AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am basically looking to get a new system. My current system is about a 10 year old (as far as anyone can remember) Sharp system that only has a single left/right set of RCA inputs, so I figure anything I get will be good in comparison.

I'm looking at the onkyo S3300

can't post url, at amazon

the onkyo s5300

can't post url, at accessories4less.

or anything (receiver plus speakers) up to the $370-380 that the s5300 would be. The S3300 is still $300 through amazon but is out of stock. So my question is if it would be worth it to go for s5300, or something else. I don't particularly care that it was refurbished, since I buy stuff that is all the time and haven't had a problem - knock on wood.

I don't have any speaker wire (since it seems that's the first thing to just ignore from the box) so I'm looking at this for that

PSC14250 at amazon

I'm looking to buy today, since it seems some of the stuff I may be looking at might be residual black friday pricing.

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
go with the S5300, it has a powered subwoofer and slightly better speakers.

Don't worry about speaker wire, any Home Depot or Lowe's will have 2 conductor "lamp cord" or speaker wire - just get 16 gauge copper wire and you will be fine.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So you don't think that separate stuff can be found at that price with the current deals on? (meaning separate speakers, receiver)

I'm sure they do, but I'm guessing you didn't check what I was mentioning. It's 250 feet of 14 gauge for $36 and since it's amazon - free shipping. I really don't think any B&M store would have that sort of price. And yeah, I know 14 won't particularly help in comparison to 16 but it won't hurt either. (it was also cheaper than the 16 for $38 of the same length) I'm almost guaranteed to end up with more than enough and the extra thickness may come in handy sometime if I ever need it again.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by False_Dmitry_II /forum/post/19568897

So you don't think that separate stuff can be found at that price with the current deals on? (meaning separate speakers, receiver)

Not unless you find a sweetheart deal. Maybe after the holidays. A comparable receiver will be at least $200, if not $250, which doesn't leave much for any worthwhile speakers (that's why Onkyo/Yamaha/Denon HTIBs can have those receivers, they cheap out on the speakers.)

The Amazon speaker wire will be fine, although it wouldn't hurt to run to Lowes Depot just to see what they have. I've gotten 100 feet of 14 gauge for under $20, although that's not always the price.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay, I bought the S5300. I couldn't even find a similar receiver from that same refurbished dealer for $250.

If I connect the two extra speakers for 7.1 I will go beyond 100 feet, so I will get pretty close to spending the same amount for half the 250 foot spool, so I'm not really gonna bother. Might as well have more than enough wire for a similar price.

Thanks for everyone's help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts