AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. Yesterday, I popped on here for the first time, looking for answers: What system would be best for me ~ $2000. After a little searching, I decided to post a thread. But, thanks to this forums ingenius functionality, it immediately recommended similar threads.

Unfortunately, that just confused me even more than I already was. There's just so much to consider...and I don't know sound systems well enough to understand what's best for my needs.

We're having a new room built in our house and looking to put a large TV and sound sytem in it. It's about 25' x 20' in dimensions. Originally, I thought the Bose V20 system was top of the line. But, that thought was quickly squashed by all the threads I read about how there's just as good/better equipment out there for less.

I've only been searching around for a few hours so far, but I haven't been able to find a complete system that is as integrated as the Bose V20. I like the idea of having just the display out in the open.

However, I'm the kind of person that wants the best (for what I can afford). And if the Bose system has holes in it's audio quality (in comparison to other systems), then I want to pursue all my options.

So far, the information I dug up indicates that Klipsch has a VERY nice set of speakers, the Quintet III (?) along with one of their 10" or 12" subs. I already read about the Onkyo HT-SP908 setup and that their recievers are pretty good.

But, I must admit, this is all a little overwhelming.

What I want is simple (I think): A very good sounding system. Something that can play movies and music (CD's, DVD's, Blue Ray's, MP3's). We've already got a PS3, though we may decide to add a dedicated Blue Ray player, depending on how much the sound system costs.

The Bose V20 is appealing due to the integration. But, sound quality is more important if I can improve that for the same price (or less).

Can someone recommend the components (or an all in one system) that might work best for me?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
I'd say get a Onkyo tx-sr 606 then one of their 7.1 speaker systems. That I think may be one of the cheaper solutions (certainly well under 2K, though not a true HtiB).

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjb16 /forum/post/14165435

I'd say get a Onkyo tx-sr 606 then one of their 7.1 speaker systems. That I think may be one of the cheaper solutions (certainly well under 2K, though not a true HtiB).

HTIB isn't necessary. The 606 seems like it's pretty nice.

Every thread I read, I come across a different reciever that seems nice, though. I may end up with analysis paralysis!!

Thank you!

·
Registered
1,367 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by swgod98 /forum/post/14166523

HTIB isn't necessary. The 606 seems like it's pretty nice.

Every thread I read, I come across a different reciever that seems nice, though. I may end up with analysis paralysis!!

Thank you!

I felt the same way, but decided to limit myself to one brand, then to options, and then by price. That made it a lot easier.

·
Registered
66 Posts
For $2,000 there's no reason to go with a HTIB system (unless having tiny speakers for the sake of looks is your main consideration), you can get a very nice full size system. Personally, I'd go with this:

Onkyo TX-SR606 receiver approx. $400. Or anything from Sony, Yamaha, Denon, etc. in that price range or above.

Speakers: Elemental Designs speakers, using their "package builder", including A6 6T6 towers for the front and A6 6T6 single for the center and a pair of the same for the surrounds, and a A3-300 subwoofer, total $1,304.75. leaves you with some money to play with, you could go with a bigger sub or a better receiver.

Or you could go with AV123 X series speakers, X MTM towers for $400, X CS center $129, X LS bookshelf for the surrounds $200, MWF 15 subwoofer $700, plus shipping, plus more if you want some fancy veneers. The speakers in basic black would just barely fit your budget, but the fancy veneers would put you over. Could get the fancy veneers and save some money on the sub by going with Elemental Designs.

Or matching speakers from Polk, Infinity, Klipsch, whatever you like.

Pretty much any of those would blast the Bose right off the face of the planet, and they'd all be "integrated" insofar as the speakers are matched to each other. You basically want your five speakers to be the same brand and from the same line. The sub isn't so important as far as matching with the rest of the system.

·
Registered
725 Posts
If you are looking for something small like Bose but with good SQ I say check out the Quad L-ite speaker package. The sub leaves a lot to be desired but that could be fixed with going for another sub. You can easily package out a system with 5 L-ite speakers and if you want a small sub with punch for HT go for something like the Sunfire HRS-12. That system right there would be similar in size to the Bose but with so much better sound.

Quad L-ite
http://www.quad-hifi.co.uk/ranges.ph...=4&sector_id=2

Sunfire HRS-12
http://www.sunfire.com/HRS.htm

Review: http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/s...chterm=sunfire

There is nothing wrong with wanting small speakers to fit your decor and there are some good options out there. Sometimes the people in here can get carried away. You don't need huge towers or big bookshelves to get good sound.

Another great sound small speaker within your price range is the Usher S-520 with matching center. You can't go wrong with either the Usher or Quad for what you are looking for.

Usher S-520
http://www.usheraudiousa.com/product...s-520-shielded

Center
http://www.usheraudiousa.com/product...center-channel

1 - 9 of 9 Posts