AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well guys, I was on here years ago and got some help with an Onkyo system, it was a Home Theater In A Box, and it finally bit the dust. I have like 0 dollars to my name and 4 HD devices total, haha so basically - I just want to know my cheapest, best option, to get decent sound and play all of my devices properly. My devices are as follows A 7-year-old Sony Bravia HDTV, like one of the first LED models they came out with. An Xbox 360, A WD TV Live Media Streamer, and an HD DVR from Comcast. I see things have changed quiet a bit since I last did research, and I'm not really sure if it's worth the hassle of buying another system like this one. I was wondering what my options are as far as maybe a good 2.1 sound bar system? And how I would go about setting one up, and it being able to play sound for all my devices seamlessly. Any help would be greatly appreciated and I apologize If I'm in the wrong subsection of the forums, I didn't really know where to put this!

Thanks again to any help!!

, Kendall Barron

EDIT:

I've just been told about HDMI splitters, how exactly does that work? How does it know which Device to change too?

·
Registered
38 Posts
I guess if you give us a good price range of what you're willing to spend, we might have better advice or recommendations for you. Oh and sound bars aren't truly a 2.1 system. But I would be happy to recommend you some entry level equipment if you give an idea of budget.

As for HDMI... you don't want a splitter but an HDMI selector. It will work like any AVR, multi-in with 1 out to the TV. You would however have to run a separate optical toslink or RCA back from the TV to listen to the a sound bar if you select one without an HDMI in. SO make sure you're ready for that if that comes to be your choice.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I have demo'ed many sound bars and I don't consider any of them "good sounding" - and those that do sound decent are much more expensive than a standard AVR / 2.1 speaker system. The only reason to get a soundbar is for space or looks - they just cannot compete with a standard audio system.

Example of a low cost ($300) system:

DENON AVR-1513 5.1ch Home Theater Receiver 3D ready - $150 with free shipping

Dayton Audio B652 6-1/2" 2-Way Bookshelf Speaker Pair - $40 /pr free shipping

Dayton Audio SUB-1000 10" 100 Watt Powered Subwoofer - $119

1 - 3 of 3 Posts