AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am the new owner of a Panasonic TH-42PX50U bought from Circuit City and I also just bought an upscaling toshiba dvd player. I do not know what kinds of tweaking I should do to the picture right off the bat, and I know there are many of you that do know, can someone help? One thing I have noticed is that When I watch dvds and put the dvd player in 16:9 mode I still have small black bars on the top and bottem of the screen. what gives? I bought a widescreen tv to watch dvds widescreen and fill the whole screen. Can anyone direct me to some help on Picture tweaking and getting rid of these black bars on this screen? thank you!

·
Registered
270 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benfica815
Hi, I am the new owner of a Panasonic TH-42PX50U bought from Circuit City and I also just bought an upscaling toshiba dvd player. I do not know what kinds of tweaking I should do to the picture right off the bat, and I know there are many of you that do know, can someone help? One thing I have noticed is that When I watch dvds and put the dvd player in 16:9 mode I still have small black bars on the top and bottem of the screen. what gives? I bought a widescreen tv to watch dvds widescreen and fill the whole screen. Can anyone direct me to some help on Picture tweaking and getting rid of these black bars on this screen? thank you!
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...t=aspect+ratio

·
Premium Member
18,319 Posts
Quote:
One thing I have noticed is that When I watch dvds and put the dvd player in 16:9 mode I still have small black bars on the top and bottem of the screen. what gives? I bought a widescreen tv to watch dvds widescreen and fill the whole screen. Can anyone direct me to some help on Picture tweaking and getting rid of these black bars on this screen? thank you!
Widescreen TVs are meant to fill the screen when watching HD content, but most DVDs will still have black bars top and bottom and there's nothing you can do about it if the DVD is in this format.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I'll throw a quick answer in case you don't want to do the links...

Your Widescreen TV has an aspect ratio of 1.78:1 and widescreen movies have aspect ratios of 1.85:1 or greater so you will technically always have black bars on your TV when watching a DVD movie (though realistically you typically won't see black bars on a 1.85:1 movie). Now, if your TV was the old "square" 4:3 then you'd have REALLY thick black bars on a, say, 2.35:1 movie.

If you're dead set on having no black bars then use the zoom feature and that'll chop off a small amount of picture on each side so the image will fill the screen.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Get the AVIA DVD Calibration DVD to help fine tune your new plasma tv. It costs about $30 and is well worth it. There's also some good tips here in the forum about how to get rid of the "green push bug" that some have experienced with the new Panny's.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
okay....whats this overscan stuff? what should I do with the settings to "break in" the screen, and whats the deal with this green push thing? I definately can see some green pushing i guess. Its not always so noticable but how do I fix this? Please help!!!!

Also.....what upconverting dvd player do you guys suggest?

Please, any help would be great!---thanks!

·
Registered
673 Posts
Quote:
I also just bought an upscaling toshiba dvd player.
You said you just bought a new DVD player. Why are you asking for recommendations?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I returned it because it was horrible. The picture seemed good but the remote was bad, and so was the setup. It kept jumping every time i went into the setup menus. Definately not a good DVD player period.

Still looking for help.................

·
Premium Member
18,319 Posts
Quote:
I guess none of you are willing enough to help me.......Thanks again!
What exactly do you need help with?

If you're asking for help deciding on which DVD player to get, you should ask in the DVD player forum instead of the Plasma forum. You'll get a lot more answers :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
okay....whats this overscan stuff? what should I do with the settings to "break in" the screen, and whats the deal with this green push thing? I definately can see some green pushing i guess. Its not always so noticable but how do I fix this? Please help!!!!

okay Ill go there for the dvd player.....but what about all this stuff.???

·
Registered
597 Posts
Quote:

Also.....what upconverting dvd player do you guys suggest?

ahahahahahhaahahahaahah that says it all. He aparently had no idea about the 'green push' until somebody mentioned it, now he can 'definatly see some green pushing i GUESS", and now its "please help!!!!!". This board breeds problems that either dont exist or barely exist. Try turning off color management, and turning down tint a little bit, that seems to resolve the green push if you do have it.

