AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This thread is specific to the speakers.

Ok long story. I'm getting ready to graduate from nursing school in a few months and plan on doing an entire new home theater system. I want one in the living room and one up stairs. I plan on using my current system upstairs. The new system will be downstairs. I wanted opinions on speakers. Right now, well its more than I want to spend, but not entirely out of the question as this and handguns (1911's) are my hobbies.

Current System

TV -Samsung LNS4051DX -40" or maybe "42?

Blu Ray Player - Sony BDPS350

Reciever - Onkyo TXSR503

Floor Speaker -Infinity Primus 250

Center -Infinity Primus C25

Bookshelf (rears) - Primus 150

Sub - Infinity PS8

New System

Onkyo Blu Ray Player DVB-D606 -$430

Onkyo Reciever - TX-SR806B -$700

Samsung LN52A860 -$3000

Definitive

Center-MYTHOSTHRE -$550

Bookshelf-MYTHOSTWO-$1100

Subwoofer-IISUPERCUBE -$900

Floor -MYTHOSFOUR -$1400

or I may sub the floors with the MYTHOSTWO and for the rears use MYTHOSSIX. Please give me your opinions. This will be in an average sized living room. We may move, so it's hard to give a definite answer. What I don't want to do is get too much floor speaker and spend more than necessary. Possibly use the MYTHOSGEMXL ($600 pair), one in each corner (2 sets total).

I'm happy withe everything but the speakers. My current speaker system sounds good, but i've never had another speaker system so i'm not sure what else I should go with. Whether I should go with large floor,bookshelf, center speakers or a 5.1 system. I'm hoping someone here is a real audio nut. I'm big on clarity not booming. I do watch a ton of movies and the music I listen to is blues and classic rock (ZZ Top, Led Zeppelin, ACDC, Ozzy). Also should I be running my HDMI from the player to the reciever then to the tv or just from the player to the tv. I'm really new to the blu ray thing. I'm also unsure about running audio through HDMI or through an fiber optic cable. I had also given thought to running four bookshelfs and cutting out the floor speakers entirely. I'm unsure and need help. I just wasn't sure how big of a difference I would get out of any of the new systems since I am watching movies and not really listening to much music on them.

·
Registered
536 Posts
You'll find a lot of recommendations on here, but the other thing you'll run into is the assertion that speakers will be the most subjective part of your system. Meaning, no one here can tell you what your ears will think sounds good.

The best advice would be to find a dealer that has many high-end brands so you can audition them. Or, if you know others locally with high-end setups, audition those.

I, for one, hate the snobby attitudes of many dealers in these price ranges. As a result, I just picked up my first audiophile-quality system after spending over a month just reading on this board, and I went with Aperion Audio for a couple of reasons. The first and foremost being their customer service. They're amazingly cool people, and they don't care if this is your first quality system or your 30th. They also have a 30 day trial period, so you can audition them in your home. Those that own them seem to rave about their quality, so it was worth it for me to try. I don't know anything about the Infinity speaks you mentioned, but at the price range, Aperion can definitely compete, and maybe even save you some cash.

Don't know if that helps, but like I said...speakers are gonna be the part of the system that only your ears can help decide.

Good luck!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you. Its been time consuming. Opinions please. By the way I probably should have stated the obvious, i'm new to the forums lol.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Zach: You say you are into clarity and not booming, and you love blues and classic rock? You may be a Magnepan fan and not know it. If I were you, I'd see if you have a local audio shop near you that carries Magnepans and give them a listen. If not, and if you're willing to consider adding an outboard amplifier to your receiver (you'd use the preouts on the Onkyo), then Magnepan has what I consider to be the single biggest value in all of audio, the MMG speakers, at $550 and with an in-home trial for 60 days.

I had MMGs for two years....I bought them following my divorce because they were all I could afford and seemed like they had a lot of positive reviews. Well, they completely redefined my love of audio and music. They may or may not be for you, but I'd add them to your short list of systems to consider. The thing is, if you decide to go with Maggies, you need to do them the *right* way. There are many, many Maggie owners who can help you understand what the right way is, so give it some thought.

As for nursing, my advice would be to do med/surg for at least a year and then specialize

Maggie Links:
http://www.goodsound.com/equipment/magnepan_mmg.htm
http://www.audioreview.com/cat/speak...4_1594crx.aspx
http://forums.audioholics.com/forums...ead.php?t=7922
www.magnepan.com
http://www.soundadviceblog.com/?p=875

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will def check them out. I just heard all those speakers today, but the guy at Best Buy said people didn't really hook them up right to get the full potential out of them. So i'm not terribly sure if I would be going over kill by getting the front mains instead of 1 of the 2 bookshelf speaker combo's I listed. I don't want to loose sound, but I the sleek look of bookshelf speakers are so nice and the price is better. As for nursing that is the plan, that or ICU.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
I know you're asking for speaker advice, but I have Blu-ray suggestion.

- keep the Sony you have for another couple of months

- buy the Oppo BDP-83 when it comes out instead of the Onkyo

Edit: to provide input on what you were really asking:

- audio, you definitely want to go HDMI to the receiver

- therefore you want Blu-ray->receiver->TV, and any other source (satellite, cable, etc) should also go to the receiver and just one cable from the receiver to the TV

- I would spend time in the subwoofer forum and find threads talking about "best for $800-$1000; there are lots better subs in that range then what you've suggested

- you also have a pretty good budget, there are lots of excellent bookshelf speakers; again, several threads in this section with many suggestion for 5.0 in the $2000 range (see if you can find Tannoy Revolution Signature near you for a listen)

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Monitor/Bookshelf speakers are not necessarily a compromise. I've always preferred the magic that a smaller speaker can produce, and you can always add a subwoofer to fill in the low end. I've always found smaller speakers to image better, and often times the soundstage can be just as large as with a bigger floorstander. Many people prefer smaller speakers with a subwoofer because sometimes the room location for the best bass response isn't the same place as where you'd typically put your larger floorstanding speakers. With monitors you can still place them in the ideal location, and then try various locations for the subwoofer in order to obtain the best response.

There are a lot of great little speakers out there...don't limit yourself to what's available at Best Buy or CC. Look around your area for a *real* audio/HT shop. There are many very good brands that make speakers in all price ranges. Brands like Paradigm, Monitor Audio, Energy, PSB, Totem, etc.

Going to the ICU is a great idea. Be careful what you sign, though...don't lock yourself into some 2-year contract. With the climate in nursing right now, you can find a hospital that will agree to train you in critical care w/out locking you in long term. Don't sign anything longer than a year...that's my advice

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts
+1 on the Aperions. 30 day in home trial, free shipping BOTH ways, and excellent customer service. They also have a 1 year trade-up program. I have had my Aperions for a year-no complaints.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I will look at all of these sites. I certainly like prices better
. The Aperions, Para's phantom series and Tannoy all look nice. I'm back to not knowing which system to get though. I would have to order it and have it delivered. Which means I wouldn't be able to hear any.

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts
zach, I would stay with speakers you can test/audition in home. I know Aperions do this, they will pay for shipping back to them within the 30 day in home trial, so no cost to you. Also do a search for Aperions...quite a few positive reviews out there. I first heard about them on Cnet. I know a few recent home theatre magazines reviewed them and all have been positive. I currently have the 6T towers, 6C center with 4 surrounds.

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts
zach- The first thread posted I got the dreaded web page cannot be found. The second one the 6T Hybrid would most definately rock your world. For the last two days I have been listening with a Denon 3808ci in Direct mode with the towers and all I can say is wow...still impressed after having them awhile. I also listen to classic rock and the new stuff, streaming from my computer. Anyways I couldn't tell you much about the Bravus sub, I ended up buying a sv pb13 ultra-that will rock your world...very highly rated and good reviews from current customers. the Bravus just came out-this is the new model they have to replace their old. How big is your room? My main listening area is 18'x25'. I listen to 70% movies-TV, 30% music. Usually watch one or two blu-rays every weekend-sounds great on my system.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I didn't measure, but its about that size. The first one was the four bookshelf speakers (6b) and the same sub and center as listed in the second link.

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts
Well I enjoy the Towers for the movies and music. I can really run them loud and they stay clear. Anyways good luck in your search for quality speakers. A little off topic-I see you have 1911's also..me too a couple of Kimbers.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I like Kimber, girlfriends dad has a couple. I have Colt XSE (gov and com stainless), 1980's blued gov, para ordnance stainless gov, dan wesson bobtail, rock island mil-spec, para ordnance regal finish, gov, had a colt combat elite, but sold it for fear of ruining it, too pretty to shoot. Also have a Charles Daly AR-15, Charles Daly Tactical Pump, Browning Buckmark stainless .22, Daly Hi-Power.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I figured I should include that my room is 19x19, but we are considering moving at some point into a smaller house. Didn't know how big of a difference that would make.

·
Registered
936 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zach.riggs /forum/post/15591812

I figured I should include that my room is 19x19, but we are considering moving at some point into a smaller house. Didn't know how big of a difference that would make.

All the differance in the world.

I'm sorry to be the one to have to tell you this but...lock the guns up!

You may want to shoot yourself. :)

With a square room, no matter what the size, you'll never get the sound you're really looking for, no matter how expensive the speakers or anything else in the system.

These days with things like Audessey, you can correct for a small portion of that problem but nothing is going to overcome the problems of a square room.

It's just the way it is and you have to understand that before spending on new speakers.

The best recommendations may sound horrible!

If your serious about how you want this room to sound, you may want to start with a receiver that has room correction and take it from there.

EDIT: I was unfamiliar with the reciever you chose and just looked it up. It does have room correction so at least you're heading in the right direction. Whatever speakers you buy, make certain they can be returned. Your room is going to make it, just that much harder to pick something that's right.

Good luck

·
Registered
297 Posts
Next time you pop into best buy, ask them to play the vienna acoustics bookshelf speakers. They're actually really nice sounding bookshelfs.

·
Registered
936 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smcilwaine287 /forum/post/15592234

Next time you pop into best buy, ask them to play the vienna acoustics bookshelf speakers. They're actually really nice sounding bookshelfs.

There are alot of nice speakers avail., that goes without saying but unless BB has a square room for him, he'll run into more problems then most in any demo. His best bet is to listen to them in his room with his new reciever, that he doesn't quite own yet!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts