AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I just bought an Onkyo SKS-HT870 and i have some audio questions. On my previous Onkyo system i had the speakers plugged into my samsung tv by a RCA cable and then had my laptop hooked up to the receiver by a L/R stereo cable? to headphone jack.

This would allow me to have my xbox and TV sound on one input i.e "CBL/SAT" and then use "AUX" for my computer. I am returning the HTIB i bought because i have it connected with a digital optic cable and i am tired of plugging it in/out when i want to listen to music but have the TV on

if you were doing this setup how would you connect these components

52" Samsung Plasma

Onkyo SKS-HT780

Sony Blu-ray Player

Xbox

Comcast Remote Box

Macbook Pro

Thanks!

·
Registered
806 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by th3godf4th3r /forum/post/0

Hey guys,

I just bought an Onkyo SKS-HT870 and i have some audio questions. On my previous Onkyo system i had the speakers plugged into my samsung tv by a RCA cable and then had my laptop hooked up to the receiver by a L/R stereo cable? to headphone jack.

This would allow me to have my xbox and TV sound on one input i.e "CBL/SAT" and then use "AUX" for my computer. I am returning the HTIB i bought because i have it connected with a digital optic cable and i am tired of plugging it in/out when i want to listen to music but have the TV on

if you were doing this setup how would you connect these components

52" Samsung Plasma

Onkyo SKS-HT780

Sony Blu-ray Player

Xbox

Comcast Remote Box

Macbook Pro

Thanks!

The Onkyo system you listed appears to just be speakers. Do you have a receiver?

The ideal would be to have a receiver with inputs for all of your devices. I would suggest using HDMI inputs for each device to be connected if possible. HDMI or optical is needed for surround unless you have devices and a receiver with analog surround connections, which is rare these days.

HTiB systems often don't have enough inputs to support the number of devices you have, so you may need to look at dedicated AV receivers.

As for watching tv while listening to music, that can be a challenge with modern AV receivers, but if your cable box has HDMI outputs and component outputs, you could wire up both. Use the

HDMI to watch tv with sound, then wire the component connection directly to the TV. This will allow you to select the component source on the tv and watch it with any audio source on your receiver. If you were to have a receiver that converts analog video to digital, another option may be to wire the component video to your receiver and pair that input to your audio source of choice.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sorry i blanked out there, should be Onkyo HT-S3400. I was looking at those other speakers and accidently thought it was this one.

so should i connect my xbox, cable box and blu ray all up to the Onkyo then use an hdmi to connect that to the tv or what?

·
Registered
806 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by th3godf4th3r /forum/post/0

sorry i blanked out there, should be Onkyo HT-S3400. I was looking at those other speakers and accidently thought it was this one.

so should i connect my xbox, cable box and blu ray all up to the Onkyo then use an hdmi to connect that to the tv or what?

Yes, that is what you should do.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.