·
Registered
355 Posts
It's a little late, but I suggest you do more research before buying a plasma tv. Mot to put you down or anything, but you lack of knowledge on different ratios of movies says it all. I'm glad you took back the upconverting dvd player. Those things to me are a big waste of $$. Your tv upconverts the signal to its native resolution. The only difference in PQ would be if the dvd player did a better job at upconverting than the tv. Since you seem like e newbie to the A/V scene, you probably would never see the difference. Why do you want an upconverting player anyway? My guess is that the salesman told you you need one, right.

To fix the green push, turn off the color management. That stupid thing should never have been put on the tv's in the first place. If you have a copy of Shrek, watch it while switching color management on/off. It's literally unwatchable with it on.

As for picture settings, you may not know that the default settings of your tv will kill its life span. The picture(contrast) setting is maxed out by default. Turn it down to around 50%. You may want to turn the sharpness way down too to get rid of horrible edge artifacts. Everything else is set to 50% buy default. Keep the brightness around this level and adjust the other settings to your liking.

You have an awsome tv, now just do some reading so you can make the most out of it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you for actually answering some of my questions finally..... I will do those things you suggest. You also suggested reading more on the plasma? where do I do this? Also one of the reasons why I got the dvd player was becuase of the HDMI output. My old dvd player does not have this. I am now using the old one until I can find a better dvd player with HDMI output. Thank you! Please respond again!---

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I have a 50px50.

I also have the Panasonic DVD-S77 HDMI player that I'm very satsified with.

I have tint at -9, color at -2, Color Management Off.

No green push.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrock65
I have a 50px50.

I also have the Panasonic DVD-S77 HDMI player that I'm very satsified with.

I have tint at -9, color at -2, Color Management Off.

No green push.
The new CNET review of the 42px50u shows no green error at all in the color decoder.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Quote:
one of the reasons why I got the dvd player was becuase of the HDMI output. My old dvd player does not have this. I am now using the old one until I can find a better dvd player with HDMI output. Thank you! Please respond again!---
You don't need HDMI (high definition multimedia interface) DVD is not HD. Just use component cables. Save your $$ for a real HD DVD player coming soon.

I have the same TV as you. DVD's look great. Actually, I have been watching so much HDTV that I find myself questioning the PQ while playing DVD's wondering if it's the DVD or TV that is responsible. I have to keep telling myself, "this is not HD".

DVD's look far better on this TV than anyother I looked at. I brought in some DVD's to BB and had the salesman hook up a DVD player to a lot of TV's. The Panasonic was the last tested and even the salesman was surprived at how good it looked over the other plasmas.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Quote:
Thank you for actually answering some of my questions finally..... I will do those things you suggest. You also suggested reading more on the plasma? where do I do this? Also one of the reasons why I got the dvd player was becuase of the HDMI output. My old dvd player does not have this. I am now using the old one until I can find a better dvd player with HDMI output. Thank you! Please respond again!---

I recently purchased the same Plasma and just finished the 100 hour breakin period a few days ago. Although I just started posting here in the last couple of weeks, I've been researching Plasmas on here for over a year and I can tell you that this site has a wealth of information.I've learned a ton just from reading other peoples experiences and it was invaluable to me when deciding what plasma to buy and how to hook it up. I would suggest that you start with the "Panny plasma facts" thread and then do a search on upconverting DVD players. I am by no means an expert but these threads have been extremely helpful to me. Also I'm in the same situation as far as upconverting DVD players, there seems to be a good deal debate on how great a picture difference is from a standard progressive DVD player to an upconverting one. Considering that HD DVD players will be hitting the stores in a few months, and will obviously blow both standards out of the water, I decided to wait or that.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
thank you everyone who has responded.....Shasta....what settings did you change for the break in period....and now that its over what have u changed again??----thanks for all the replies!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.