Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Fellow Enthusiasts:

I am in the process of building a new home with a dedicated home theater room on the 2nd level. It is approximately 22' X 18'. My question is this; the way the room is designed, it has one half wall (the room is designed to overlook the foyer from the 2nd level); will this present a major problem with acoustics, or should I go ahead and completely close that wall off? My original plan was to use heavy curtains that could be closed during theater presentations and open at other times. I welcome all thoughts on the matter. I am still working out what kind of video I will have, but at this time I am leaning towards DLP or LCOS projection.

Thanks in Advance,

-Dan :)

·
Registered
7,655 Posts
Besides having no way to keep the sound from flowing into the rest of the house, you will have a tough time getting a good surround image and getting sufficient bass response. It will also be tough to control the light level.

By leaving that wall open, you are basically trying to fill the entire house with bass. You will also probably get some pretty nasty late reflections (audio) back into the theater.

If you want the option to leave it open, why not build a wall with some french doors. That way, you could put louvers on them to cut down light into the room and will also act as some small diffusors for the rear wall. You will also have a known volume to deal with for bass response and calculating RT60.

Just my opinion.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bpape:

First of all, let me thank you for your reply. I apologize for taking so long to reply, but building this house and working has taken up all of my free time.

Having said that, it wasn't possible to change the half wall design (there were overall house aesthetics that had to be taken into consideration). I have decided to post a quick graphic to show everyone what I am faced with. Perhaps I should talk to a home theater designer? I have some ideas about what to do, but welcome all input

-Dan

·
Registered
7,655 Posts
I see your dilemma but that does not change the sonic implications of the situation. The curtain will certainly help the video issues though. If you can't get real in-room bass with a single sub, you may want to try a second sub closer to the seats. You could also do bass shakers though I personally think they are a waste of money.

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bpape
You could also do bass shakers though I personally think they are a waste of money.
I am glad you added the disclaimer at the bottom of your post on that one! :)

I agree that you will loose lots of bass out the open area, but if you cannot avoid it, then deal with it in other ways. I would reccomend getting a Buttkicker to make up for the loss of bass. If you use a sub, or large front speakers and a BK'er, you will be able to feel the bass, without going out and buying 4 more subs, to fill the room with bass.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.