for an open plan living room. I currently have a velodyne eq max 10 and feel like its time for an upgrade. I primarily watch movies and want that chest thumping sound, but cannot fit anything bigger than a pb1000.

So Im looking at either the pb1000 or sb2000. Im choosing these two for the price but leaning towards the sb2000 because of space. My question is, is there are huge differnece in svs ported vs sealed subs? I mainly watch movies and listen to hiphop music. My research tells me to go with a ported sub, but can a sb2000 still sound really good and give that big lfe sound compared to a pb1000? Or is it a night and difference? Am i just best to get the ported pb1000?

Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
I'm not too familiar with that veldyne you have but if the info I found online is right, I think both the SVS subs will be an upgrade.

Just to be sure, you are wanting chest slam for things like gun shot sounds and such, right? You are not looking at ULF extension that will shake the couch like crazy, correct? If you are looking for chest slam and not ULF extension, you can look at sealed subs which will have smaller enclosures.You will need ported most likely if you want the ULF performance. If not, then sealed may work but it also really depends how big the continuous space is too.

For the budget you are currently considering that will be tough. Maybe something like HSU ULS15 might be worth investigating.

If you up the budget a bit you could also consider sealed 15" subs like Rythmik e/f15, PSA S15, or even up to sealed 18" sub like Rythmik F18 or PSA S18.

Reactions: eljaycanuck

·
Premium Member
10,801 Posts
Not sure what your budget is but for $500 (incl. shipping) I'll suggest you try the Monoprice Monolith 10" subwoofer. It's well-rated, powerful, tune-able (you can run it ported or sealed) and THX Select Certified for low distortion.

If you can spend $616 (incl. shipping) consider the well-rated HSU VTF-2 MK5, which can also be run in ported or sealed mode.

Either of those subs will blow away the Velodyne.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi guys thanks so much for the replies.

What im wondering is, i do enjoy both the chest slamming bass and deep lfe sounds. Is there a happy medium subwoofer out there that can do both? Im sorry i should of mentioned i am based in Australia and cannot get a hold of monolith or hsu subs easily. I do have access to svs, klipsch, bowers, goldenear and dynaudio subs.

Would it be any benefit to look at those other brands? Or am i best set to stick with svs? Also can the sealed sb2000 provide a good enough lfe experience in comparison to the pb1000?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Hi guys thanks so much for the replies.

What im wondering is, i do enjoy both the chest slamming bass and deep lfe sounds. Is there a happy medium subwoofer out there that can do both? Im sorry i should of mentioned i am based in Australia and cannot get a hold of monolith or hsu subs easily. I do have access to svs, klipsch, bowers, goldenear and dynaudio subs.

Would it be any benefit to look at those other brands? Or am i best set to stick with svs? Also can the sealed sb2000 provide a good enough lfe experience in comparison to the pb1000?

Thanks!

Does SVS in australia offer free returns? If so, I would at least start with SVS subs to see if you like them. They are very good products.

As for the ULF and chest slam, you can get both in a ported sub and sometimes you can get both in a sealed sub if your room is small enough. But if you have no other locations to fit a sub and you can't go any bigger than a PB-1000, I would probably try the SB-2000 first to see if you like it.

·
Premium Member
^^^Respect My Authoritah!
4,949 Posts
Does SVS in australia offer free returns? If so, I would at least start with SVS subs to see if you like them. They are very good products.

As for the ULF and chest slam, you can get both in a ported sub and sometimes you can get both in a sealed sub if your room is small enough. But if you have no other locations to fit a sub and you can't go any bigger than a PB-1000, I would probably try the SB-2000 first to see if you like it.
Or even buy one of each, and return the loser. I would think that the PB1000 will do a better job at the low end, it's supposedly quite respectable for such a relatively small and inexpensive sub, but I'd bet the SB2000 would give a better experience up a little higher. If the klipsch 15 inch sub fits, and is affordable, I would think it would be a solid choice. (RP115SW, I forget the model number of it's successor.)

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Or even buy one of each, and return the loser. I would think that the PB1000 will do a better job at the low end, it's supposedly quite respectable for such a relatively small and inexpensive sub, but I'd bet the SB2000 would give a better experience up a little higher. If the klipsch 15 inch sub fits, and is affordable, I would think it would be a solid choice. (RP115SW, I forget the model number of it's successor.)

Based on the published numbers they have the same -3dB point at 19Hz. I was suggesting the SB-2000 first because at that point the SB-2000 will have a much slower rolloff and significantly more usable output below 19Hz depending on the room gain.

Trying both is a great idea, though. Nobody knows what they will like until they try it.

Reactions: drh3b

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Awesome thanks guys for your input! There is no free trial here in aus for svs but some dealers have them in display to listen to. Ill try give the klipsch a listen as well. Appreciate your help!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts