AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I am putting in a new room in the basement. I am considering the Epson 5030. I would like to have a 120" screen (135" diagonal) Does this make sense with the room dimensions (seen in attachment)? If you don't want to look at the attachment, I will probably mount the projector 14'6" from the screen. The ceiling will probably be white, while the walls will probably be a light tan type color. Basically it will also be the main living room. The lighting will consist of dimmed LED cans and light from a window (6'x3') 15' from the screen. Blackout curtains are a quick and acceptable solution for daytime viewing. I could also use a retractable screen recommendation. I am also wanting this for 3D viewing. Thanks in advance for the help.
E-300Layout11.pdf 84k .pdf file 

Attachments

·
Registered
10,866 Posts
How high is the ceiling? You've got your projector placed right over a high-traffic area. Remember that throw distance is from the lens to the screen - the projector body will be behind that.

Screen size is determined by your seating distance(s) and arrangements. Where do the seats go?

135" diagonal screen is a big screen. I would recommend that you wait until you have everything else done and can throw an image on the wall before making a final decision on screen size. Especially if you expect to use 3D - that puts a lot of light demand on your projector...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The ceiling will be 8' high. Seating will probably be 11 -12 ' from the screen, parallel to the bathroom. The screen goes on the left wall centered on the 13' space. I can easily wait on the screen, but could it work with what I am showing? If I bought the bigger screen, could I "shrink" the image without adverse consequences?

·
Registered
10,866 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sndnichols  /t/1524083/new-theater-living-room#post_24523431

The ceiling will be 8' high. Seating will probably be 11 -12 ' from the screen, parallel to the bathroom.

That's a big screen for 11' viewing distance. 110-120" is probably a better range. I would pull the projector in a foot or two if possible so it's not over the heads of folks walking through that hallway. You probably won't hit your head on it, but it's certainly in range of something you're carrying through the basement - or that the kids are...
Quote:
The screen goes on the left wall centered on the 13' space. I can easily wait on the screen, but could it work with what I am showing? If I bought the bigger screen, could I "shrink" the image without adverse consequences?

You don't want to shrink the image on the screen, you'll ruin the apparent contrast provided by the finished (black velvet) screen frame. Pick the right screen, after you test your size.

Jeff

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, I will do that. The screen will be recessed so I won't finish the ceiling. I will place the projector basically just behind the couch/chair/whatever my wife decides we "must" have or 13' from the screen. Shoot onto the finished wall to determine screen size. I appreciate the help! Does anyone disagree or have a different idea?

·
Registered
10,866 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sndnichols  /t/1524083/new-theater-living-room#post_24523823

Ok, I will do that. The screen will be recessed so I won't finish the ceiling.

Have you priced the recessed electric screens? You might want to do that before landing on that approach. Also figure out what control signals will be needed to manage the screen (up/down). Are you expecting to put a display on the wall for "everyday" use, or is there some other reason you don't just mount the screen on the wall?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The recessed screens I have been looking at are around $1500-2000. I want the 12V trigger signal from the projector. I have also seen them with the wall mount 3-way switches. Looking on visualapex. The WAF is driving recessed, along with 3 kids under 13. The everyday use is our upstairs family room 55 inch plasma.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts