AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question on how I should wire up my new Home Theater package.

My setup is:

Samsung LN46A6501F

Yamaha RX-663

HD DVR directv

PS3

Klipsch SL5 w/ 10"Sub

My question is in reference on how to connect all these the best way using HDMI connections.

What I would like to be able to do is to run the HDMI cables from the HD DVR, and the PS3 into the a/v receiver. Then just run one HDMI cable to the TV.

I want to be able to allow my wife to watch tv without the receiver having to be on, but then when I get home I can turn on the receiver and have it my way.

I have read a few threads on adding optical cables but I am still kinda new to the HDMI stuff.

Any help is greatly helpful.

Also if I left something out, feel free to let me know and I can get you the info.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Would it work if I set it up like this?

HD DVR via HDMI to TV

PS3 via HDMI to TV

Then just run an Optical or Coaxial cable from the DTV and PS3 to the AVR?

Am I in the wrong section? If so please direct me in the correct way.

·
Registered
8,987 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kezell /forum/post/14237733

Would it work if I set it up like this?

HD DVR via HDMI to TV

PS3 via HDMI to TV

Then just run an Optical or Coaxial cable from the DTV and PS3 to the AVR?

That won't work. Most TVs downmix the optical output to stereo for audio from external components. You only get 5.1 through that output from the TV's internal tuner.

For the cable box, your best bet is to go HDMI to the TV and optical audio to the receiver. The TV would get audio over HDMI regardless of whether the AVR is turned on. This will work for most cable boxes. However, some of them use the HDMI handshake to control the audio sent out the optical port to the receiver. In that case, the optical output would get downmixed to stereo because that's all the TV can handle.

The PS3 is a different issue, assuming you want lossless audio from Blu-ray discs. You will have to run HDMI to the AVR. You could bypass the AVR by running a second component video/analog stereo connection to the TV. I don't have a PS3, but I recall reading that the HDMi and the optical audio/component video outputs are not active at the same time. If so, that simple solution would not be so simple after all.

How about this as an alternative? Wire everything through the receiver and get a remote like a Harmony. Our familyy room set up is fairly complicated, with an HDMI switch, three disc players (one with both optical and multichannel analog audio outputs), and a cable box. With the Harmony remote, a push of a single button powers all of the equipment and does all of the input switching. My wife and kids have no problem running our theater system. They just hit a button that says Watch TV. The remote turns on the TV, the receiver, and the cable box. It makes sure the TV and receiver are on the proper inputs. And the buttons on the remote run all the equipment - volume talks to receiver while the channel buttons, numbers, guide and menu, etc, talk to the cable box. The off button shuts everything down. Piece of cake.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I like the idea of running the DirecTV to the TV via HDMI and and audio out to the Receiver.

That would give me the option to just watch regular tv and use the tv speakers but then I can turn on the Home Theater and watch movies.....correct?

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
9,938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kezell /forum/post/14248991

I like the idea of running the DirecTV to the TV via HDMI and and audio out to the Receiver.

That would give me the option to just watch regular tv and use the tv speakers but then I can turn on the Home Theater and watch movies.....correct?

As long as the DirecTV box sends audio over HDMI and optical. You may have to adjust something in the box's settings, or maybe not.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Will the optical out on the tv (Samsung LN46A650) output 5.1 reguardless of the input signal being input?

·
Registered
8,987 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kezell /forum/post/14260159

Will the optical out on the tv (Samsung LN46A650) output 5.1 reguardless of the input signal being input?

Very doubtful. DD5.1 from the set's internal tuner will be output as DD5.1. Two channel inputs from the the tuner will be output as two channels. Any input from an external source such as a cable box or a disc player will likely be output as two channels. What does the manual say?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts