Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,

I've been building PCs for over 10 years now and my new systen that I'm building for my theater is driving me nutz.

I've stripped it to the bare necesities.

AMD 1.4GHz

MoBo = ECS K7S5A with onboard Ethernet.

Video = GeForce2 MX400

HDD = IBM 15gig 7200 rpm (master)

IBM 20gig 5400 rpm (slave)

CDR = TDK 161040X

OS = WinXP

I pulled out the SB Live, and DVD drives and I've unplugged the slave HDD.

It runs fine for and hour or so then CLICK the power is off and it begines to boot a few seconds later.

The case and Power Supply are brand new and I have 3 case fans blowing.

can ANYBODY give me a clue?

:( :confused: :(

·
Registered
667 Posts
Les_D,

Does the motherboard have sensor utilities through software to shut down the system when it gets too hot or the fans are spinning too fast...etc? If so, check the thresholds. Is the CPU fan rated for that processor?

Another option is to take a spare hard drive and put Windows 98 SE or 2000 pro on it and take the drive with XP out temporarily and see if you get the same results. If the system is more stable with the other OS, then your problem lies somewhere in XP. Unfortunately, this would be where I would defer to another forum member with more experience with XP. I don't yet have enough experience with it to tell you where the problem may be in that OS.

Good Luck,

Dan

·
Registered
408 Posts
I have this board and have been using xp with it for weeks now. I would check the cpu temp. You can check it in the bios or run some software to check it. the 1.4 Athlon gets very hot and requires a very large heatsink/Fan combo. Also you might want to look into the power supply, these athlon systems love power and it takes alot of it to keep the up and running. hope this helps --- Justin

·
Registered
514 Posts
You didn't mention your power supply either...If your PSU can't supply enough power for the 1.4 T-Bird, then this can also cause reboots.

I'm assuming that you bought a new PSU that is rated for this CPU, but since you didn't mention it...

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Guys!

I'm using a Thermitek (???) Valcano heatsing/fan.

I'll have to check the name of the PSU, I think it is TIIC.

It is a 320 watt supply, and is rated for athe Athalon and P4.

The CPU temp hovers around 118-120 F. (is that too high?)

The front fan is motherboard controled and I can hear it speedup every so often. the PSU fan is fixed and the back fan is 12v fixed (always full speed)

I bought 3 identical systems, My brothers is running ME and it rebooted itself a few times but it is no longer doing this ?????

My mother-in-law's is not yet fuly opperational, she's waiting on a DVD-R and a coupla 100gig drives.......

If this is a PSU problem she'll be plenty P.O.ed. :rolleyes:

Thanks,

LES

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
I've read about this on gaming forums with this motherboard. It is the power supply. You have to get one that works with this motherboard. Not all power supplys are equal, no matter what power output it has. Someone said an Antec power supply worked for him. I have the same motherboard and had problems cold booting. When I changed the power supply to another one (same wattage) it worked fine

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
I'll second Paul on this one, as we ran into the same exact problem when we first started using Athlons long ago. Looking at the list of approved power supplies approved by AMD was futile, as the manufacturers were always changing components. We finally had to call in one of the "approved" power supply manufacturer to come and look at the problem at our office. It seems that what worked with one speed would not necessarily work on another. They may have finally figured out their problems, but we moved away from this configuration soon after all the commotion.

Kei Clark

Digital Connection

·
Registered
514 Posts
I don't know that this is the cause, but it is a possibility:

In the Epox forum on amdmb.com, a lot of people were reporting instability with an Epox 8k7a and Enermax PSUs, especially at higher clock speeds or overclocking. Eventually it was determined that the 5v line was dropping below tolerance, and it was suspected that this was causing the crashes.

Recently it came to light that Enermax (and some other) PSUs only sense on the 3.3V line in order to regulate voltage output, yet the 8k7a (and some other) motherboards derive their 3.3V from the 5V line, effectively leaving the PSU no way to regulate the voltage output.

It seems that motherboard manufacturers and PSU manufacturers don't talk to each other much.

(As a side effect, it is possible that this is the cause of Enermax Whispers being louder than expected - a lot of the power is being derived from the 5V lines, which may be causing the 5V regulators in the PSU to be hotter than Enermax anticipated for normal use, leader to faster fan speeds. I don't know yet, it's just a theory)

·
Registered
23 Posts
I had this exact same problem with a Asus A7V133 mobo with an Athlon 1.2 with Win XP. The thing is, my power supply is 400 Watts and specifically rated to work with Athlons. The rebooting happened right after I installed a new USR modem. I never solved the problem: I eventually did a clean install of Win Me and have not had the problem since (even though I have had other lockups with Win Me). I guess at this point with MS operating systems, you just have to pick your poison.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
AAAGGGGRRRRHHHHH!!!!!!!!

OK, here we go.......(deep breath)

Just to let you know, I bought these systems @ a computer show last weekend. (BEWARE)

The cases are El Cheepo.

The power supplies were $40 each.

the 266 DDR RAM was NoNamesuppercheep

I usualy don't go so cheep but I was there to buy a system for my Mother-(must be the fastest and Best)in-Law, and my Father-(Please keep me in the black)in-Law.

My wife was distracted and OK'd may "request" for a new system "If you keep it cheep".

I got this because of cost, and my father-in-law said,"If it's good enough for him it's good enough for us."

============================================

I dropped the buss speed to 100MHz (CPU=1050) and it has not re-booted since.....

I may try to track down the place that I bought from and see if they'll replace the PSU.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I would check to make sure that you don't have a standoff underneath the mb that is not aligned with a screw hole. I may just be brushing against the bottom of the mb, shorting it. This will cause the system to immediately shut off.

·
Banned
1,007 Posts
Yes, even though Paul is on Lon Gisland, he is correct. Also tilt the case a little either way and make sure there is not a screw rolling around somewhere.

I had to use a different size standoff one time. Well I figured the screw was important so I put one in that didn't stay in there. The screw eventually came out and rolled around on my motherboard for a couple of days. Right about that time I had one of my hard drives all corrupted. I'm pretty convinced that it was the screw.

Also, While switching between different displays and keyboards and working on my system I had a similar problem. I ended up clearing the CMOS (there is a jumper on my mobo) and also taking the battery out and putting it back in. Unplugged the computer for a while, plugged it back in. Can't tell you which one of these helped the situation, but it worked. I had gotten scared that I really screwed my system up.

Your success in setting the FSB to 100 makes us all think that it would be a power supply problem though. Also I would make sure that there isn't a dip switch on your motherboard for setting the clock speed to 133.

And also, the ECS motherboard may have some real problems. There is a thread here recently that has a link for ECS user forums with many posts about setup problems.

If any of these suggestions offend you, just remember I don't know exactly your experience. Just trying to help.:D

good luck finding a fix.

·
Registered
326 Posts
A PSU being Athlon-approved doesn't mean a whole lot. It could just support an 800... The higher speeds require much more power. Here's the AMD page to look up the PSUs they've tested and approved for different speeds. A PSU NOT being on there doesn't necessarily mean it won't work, but I wouldn't risk it. I've built up about 15 1.2GHz to 1.4GHz Athlons and have seen several strange problems fixed with a better PSU. A couple would actually boot and run fine, but wouldn't reboot. You'd have to pull the power cord and wait 10 seconds anytime you tried to either reboot or make BIOS changes.

-will

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.