AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be getting a new SVS sub (either the PB10-ISB or the PB12-ISD) in the very near future. I plan on calibrating it with Avia and a RS SPL meter. I have tried to use Avia on my old sub but it seems confusing as hell. Can someone explain or possibly point me to a guide on how to use a RS SPL meter and Avia to correctly calibrate my sub? Thanks.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Hoops,

Sounds like you already have a meter so no one will accuse me of trying to sell you one ;^)

There's a pretty easy (if long) tutorial on the process here:

http://www.svsubwoofers.com/faq.htm#meter

There's even some specific info on Avia in particular. The time you spend setting your speaker levels (which is all calibration really is) via your receiver's channel level controls is invaluable in my professional opinion. Sure, a bit confusing and time consuming, the first time. Once you finally get it though, it'll become routine and you'll fully appreciate the better soundstage you get (even without a sub).

When it comes to integrating the sub's own output Avia and the SPL meter combo goes from "nice" to "critical". Even in a day when "auto-setup" routines are becoming commonplace, there is still no substitute for a full system check from your DVD player to your speakers, as a test DVD like Avia provides.

Ron

SVS

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Ron. I read (in another sub tutorial somewhere that I can't find now), that you should turn the sub off when calibrating the other 5 speakers. Is this right?

·
Registered
692 Posts
Hoops,

No, that's not correct. In fact if you do it with Avia it'll totally hose your results. With Avia the sub is actually calibrated with re-directed bass that's routed from the main channels. So all speakers must all be set to small, and you have to have the sub on, even for the mains.

Ron

SVS

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.