AVS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 311 Posts

·
Registered
4,121 Posts
this is the news I've been waiting for. In Canada, SVS is the only ID company that has a presence here with local distribution. Hsu abandoned distribution here, leaving us to deal with border issues if we were to buy one. It's too bad because the ULS 15 was the perfect sub for me otherwise, a relatively compact, sealed, high quality sub, but I`d rather buy from a company that is set up for warranty repairs without border issues.

I didn't want a sub as big as the PB13 Ultra, but I still want good extension for my small-medium room, and the SB12 doesn`t dig deeply enough. Finally, SVS offering two high powered sealed us is perfect for us that were previously looking at Servo 15s, and JL Audios.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribbit /forum/post/15531064

yeah, i'm not in a hurry though, sealed might not really be for me.

i should probably go for a few more ultras ... oak and the cylinder are looking might attractive right now.

true, if that's your requirement. but me for example, the ported 13 will still be better than the sealed in terms of SPL above it's tuning point. (i only have a 4k sealed room).

granted, the new 16 will probably be louder in the upper frequencies. (that's what duals and quads are for)

When comparing same size woofers maybe. But when the sealed driver is 50% bigger all other things being equal in box size. I would prefer the bigger driver. I bet it will go just as loud if not louder.

·
Registered
261 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by warpdrive /forum/post/15538021

this is the news I've been waiting for. In Canada, SVS is the only ID company that has a presence here with local distribution. Hsu abandoned distribution here, leaving us to deal with border issues if we were to buy one. It's too bad because the ULS 15 was the perfect sub for me otherwise, a relatively compact, sealed, high quality sub, but I`d rather buy from a company that is set up for warranty repairs without border issues.

I didn't want a sub as big as the PB13 Ultra, but I still want good extension for my small-medium room, and the SB12 doesn`t dig deeply enough. Finally, SVS offering two high powered sealed us is perfect for us that were previously looking at Servo 15s, and JL Audios.

I totally agree, we're really lucky to have SVS here. I was about to buy from the US but seems like a huge hassle if anything needs to be repaired. I talked to the guys at sonic boom and they are top notch, very friendly and seem like they take really good care of their customers. I kind of want to wait for the sealed 16" but I don't think I can wait that long. The Ultra13 is so tempting

Would it be bad to have an ultra13 and then add a sealed 16 later on??

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
All depends on what the new sub can do, but I doubt it will be a great improvement over the PB13U. I would bet if you got the PB13U, you won't be bothered when the new subs come out.

·
Registered
261 Posts
yah I think I'm just gonna go with the pb13 ultra.. I haven't heard anything bad about it. Think they will be going down in price when these new subs are available??

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshane /forum/post/15539172

yah I think I'm just gonna go with the pb13 ultra.. I haven't heard anything bad about it. Think they will be going down in price when these new subs are available??

i doubt price would go down ... the new subs are in a different series and would not compete with the pb13ultra.

most people picking the sealed ultra over the ported 13 ultra would have the following as reasons:

WAF

size restrictions

they want the "tight" and "sealed sound"

ransac is right, i'm not bothered by the new sealed subs at all ... and am now considering more ported 13 ultras ... at least until next year.

·
Registered
6,952 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshane /forum/post/15539172

I wouldn't hold out for a price drop because I don't think the new models are going to replace the PB13. Watch for "B" stock or used for better prices.

·
Registered
261 Posts
thats what I want is the tight and sealed sound. I have heard that this ported ultra has tight bass as well and is able to dig really deep.

Finding a used ultra in Canada would be rare. I think I would rather by new and have the 3 year warranty

·
Registered
651 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribbit /forum/post/15539258

and am now considering more ported 13 ultras ... at least until next year.

ribbit, you have what, 6 PB13s already, and you're thinking of buying more!?!?

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
SB13-Plus:

- 1000W DSP with front-mounted bezel/display

- wireless connectivity

- 13.5" woofer with an overhung VC/motor (the Ultra 13.5" woofer is underhung)

- cube shaped with 16-17" outer dims

- side accent panels like the M-series and the PB12-Plus

- magnetically retained metal grille like the PB12-Plus and PB13-Ultra

SB16-Ultra:

- 1000W DSP with front-mounted bezel/display

- wireless connectivity

- 16.5" woofer with an underhung VC and radial neodymium motor

- cube shaped with 19-20" outer dims

- all veneer or gloss finishes like the PB13-Ultra

- magnetically retained metal grille like the PB13-Ultra

The DSP essentially replaces the analog controls, and does not necessarily imply an auto-EQ solution. While auto-EQ certainly exists on some of the DSP chipsets we're using, it almost assuredly won't be on the Plus model, but it may be an extra-cost option on the Ultra model.

While the auto-EQ is quite powerful (multi-band with multi-position algorithms and much better than the typical single band solutions floating around), it still doesn't have the processing power of the AS-EQ1, which will remain the optimal external EQ solution in any event.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Ed being that the EQ-1 is not far from release is there a spec sheet available for it yet?

·
Registered
2,996 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by t6902wf /forum/post/15541143

Ed being that the EQ-1 is not far from release is there a spec sheet available for it yet?

Please contact me at [email protected] or [email protected] . I'll be plowing through emails for a while, catching up from CES travel.

·
Registered
2,996 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelinas /forum/post/15541154

Thanks Ed,

Any details about your wall-mount picture-looking speakers?

Same as above - give us a shout at Sales. I can clarify features about the two products mentioned in this thread, but discussing anything else beyond the scope of the OP strays into marketing and is best handled by contacting SVS directly.

·
Registered
818 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Mullen /forum/post/15541176

Same as above - give us a shout at Sales. I can clarify features about the two products mentioned in this thread, but discussing anything else beyond the scope of the OP strays into marketing and is best handled by contacting SVS directly.

Fair enough. I have got to commend you for developing speakers that appear to have WAF that is thru the roof

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Ed,

Any ideas, if and when, we might see a dual driver PB13 ultra? How about a PB16 ultra using the new 16.5" driver (better yet make that a dual driver PB16)?

·
Registered
6,952 Posts
Scott, before you request that, do you have any idea how big that sub would need to be for deep tuning? Think Conquest-sized. For a dual 16, we would be close to A7-900 sized and about 400lbs.

Of course, they would be pretty cool. I just don't know whether the market would be big enough to warrent the developement cost for the company.

·
Registered
8,595 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojomike /forum/post/15542437

Scott, before you request that, do you have any idea how big that sub would need to be for deep tuning? Think Conquest-sized. For a dual 16, we would be close to A7-900 sized and about 400lbs.

Of course, they would be pretty cool. I just don't know whether the market would be big enough to warrent the developement cost for the company.

Yep, they are just too cost prohibitive to ship. You are much better served by just utilizing two independent subs. Most likely won't happen as the drivers, boxes and sometimes amps get heavier...

·
Registered
11,749 Posts
I got the feeling back when the U-13 came out, that it was about as large a sub SVS would be producing.

·
Registered
7,480 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojomike /forum/post/15542437

that makes me wonder when shipping costs will reflect the gas prices that have been cut in half since summer

actually more than half. last summer i was paying $3.75 and we went as low as $1.35 on new years eve and currently hovering around $1.53 even though oil has dropped again

the post office and UPS (and all the other shipping companies) must be making a fortune on gas savings since they haven't adjusted their prices to match the cost of fuel

41 - 60 of 311 Posts