AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I just convinced the family to do the upgrade thing :) and I figured that I should probably run my choices through you guys. Here is the situation - I have some money to spend on upgrading these two systems:

System A (7 Years Old)

- Bose Acoustomass 10 (not my choice)

- Onkyo 474

- Mitsubishi VS-45609 RPTV

- Panasonic DVD Changer (old, interlaced)

- Philips DirecTiVo

System B (6 Months old)

- Klipsch Synergy SB-1 mains, SC-1 center, SS-1 surrounds, KSW-12 sub

- Onkyo 797

- JVC XV-F85 DVD Changer (progressive)

- Philips DirecTiVo

- HTPC

- JVC HR-SU4600 VCR

- Sony WEGA KV-32FS13

This is my plan:

- Buy a Denon 4802 to replace the Onkyo 797, and move the 797 to "system A" to replace the 474

- Chuck the Bose, and get B&W 600 series all the way around

- Move the KSW-12 to "system A" get an SVS 16-46CS+ w/ Amp for "system B"

- Move the JVC dvd player to "system A" and get a Denon DVD-1600 for "system B"

- Not sure about the TV's yet - but both will be replaced

Here are my questions -

- I earmarked about 3000 for the receiver for "system B", and I'm not sure what to do. I have always loved the Denon's pre-amp stage (I NEED more than 5 or 6 video inputs) and find it to be the best overall value. I am also considering Marantz 9200, Pioneer 47TX/49TX, and B&K 307. Any opinions would be appreciated.

- Are my current Klipsches enough for the Denon? If not, I may be able to trade them in toward the purchase of better speakers. Any ideas? (95% HT, 5% Music) Also, opinions on the B&W 600 series would be appreciated.

- Any opinions about the TV's would be GREATLY appreciated. As you can see, any HD is an improvement, but this DVI/HDCP thing has me on edge.

I know this is alot - but thanks for your help.

Moderators - I had no idea where to put this! Parts of it fit in different forums! Sorry!

·
Registered
7,655 Posts
If you are nervous about the DVI/HDCP thing, try Mitsubushi. They offer a guaranteed upgrade path/outboard box "at a reasonable price (whatever that means)" for their sets. Not sure what it will end up being but at least they are making an effort.

As for the B&W's, if you are mostly HT and little music, I think you could do better for the money. Not that they aren't good but they really shine on music which is not your primary goal. Have you tried looking at the Snell K.5? Easier to drive, deeper bass, more dynamic, good imaging, and still sounds good on music. I think they are around $800/pr. Personally, I think they would be a much better match for a receiver.

Don't get me wrong. I have just never heard B&Ws sound real good unless they had some SERIOUS electronics driving them. Then they really sing. Not your situation though.

For the electronics, gee, where to start. For $3k, you could buy a used Lexicon DC1 and a used Rotel 5 channel amp that would absolutely SMOKE those receivers for both music and HT.

Just a thought.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.