Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't know whether this has already been posted, but from Star online:

"NEW 'SUPERMAN' CHOSEN

Brandon Routh has been cast to play "Superman" in the latest film in the man of steel franchise. The late Christopher Reeve previously portrayed the film version of "Superman." Routh has previously been seen on "Will & Grace". "Superman Returns" will be directed by "X-Men" filmmaker Bryan Singer. The OC's Mischa Barton and Topher Grace from "That '70s Show" are in talks to play Lois Lane and Jimmy Olsen."

Is this true. And who the heck is Brandon Routh??!!

htomei

·
Banned
5,823 Posts
I think it'll be a good choice.

Meanwhile, the Chicago Sun-Times says that the film's screenwriter, Dan Harris, revealed new details about the plot.

"He'll begin in his late 20s. He lost his powers in 'Superman 2' and now he has the powers back. But something has happened because he's been away for a long time," says Harris. "We're taking off from the first two Superman films with Christopher Reeve. We use his history and then move on with big twists and great special effects.

He adds that they are "not going to do the origin story again. Our view is if you're over 25 years old, then you've seen the Reeve films and that's Superman to you. If you're under 25, then you watch TV's 'Smallville,' and that's Superman to you."

Seems theyre going to ignore Superman 3 and 4 and carry on the story from Superman 2.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Quote:
Seems theyre going to ignore Superman 3 and 4 and carry on the story from Superman 2.
I forsee a few problems. One, you can't just ignore two Superman films. You can but it doesn't make much sense. They are Superman films and they do star Reeve.

Second, so we'll go from a strapping 6'4" tall, 225 pound Reeve to a much smaller Routh that looks about a decade younger than Reeve. Okay!

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Terrell
I forsee a few problems. One, you can't just ignore two Superman films. You can but it doesn't make much sense. They are Superman films and they do star Reeve.
I'm kinda glad they're ignoring them. The first two I liked. The second two--well, at least *Supergirl* was so campy it was funny. The third and fourth Supes films, though, just seemed too mediocre for words...

And, what's this about Mischa Barton playing Lois? She's still a bloody teenager. Lois is supposed to be slightly older than Clark, not practically a Lolita type.

·
Banned
5,823 Posts
Quote:
Second, so we'll go from a strapping 6'4" tall, 225 pound Reeve to a much smaller Routh that looks about a decade younger than Reeve. Okay!
He's 25 which is the same age Reeves was when he filmed Superman and he's 6 feet 2 and they will have him working out ( as did Reeves )

I have no problems with them setting it after Superman 2 as the last two entries in the series were pretty bad with too much comedy in the third one and poor special effects and apparently over 30 minutes removed from the fourth one.

Bottom line is that after seeing what the director did with X-Men and its sequel i have complete faith in his ability to make this a great film, he won't dumb it down and he'll make sure the visual effects and the CGI don't overwhelm the plot and storyline.

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by htomei22
Mischa Barton and Topher Grace from "That '70s Show" are in talks to play Lois Lane and Jimmy Olsen."

Is this true. And who the heck is Brandon Routh??!!
I've never heard of Brandon Routh either. I think Topher Grace may be interesting as Jimmy Olsen though.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Steve. Great links.

htomei

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Art- In the second link, he looks fairly buff. If they have him working out like they did for Wolverine guy Jack ? then, he'll be fine I think. Much better Superman then Cage or the other choices.

As for skipping 3 & 4, they weren't really sequential to 1 & 2 IIRC. 3 & 4 could happen any time in any order. I'm just glad the MTV video McDonalds G guy whatever isn't doing the films.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Couldn't Bryan Singer have simply chosen Tom Welling to play Superman? Am I missing something here?

·
Registered
4,790 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mpedris
Couldn't Bryan Singer have simply chosen Tom Welling to play Superman? Am I missing something here?
I wish. I'm going to guess he's locked into some contractual obligations with Smallville. Shame, he'd be perfect as superman. He's got that young look to him, but has the older and bigger feel that Superman did in the 1st movie.

I have to agree with Art, I don't want to watch a Superman who looks like he could get knocked down by his co-star (Topher Grace). :( There's a big difference between being in shape and being imposing. I just don't get any sense of "presence" from Brandon Routh.

-JR

·
Registered
515 Posts
Ditto on the non-imposing look. Good god the last series of comics had supes looking like Ahnold.

I hope to christ they don't suit him up in some kind of fake batman muscles suit. The suit Chris Reeves wore is pretty much the best that a supes costume should look in my opininon, although the outfit Dean Cain wore was not bad either, remains true to the comics

·
Registered
6,194 Posts
I wonder if they will add a dedication to Christoher Reeve to the credits of this film. He defined Superman for many of us.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Whoopee! The next Superman is a latin/metrosexual from One life To Live.

I hope this movie doesn't just pickup after Superman 2. They need to do the origin. Just do it fast like Spiderman did. Don't waste time with some big name actor playing Jor-El talking about the Phantom Zone and Krypton's demise.

·
Registered
25,024 Posts
2sound,

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I just think that there is a change in demographics. I hate to say this but I liked the Spiderman movies but I kept thinking shouldn't this be Spiderboy where is SpiderMAN !

I can understand not wanting to use a bulky bodybuilder type but wasn't Reeves like 230 lbs and in shape. Maybe I'm a throw back but the comics and the previous guys have set a standard that I think needs to be maintained but it looks like the soap opera look will prevail.

Art

·
Registered
864 Posts
I want an 'imposing' Superman, too. And I would have liked to have seen Tom Welling get the role also (Although if I had to choose between Welling in 22 hours of Smallville per year or one 2 hour movie every three years, I would choose to go with someone different in the movies.)

On the other hand, I say give the new guy a chance. Hopefully, he can act. And everyone seems to think Welling is big enough to play Superman and according to IMDB he is only 6' 2 1/2". Not that much different from Routh.

Duane

(Hey, I am six two, also. I have the glasses part down for Clark Kent. Maybe I should have tried for the role!)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.