AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Long time lurker, first time poster! I'm not the only one, right?

So here is my question. I'm building a new house with a dedicated theater and I have a $20K budget for gear. I already have a list in my head, but I'd like to hear what others would do. Here are some details:

- I'd like a 7.2 system, no need for Atmos. I'm not sure if this is just a gimmick.
- 10' diagonal screen, 1080P projector. I'll upgrade to 4K when it's available.
- All in-wall speakers, except subwoofers
- Not sure if I want front channels behind an acoustically transparent screen or not
- Still debating between a receiver or separates

So, what would you do if you were building my theater?

Thanks.

·
Registered
10,873 Posts
- I'd like a 7.2 system, no need for Atmos. I'm not sure if this is just a gimmick.
The demos are good. If the media support follows (DTS's entry may also help here, but they will be dueling codecs), it's probably going to be around. But regardless, all you need for it is the pre-wiring. For $10 of speaker wire, it's worth having the in-ceiling locations strung.

- 10' diagonal screen, 1080P projector. I'll upgrade to 4K when it's available.
Screen size will depend on your seating plan - figure out the room layout first.

- Not sure if I want front channels behind an acoustically transparent screen or not
If you're in the planning stage - definitely something you should consider.

- Still debating between a receiver or separates
Stop debating and forget about it for now. Don't purchase any gear until you're ready to move in...

So, what would you do if you were building my theater?
Read lots. Read lots of threads here. And plan. Plan. Plan some more...

(Also, read a bunch of threads about "pre-wiring" in the Home AV Distribution forum down a few if you're building a new house - never get a second chance for pre-wire!)

Jeff

1 - 4 of 4 Posts