AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Warning: I ended up typing way more than I anticipated, you may need a few minutes to read this

Hi all, I've been lurking and viewing threads on this forum for a while now, and am now setting up a theater/gaming room in my new house. Previously my theater was setup in an open unfinished basement. I have a 73" mitsubishi tv, a denon 1611 receiver, and an acoustic audio 15" sub. The sub isn't the clearest, but for the price it filled up my old basement and I'm satisfied with it for now. The speakers belonged to my roomate so i will be buying some new ones. After completely remodeling the new house the budget is a little tight, so I'm thinking about the older series pioneer Andrew Jones line(2 towers, 2 bookshelfs and the center). I've also thought about picking up the infinity 363's when they go on sale again, but the matching center is much more expensive, or the monoprice premium speakers. The reason I'm leaning towards the older pioneers as opposed to the newer is I plan on upgrading in another year or so, and the less I spend now the sooner and more I can spend the next go around. After replaced i may move them to the living room, or bedroom.

But now for the questions.

1. My new house is a much less open design, with 4 staggered levels, the lowest being a finished completely underground basement. The image is pretty close to scale, and the grid lines are 1 foot. The layout of this room is difficult to decide where to place tv, but I am leaning towards the lower left part of picture. I am a bit concerned about how being in that tighter area will affect the sound, but the other options also seem to have flaws. The upper middle part would leave the optimal viewing area out in the middle of the room in the way and render the rest of the room useless, and I will most likely be putting in a bar in this area. The lower right area has two separate options, the first against the bedroom wall, or the second against the wall on the right. The first I feel may leave the viewing area too close to the tv, and also would prevent the rear surrounds from being placed behind the seating. The second would mean placing it right by the window well, which I don't really like the idea of. Which area do you guys think would be the best to place the tv?

2. Which of the speaker options do you recommend, pioneers, infintys, monoprice, or others. I guess I'm not on a strict budget, but more of looking for the best bang for my buck, and the fs51's plus the bs21's for $180, plus waiting for the center to go on sale again seems like a good option. The monoprice speakers are a much smaller speaker in general, would they be able to compete with the pioneers at higher volumes, and would pairing them with such a large sub seem unbalanced?

3. If I do end up placing it in the lower left, I am thinking of building a shelf into the closet next to the stairs beside it for my reciever, cable box, xbox, and bluray player. It would be opened up to access from by the tv, but would not having direct line sight, seeing as they would be recessed back into the wall, cause difficulties using a remote to control them. If so what is the easiest way to fix that so I wouldn't have to lean over, or get up to get a better angle to use the remote at.

Thanks for taking the time to read my autobiography, and thanks in advance for any help!

·
Registered
660 Posts
if you go with the pioneer speakers go with the bs 51 and bs 41 (bs 21 is inferior to the 41) and the center c21 I think.

I have two 51, center and four 41 and work great for me.i hope this help.neweeg have them often on sale.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ended up going with the newer pioneers on sale at amazon right now. Anyone have any suggestions on which way to setup the theater?

Thinking I'll probably end up going with the videosecu mounts for the bookshelfs(Unless anyone has another suggestion), and fix up something to raise the height of the towers a foot or so.

Mostly I'm worried about putting it in the smaller area because of how close the fronts would be to the side walls. They would practically be touching the side walls, is this going to mess up the sound so much the the at it makes this option void?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts