AVS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking to replace my current 8" subwoofer that I use for movies and tv shows. My current one is this Harman Kardon: harman/kardon HKTS 200SUB - subwoofer Specs

And the new one Im considering is this Wharfedale SW-12: SW-12 – WHARFEDALE

So my question is; Will it feel like an upgrade replacing my old Harman Kardon with the Wharfedale SW-12? I know there are better subwoofers out there, but my budget is 400 usd.

·
Registered
18,495 Posts
So my question is; Will it feel like an upgrade replacing my old Harman Kardon with the Wharfedale SW-12? I know there are better subwoofers out there, but my budget is 400 usd.
Yes, although the Wharfedale rolls off at 35Hz meaning it will be good for music, not great for movies.

Are you able to order subs shipped from the UK? If yes, I'd look at this company if you watch a lot of blockbuster action movies:

Reactions: sigpig

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Why not consider a professional subwoofer?
I'd recommend the awesome Presonus T10.
It actually goes to around 20Hz, and if it's good enough for many sound-mixing professionals... it's probably good enough for you!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
55 Posts
I really recommend to put some money aside and invest in a better sub like the Arendal 1961 1S (or the Legacy Sub 1). The 1961 1S is very small and goes very deep beneath 20 Hz (surprisingly for the size and as closed one). Furthermore you will get a DSP and many options for customizing the subwoofer. I think BK subwoofers are a good "bang for the buck", too.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, although the Wharfedale rolls off at 35Hz meaning it will be good for music, not great for movies.

Are you able to order subs shipped from the UK? If yes, I'd look at this company if you watch a lot of blockbuster action movies:
which BK model would you recommend for movies if I could stretch the budget a little more? I can see that they ship to Denmark, so I think I will go with a sub from BK if they should be good for movies. But I would prefer a 12” sub and as powerful and as low in frequency as possible for the price. So im chasing the most bang for the buck for movies

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I really recommend to put some money aside and invest in a better sub like the Arendal 1961 1S (or the Legacy Sub 1). The 1961 1S is very small and goes very deep beneath 20 Hz (surprisingly for the size and as closed one). Furthermore you will get a DSP and many options for customizing the subwoofer. I think BK subwoofers are a good "bang for the buck", too.
thanks for replying. But arendal seem kind of expensive.I can see you recommend BK as well. As I askedzorba, which bk aub would you recommend for the most bangfor the buck for movies?

·
Registered
18,495 Posts
which BK model would you recommend for movies if I could stretch the budget a little more? I can see that they ship to Denmark, so I think I will go with a sub from BK if they should be good for movies. But I would prefer a 12” sub and as powerful and as low in frequency as possible for the price. So im chasing the most bang for the buck for movies
If you're able to stretch your budget this would be really worth it, especially if you have an open plan home.

Or this, a little less:

·
Registered
55 Posts
thanks for replying. But arendal seem kind of expensive.I can see you recommend BK as well. As I askedzorba, which bk aub would you recommend for the most bangfor the buck for movies?
I do not have a whole subwoofer from BK. But I do own the BSBPV500 sub bass amplifier for powering two Earthquake tactile transducers. The amplifier is very very well built, all solder joints are perfectly made. I have never seen such a well built amplifier.
On the other hand, I know from some users who have upgraded from BK to Arendal and are very satisifed with their decision. Arendal seems to be expensive, but in my opinion every cent worth it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I should probably mention that the rest of my setup isnt very highend. It consists of:

Pioneer receiver - VSX-LX303
4x focal sib surround speakers
1x focal sibXL center speaker
4x boston acoustics soundware xs (Placed in ceiling as atmos speakers)
1x Harman kardon subwoofer hkts200

·
Registered
9,069 Posts
There is bass quantity and then there is bass quality. Which are you after? BK will give you the former, Arendal will give you the latter.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Im looking to replace my current 8" subwoofer that I use for movies and tv shows. My current one is this Harman Kardon: harman/kardon HKTS 200SUB - subwoofer Specs

And the new one Im considering is this Wharfedale SW-12: SW-12 – WHARFEDALE

Speaker/sub-woofer opinions are 100% subjective. Especially on a website where there is no way to listen/judge for yourself.
My living room system, although quite low budget, includes 2 Polk PSW505 12" Powered Subwoofer's that I paid 199.00/ea. I have them stacked and located to the right front of my rt channel speaker.
Sound is plenty deep, powerful and musical for movies and music. No, they're not THX level subs, but neither is the price.

IMO any upgrade over your current sub even at 400.00 will be noticeable. Cheers! (y)

·
Registered
18,495 Posts
thanks. It looks awesome.Will you say it’s worth the extra money compared to this one that are a little cheaper and gets a reward for best sub under 500 usd?Platinum P12300-SB
For HT, yes. The other one is a sealed sub, which will give you faster and tighter bass for music but won't go quite as low nor offer the same output---usually 1/2 or 1/3 as much output as the ported version.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Honestly, any 12" sub from BK Electronics will put a huge goofy grin on your face.
That Platinum sub has the benefit of a smaller enclosure and no ports that MAY cause issues with placement. It allows for an easier upgrade path if you ever wish to go for dual subs, as a pair of them would save you ~250Euros over the FF.
The DF sub is only 10GBP more and will give you higher output at the tuning frequency. The Platinum uses a passive radiator instead of a port. From what I have read, it essentially does the same thing, just without the efficiency. There are pros and cons to everything.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts